Drawing attention for the sake of confrontation

PDA

desert gator
April 10, 2009, 12:12 AM
I am fairly new to guns and carrying them. I have met and read stories about people who end up in negative social situations for open carrying. Allot of these people I feel purposely open carry in hopes that it will start confrontation so they can rant and rave about it being there right. While I know that it is legal in allot of places, I feel like some people open carry for no other reason than to dare people to say something. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to open. Carry, I am not the least bit bothered by it. I am just sharing my perspective as a new gun enthusiest

If you enjoyed reading about "Drawing attention for the sake of confrontation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 12:17 AM
If you weren't bothered by it why post this rant?

I live in a city where O.C., while not prevelant , isn't uncommon & I've never known it to be an issue.

kingpin008
April 10, 2009, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure I see the point of this post either. If it bothers you, ignore them. If it doesn't bother you, great.

Whether people are out to start problems or not is not your concern - until they try to start problems with you.

If open carrying really tweaks someone enough that they confront the carrier, that's not the carrier's fault. Walking around with an inanimate object strapped to one's person is not a viable reason to confront them, especially violently.

desert gator
April 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm not ranting about open carry. I'm just saying some people seem to do it to In hopes of getting a rise out of people who are offended by it

kingpin008
April 10, 2009, 12:29 AM
But as long as they (the OC'er) doesn't start any fights or confrontations, what does it matter what their intentions are?

Look, people are going to have a problem with people carrying guns, especially if they can see said gun. IMHO, it really doesn't matter what the intentions of the OC'er are, as long as that gun is carried in a safe, responsible manner.

Now, if they're going around bragging about it or threatening people with it, then yeah, that's a huge problem. But sometimes people need to be confronted with things that make them uncomfortable - especially when they're uncomfortable with those things because of irrational and illogical fears.

Long story short, there will always be someone who is offended by something. It's not my job (or anyone else's) to pussyfoot around these individuals for fear of making them uncomfortable. Sometimes people just have to grow up and deal - and that includes existing in society alongside people who OC.

largecaliber
April 10, 2009, 12:42 AM
When living in an open carry state, especially in a tourist based economy as it is here in Cody, Wyoming being close to Yellowstone Park, several of us have taken to open carry during the summer months even though we all have ccw's. The reason for that is we have found that several folks from places that don't allow such practices such as New York, Chicago, California and others will ask us why we do so. This gives us the chance to appeal to their common sense logic and explain to them how it is our right to do so and try to convince them that people who carry legally are not the criminals and after talking to them and buying them a cup of coffee, many of them walk away with a better understanding than what they get through the media. We realize that many will never change their brainwashed way of thinking but if we only get through to a few each year then it is worth it. And you would be surprised at how many do walk away with a better feeling about an honest citizen with a gun. So next time you see someone open carrying don't be concerned, he may be doing it to excersize his right or other. Just remember this, a right is like an appendage, if you dont exercise it you may lose it.

moi_self26
April 10, 2009, 12:45 AM
I personally don't open carry.... some people are bold enough not to care if someone calls the police on them for exercising their rights.... and I think that's awesome. But personally, I feel it's too big of a risk. I am a mother, if I get arrested for someone else's illogical fear... I don't have the luxury of the martyr like mentality... I have children that need me... period. I also don't care to have thousands upon thousands of dollars to defend myself if the local DA decides they want to try for a disturbing the peace/ inciting a riot charge.

I have nothing but respect for people who open carry (of course so long as they are doing it within the parameters of the law and not trying to provoke or threaten anyone), but personally don't feel comfortable doing so. It's a risk that I wish I could afford to take.

chris in va
April 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
I feel like some people open carry for no other reason than to dare people to say something

Well, you're a little off. Actually some people open carry to *educate* people on the practice. They're not trying to get in a confrontation or 'dare' anyone to say something. And yes, I speak from experience.

Personally though I would rather people just not say or do anything and let me be. It would make things so much easier.

