Tryin to find out history of Liberty 21 .22LR

PDA

santaletter1
April 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
Tryin to find out history of Liberty 21 .22LR

Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I bought above revolver today. Seller told me it owned by his grandfather, it was his gun.:confused:
I think Liberty Arms made it? about 50 years ago.:banghead:
I never heard of Liberty Arms before today. So any information you can tell me will greatly increase my knowdelge on them.
Thank you,:)
Jonathon

If you enjoyed reading about "Tryin to find out history of Liberty 21 .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
April 10, 2009, 12:17 AM
My Standard Catlog of Firearms doesn't list any manufacturer or importer called Liberty Arms in their over 1000 names of companies that have imported or manufactured firearms in the US since its inception so I'd suspect the actual importer or manufacturer is a different company. A picture of the pistol would help in trying to ID the gun. Look for a company name stamped somewhere on the gun, it may be hidden under the grips.

There where lots of firearms imported by everyone from Sears and Roebuck to hardware stores that where sold with various names.

owlhoot
April 10, 2009, 03:44 AM
There was a rather cheap .22 single action revolver sold under the Liberty name, but that was more like 20 to 25 years ago. This gun was very similar, if not identical, to the current Heritage revolver.

Ten years ago an importer brought in both SA full sized revolvers as well as sxs shotguns under the liberty name. I believe the revolvers were made in Italy and the shotguns were made in either Russia or Turkey.

I don't recall anything from 50 years ago, but I would guess there were cheap pocket pistols in .22 and .32 from an earlier date, 1900 - 1920, that carried that name.

santaletter1
April 10, 2009, 11:27 AM
The picture is not mine, But it is same gun(mine is in working order and shoots good.)
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976926277/Guns/Pistols/L-Misc-Pistols/PARTS_OR_REPAIR_Liberty_21.htm#

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976926277/Guns/Pistols/L-Misc-Pistols/PARTS_OR_REPAIR_Liberty_21.htm#

I think it is German. Trigger has Germany on it.

owlhoot
April 12, 2009, 01:30 AM
That revolver was sold under a number of names, Clerke, Rohm, RG, Liberty, etc. All were made in Germany. Such guns cost around ten dollars new in the late 50's. They are a bona fide POS.

Importation was stopped by law around 1968. Incidentally, POS or not, I believe Sirhan Sirhan used such a gun to assassinate Bobby Kennedy and a similar .22 was used in the attempted assassination of Ronald Regan.

JohnBT
April 12, 2009, 09:18 AM
I don't think anybody knows what Sirhan used, if any of the stories published over the years are true. Like the one about Rafer Johnson taking the gun home and later turning it in.

http://www.realhistoryarchives.com/collections/assassinations/Sirhan%20and%20the%20RFK%20Assassination%20The%20Grand%20Illusion%20by%20Lisa%20Pease.htm

"After Sirhan was subdued, Rafer Johnson took the gun, and did not give it to the police. Instead, he went home and wrote the gun number in his diary. Almost two hours after the incident, he took the gun to the police. The following is the very curious exchange recorded when Rafer handed the gun to Sgt. Michael J. McGann of Homicide, in the presence of Sgt. R. L. Calkins:

McGann: We have an Iver—

Calkins: Iver-Johnson—

McGann: Iver-Johnson Cadet, model 55-A

Calkins: More of these goddamn guns kill more people—

McGann: Model number 50—number 56-SA. The serial number is H53725...."

"It is a shame McGann couldn’t have told us only one model number when he took the gun into evidence. Like so much of the evidence in this case, it may go down as an unsolvable mystery.

The gun in evidence today is an Iver-Johnson Cadet, Model 55-SA.

Iver Johnson Model 56-A, however, is a starter gun that fires blank cartridges. ?"

radixon67
July 13, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have a liberty 21 but its not a 22 cal. does anyone know about it. the only markings on it is liberty 21 and a 4 didgit number and germany on the trigger

If you enjoyed reading about "Tryin to find out history of Liberty 21 .22LR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!