code speak

PDA

gary vale
April 8, 2009, 11:12 PM
Is there a thread I can read that would explain some of the more common terms I seem to be reading in different posts?

Phrases like;

bump...
PM me on this...

Or...is it THR tradition to just let the new members figure it out on our own?

Thanks

:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "code speak" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
April 8, 2009, 11:26 PM
There is an acronym list floating around, but not a 'phrase list'.

THR has a private message feature, aka 'PM'. It's accessed off the User CP or via the PM link on the upper right of every page. It's handy when you don't want to give out your email address but still want to interact directly with people on the forum.

'Bump' is a common thing for people to post on web-based forums, to keep a specific post on the first-page list of the forum. Since threads are displayed in order (newest content first), adding a post in the thread 'bumps' it to the top of the list.

jonc
April 25, 2009, 02:16 AM
What does IIRC and moot mean?

theken206
April 25, 2009, 02:20 AM
If I Remember Correctly.

bump is like TTT or To The Top, that is a post to get the thread back the the top of the page.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 25, 2009, 02:21 AM
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
Moot is a fairly common word. See more here: http://www.answers.com/moot

jonc
April 25, 2009, 02:38 AM
thanks theken and jorg

WardenWolf
April 25, 2009, 07:53 PM
Some acronyms are very odd and not properly explained. There's a few even I haven't figured out yet. I wish people would stop being lazy and just type things out.

ranger335v
April 25, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm too old and a bit too crusty to be concerned about any of it. If the poster isn't clear or speaks in code I ignore it. Fast. I ain't here to try to read minds or beween the lines.

Sunray
April 26, 2009, 12:33 AM
The word 'moot' isn't code. It's a real Queen's English word. It can be a verb, noun or adjective. 'A moot point', for example, means it's open for discussion. 'Moot', as an adjective, mostly means 'of little or no practical value or meaning'.
When in doubt of the spelling or meaning of real words, go here. http://dictionary.reference.com/
'U' and '4' aren't words. There, their and they're don't mean the same thing. Nor do to, too and two.

Nugilum
April 26, 2009, 01:32 AM
The THR Acronym List (http://www.thehighroad.org/library/acro/acron.html) :D

Cannonball888
April 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
IIRC, I went one AM to buy a SG for HD as well as a CCW BUG. The sale was FTF but everything went OK as I drove back in the PM to LA in my VW. Went I got to the range it was like ***? The BUG had 3 FTEs and the SG had 1 FTF which made me so POed for each POS I bought. I couldn't get a refund so I was just SOL but at least it wasn't TEOTWAWKI.

If you enjoyed reading about "code speak" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!