Can we have a casual talk section

PDA

dobrzemetal
April 9, 2009, 03:59 AM
I don't know how this will fly with the regular moderators of this online forum, but I was wondering if we could have a general talk forum about whatever? Hopefully this does not fall in the lines of TREASON in the online forums but ive noticed that alot or a majority of forum memebers want to speak whats on their minds without total subjection of what is posted whether it be or not be firearm related. What have you forum?? Will you let the people speak moderators?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can we have a casual talk section" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
April 9, 2009, 04:04 AM
It's not the Mods restricting people from speaking - it's the subjects that often come up in these general discussion forums taking the forum down.

We're here to talk guns, and the responsible and safe use of guns. If you want a random discussion forum, check out Armed Polite Society, our sister-forum for everything that's not on-topic here. There's a link to it on the top right hand of your screen.

rogerjames
April 9, 2009, 04:14 AM
:D:D:D.
You obviously haven't been here long grasshopper. Most inmates have more freedom of speech than you will have here.

Don't get me wrong, I love this forum but... I have never had my speech more monitored than I have here.

Dark Skies
April 9, 2009, 04:20 AM
I gather you've never visited the UK then, rogerjames?

JohnKSa
April 9, 2009, 04:21 AM
I love this forum but... I have never had my speech more monitored than I have here.There are lots of unmoderated/less moderated forums on the web including some firearms forums.

There's a reason you have CHOSEN to be here and not there. Why not tell us that instead of comparing yourself to an inmate. :rolleyes:

BullfrogKen
April 9, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hey, what do you know. It's Thursday already.

But to seriously address your question, this:

Probably should have been started in Technical, where suggestions are proposed;
and the question has been asked thousands of times, answered and stickied at the top of Technical.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - Please read before posting (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=350166)

5. Yes, Politics anywhere on the board will get your thread locked. We tried it, it got ugly and and cost us many members who got completely stupid when it came to political discussions. Plus it distracted from the main mission of THR. And NO, it's never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. Yes, even if hell freezes over. Go to APS (Linky-thingy in the upper right corner or each page.) to kvetch about Many Blood Sucking Insects.

6. You want an off-topic area ?? Try APS ("Armed Polite Society", our sister site). It's nothing but off-topic discussions.

rogerjames
April 9, 2009, 04:43 AM
There are lots of unmoderated/less moderated forums on the web including some firearms forums.

There's a reason you have CHOSEN to be here and not there. Why not tell us that instead of comparing yourself to an inmate.

Like I said... I love this forum.

From a practical standpoint, I understand the rules.

From a philosophical standpoint, I have a problem with "Big Brother" monitoring my speech on a forum dedicated to Constitutional Freedoms.

I value my membership on this forum and I do my best to follow the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to like all of them or be quiet about them... unless that is also against the rules :confused:

BullfrogKen
April 9, 2009, 05:12 AM
From a philosophical standpoint, I have a problem with "Big Brother" monitoring my speech on a forum dedicated to Constitutional Freedoms.

Well, most of us can deal with it.

Under the guise of not liking "big brother" monitoring your speech, arguments can be made that the forum should not restrict talk about religion, sex, swearing, or regulate bickering between the members.

But THR's mission never was about providing a forum for unregulated speech. Its narrow focus and civility is what's made THR so popular and so effective.

I value my membership on this forum and I do my best to follow the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to like all of them or be quiet about them... unless that is also against the rules

A note on FREE SPEECH:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment is greatly respected here on The High Road, as are all other Amendments that the Second Amendment defends. However, The High Road is private property and requests that members adhere to all forum policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who become members of The High Road. Those who break forum rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue to frequent or start your own board.

I wouldn't say its against the rules to complain. I'd call it more along the lines of obnoxious.

If you knew ahead of time you wouldn't like the rules here and would complain about them, then why did you sign up for an account?

XavierBreath
April 9, 2009, 07:47 AM
I have a problem with "Big Brother" monitoring my speech on a forum dedicated to Constitutional Freedoms.If you think moderators are scrutinizing your every post for infractions, you are incorrect.

Most of the time, we depend on the membership to let us know when things get out of line. We can not see everything, nor do we want to.

It is the membership that makes this forum what it is. They want it to be civil, productive and a repository of knowledge and experience. The staff simply attempts to apply the rules we have all agreed to without nepotism or favoritism.

At one time, The High Road had a subforum dedicated to general issues and whatever folks wanted to talk about. It was called The Round Table. It was taken down years ago when we decided to make the forum overall more focused. That is when Armed Polite Society (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/) was established as an alternative. It is always only one click away. The link is the APS link at the top of each THR forum page. You will find some of the same folks there, including some who are no longer here. The Round Table was moved there.

I'm moving this thread to Technical, where these threads about forum issues and concerns are usually kept.

bikerdoc
April 9, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yep, it is thursday.

If you think moderators are scrutinizing your every post for infractions, you are incorrect.

Most of the time, we depend on the membership to let us know when things get out of line. We can not see everything, nor do we want to.

There is the answer. The Mods are unpaid volunteers, who work regular jobs, have families, and outside interests. They cannot read every post. They get involved when someone hits the report button. Then they make a decision based on forum rules and policies- All off which are clearly stated.
Any "Big Brother" activity is coming from your fellow members

TexasRifleman
April 9, 2009, 09:36 AM
Yep, it is thursday.

Seriously. Why is it always on Thursdays? Is it some bizarre alignment of the Universe or something?

rbernie
April 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
but ive noticed that alot or a majority of forum memebers want to speak whats on their minds without total subjection of what is posted whether it be or not be firearm relatedThat's a common and not unreasonable idea. Sadly, if we did that, then this forum wouldn't be The High Road.

The High Road is:
an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership. It is the declared mission of this board to achieve and provide the highest quality of firearms discussion on the Internet

THR is not a news gossip forum, a movie/book/pop culture review forum, a chat forum, or even a general political forum.

It's. Just. Not.

That doesn't mean that those other types of forums aren't good and useful things. It just means that we're not that. There are other forums out there in cyberspace for those alternate topics. Use them. Enjoy them.

And don't forget to stop by here any time you want to talk guns.

But folk need to stop trying to make THR into their one-stop-shop-for-all-things-chatty-on-the-Internet, 'cuz it just ain't that.

Sam1911
April 9, 2009, 10:28 AM
I was wondering if we could have a general talk forum about whatever?

A Ferarri doesn't haul potatoes well. That's not what it's for.

The High Road forum doesn't provide a place for general and/or political discussions. That's not what it's for.

But the The High Road is better than a Ferarri, because the Ferarri won't even try to help you haul your potatoes. Whereas The High Road provides you with a little link right up in the top right corner of your screen that will let you go have your general and/or political discussions.

Easy, huh?

Now thank the mods for the great job they do and head on over to APS!

-Sam

Geno
April 9, 2009, 10:53 AM
Shame on those moderators, who moderate the moderated…without moderation. Baha! Did that make sense?! Good because neither does this thread. The APS exists for a reason. Seek the balance grasshoppa.

Geno

ilbob
April 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
Do you realize that complaining about the moderation policies will result in the mods sending the black helicopters after you? You may wish to restate your post. I suggest something like:

"The moderators on THR are examples of some of the finest specimens of human beings known to mankind. Fair to a fault, and without any personal bias whatsover in their moderating tasks."

Art Eatman
April 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm netiher biased nor bigoted. I have equal hatred for everybody.

JShirley
April 9, 2009, 12:56 PM
IOW, not human, bob? We work hard to be fair, but we're people. Some things all the staff agrees on, and some are judgment calls- but in all cases, we're working to keep THR the kind of place you can go for good information and to see gun owners and prospective gun owners at their best.

There are lots of other places on the net where one can see gun owners acting badly.

It's like the difference between a family restaurant and a bar and grill. Times and places for both, certainly, but we want to be the online place you could take your family without worrying some drunk cretin will barf on their shoes.

peace,

John

Zak Smith
April 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
Most inmates have more freedom of speech than you will have here.

Don't get me wrong, I love this forum but... I have never had my speech more monitored than I have here.
To re-quote THR's misson statement,
an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership. It is the declared mission of this board to achieve and provide the highest quality of firearms discussion on the Internet
The purpose of THR is to provide the best discussion forum for the advancement of responsible firearms ownership. That's what we're here for. Any productive discussion about firearms - that is, it relates to the advancement of responsible firearms ownership - is fine. Discuss whatever you like within those guidelines. We'll try our best to prevent or remove personal attacks, since they have no place in civilized discussion. The same goes for "low road" comments that promote irresponsible firearms use or illegal activity: expect that to be moderated. To keep the bar high and make THR a place for everyone (eg, including kids), swearing can't be allowed.

That's what THR is, why it's good, and why people keep coming back. The staff would prefer not to have to moderate at all, and the THR community itself is quite good at self-policing. All you have to do is keep your posts within the THR guidelines for content, don't use personal attacks, and don't swear. It's pretty simple.

-z

grampster
April 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
Mr. Art Eatman also has a grammaw who is a shade over 130 years old and has lived in Hardscrabble, Texas all of her years.

If you think the moderators are short tempered tramplers of free speech you should whisper a short prayer each morning that you don't befoul her wheat chex with an ill considered comment outside of the rather well defined outline of behavior here at THR.:what::eek::neener::D

....Just sayin'.....:scrutiny:

Brian Dale
April 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
"Black helicopters?" :eek:

:scrutiny:

The moderators on THR are examples of some of the finest specimens of human beings known to mankind: fair to a fault, and without any personal bias whatsoever in their moderating tasks.

Whew...got it in. ;)

Thanks for the warning, bob, and happy Thursday, everyone. :D

hso
April 9, 2009, 04:48 PM
To the OP, we tried that. The Round Table didn't work.

We started a whole separate forum for it. APS hasn't worked out very well either.

We tried, it didn't work, we tried a second way, that didn't work, not a lot of point in trying again.

BTW, inmates can't leave whenever they're unhappy being required to follow the rules.

ilbob
April 9, 2009, 05:45 PM
why not start your own forum? you can let posters say whatever they want.

redneck2
April 9, 2009, 07:18 PM
Mebbe that should clue you in...

See, I kinda enjoy the lack of mindless, irrational bickering and name calling that goes on in alternate locations. Been here lots of years and don't have to tolerate the childish drivel that some spew in the name of entertainment and/or enlightenment.

If you want to talk guns, shooting, etc. in a civil fashion this is your place, If not, the internet is a big, big tent.

Brian Williams
April 9, 2009, 07:41 PM
Why does everyone think that freedom of speech is their right to say whatever they want regardless of who they are saying it to. We don't care about your ability to say what you want, that is you are only protected from the government, not from moderators or even John Q Public.
I had a guy out front of my house swearing up a blue streak, I went out and told him to be quiet, he complained about his freedom of speech, I told him I am not the Government, just myself and I have just as much of a right not to have to hear him, He shut up and went away because he realized he was trampling on my rights.

So when you think you have the freedom to speak, make sure the people you are speaking to want to or care to hear it.

Ohm
April 9, 2009, 08:31 PM
See, I kinda enjoy the lack of mindless, irrational bickering and name calling that goes on in alternate locations. Been here lots of years and don't have to tolerate the childish drivel that some spew in the name of entertainment and/or enlightenment.

Yes. I can read this forum without periodically stepping into a pit lined with bamboo spikes and excrement. It's like a little oasis of civility and reason, and the very few exceptions are easily added to the ignore list.

As a counter-example to The High Road, visit the Nepa Crossroads web site on coal stoves. An informative site unfortunately damaged and unpleasant to read due to the unchecked presence of a few entrenched blowhards who post inane political and social opinion every 20 minutes or so during their every waking hour and are allowed to run wild by the moderators.

THR is good the way it is. Please don't let it be ruined.

61chalk
April 9, 2009, 08:45 PM
I've only been here a short time, have read alot, an posted probably to many times....my opinion is that what the OP suggested will never work here.....keep reading the many posts an you will soon see why.

sm
April 9, 2009, 10:50 PM
Thank goodness for Bashing Moderator Thursdays!

You see, when I moved, I lost my 2009 calendar, one purchased w-a-y ahead of time, in the fall of 2008.
It had a Black Lab dawgie on the front cover, and a different Black Lab dawgie picture for each month, but I digress.

Now I know what day of the week it is, at least Thursday's, because of Bashing Moderator Thursdays

Ain't the 'Net great!

Rodentman
April 9, 2009, 11:19 PM
I am relatively new here, but IMHO I prefer the forum stay on topic.

I have seen too many forums ruined by OT "debates." They become a colossal waste of time.

JohnKSa
April 10, 2009, 12:05 AM
There's a reason you have CHOSEN to be here and not there. Why not tell us that instead of comparing yourself to an inmate.Like I said... I love this forum.I didn't ask you if you loved the forum or not--that would have been stupid given that you'd already said you loved it. The question was WHY do you love this forum?

I submit, that though you may not be willing to admit it, or perhaps not introspective enough to realize it, that the moderation you complain about is exactly why you are here instead of mixing it up on one of the less civilized firearms forums.

dobrzemetal
April 11, 2009, 12:07 AM
So noted. Thanks for responding.

TimboKhan
April 11, 2009, 02:09 AM
I am not a moderator, nor are several of the people who responded to this post, and I think you will notice that the general theme is that we want it to stay on topic, and we generally like it the way it is. No offense dude, but 98 posts isn't enough to give you a sense of what the THR culture is all about. You will find that you will either start liking the lack of stupidity net-style, or you will require more stupidity net-style and leave. Either way works, I guess.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can we have a casual talk section" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!