It's a risk that I wish I could afford to take

I wish you could too. We have no 'inciting panic' clause in our carry rules, so an officer getting a MWAG call can only ask questions, detain and let you go if you're not trespassing. We had a guy walk out of WalMart (at 1am mind you) with a 1911 IWB only to have six cop cars swarm over him. He was disarmed and given many opinions as to why he shouldn't be open carrying. They couldn't arrest him for anything though and let him go.

desert gator
April 10, 2009, 12:56 AM
Great responses guys. Gave me some new perspectives and in sights

BhmBill
April 10, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm going to be OC'ing for a few months until I turn 21 and an get my CCW.

I have no intention of trying to get a rise out of people, but I do live in Las Vegas, and we're not exactly a safe city. I'm not carrying for anyone but me and my family. I WILL carry to educate or show people that it's not a crime and a gun doesn't make you a criminal or a bad person, but not to piss people off.

Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 02:46 AM
I OC occasionally I have yet to have anyone even comment. Most of the people I know that OC do so because its about 155.00$ cheaper than getting a permit every 5 years.

Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 02:47 AM
I OC occasionally I have yet to have anyone even comment. Most of the people I know that OC do so because its about 155.00$ cheaper than getting a permit every 5 years.

sarduy
April 10, 2009, 03:06 AM
so.... how can we open carry here in florida?

Hoplophile
April 10, 2009, 03:09 AM
No open carry in FL.

I don't really mind. I don't like open carry and it's not high on my list of "gun rights we need to secure right the hell now". I think the right to concealed carry and to simply own them is what we need to focus on.

That said, I support your right to do it. I simply choose not to.

April 10, 2009, 03:40 AM
I think if OC is not illegal but, is let's say discouraged, and someone wants the possible legal issues that come with OCing to make the point it is legal, all the more power to them. It will hopefully change the practice of discouraging people from engaging in a legal right.

But as I posted in the legal section, it can sometimes have the opposite effect. It seems if enough legislators get riled, they may decide to attempt an enactment of a law prohibiting it as is the case with a bill pending in CT.

Sometimes political activism doesn't achieve the goal sought. In the case of the CT bill, it's not a major loss since the gun laws are already very strict, but I could see it as a problem in some other states that aren't yet as antigun as CT.

Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 05:28 AM
Colorado would have to re-write the state constitution to outlaw OC

CajunBass
April 10, 2009, 06:12 AM
I'm not ranting about open carry. I'm just saying some people seem to do it to In hopes of getting a rise out of people who are offended by it

Well, if that's true, it's not working for me. I've been open carrying for years and have yet to have a confrontation with anyone. A couple of "what kind of gun is that" questions, but that's all.

Actually I've never met anyone in my life who was "offended" by guns. I've met people who didn't want any, but I've never met anyone who said I shouldn't be able to have them.

Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 06:24 AM
I've been open carrying for years and have yet to have a confrontation with anyone.

Well, obviously you're doing something wrong

TRGRHPY
April 10, 2009, 06:34 AM
I think for someone to get the kind of "rise" out of someone else, like you are talking about, I would imagine that the person oc'ing is going to have to pretty much be brandishing or something irresponsible. I have oc'd and have even had some strange looks before (I actually get strange looks all the time, but thats a different story..haha), but nothing coming close to any kind of confrontation about it. And if someone is "showing off" or drawing attention to themself, I doubt that another person is going to be brave enough to confront them about it, unless it's another gun owner. The other person is probably likely to just call the police.

Deanimator
April 10, 2009, 07:47 AM
Drawing attention for the sake of confrontation
I am fairly new to guns and carrying them. I have met and read stories about people who end up in negative social situations for open carrying. Allot of these people I feel purposely open carry in hopes that it will start confrontation so they can rant and rave about it being there right. While I know that it is legal in allot of places, I feel like some people open carry for no other reason than to dare people to say something. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to open. Carry, I am not the least bit bothered by it. I am just sharing my perspective as a new gun enthusiest
Give this a try and see if it works:

If you don't like open carry, don't DO it. I see no reason for ME to do it, so I DON'T.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Lewis130
April 10, 2009, 08:15 AM
Scaring antis with OC: one of life's guilty pleasures. :D

NavyLCDR
April 10, 2009, 10:23 AM
Having been in the "controntation" myself, what I don't understand is this. Why in the h e double hocky sticks do the cops waste so much time in trying to get me to change a perfectly legal behavior, which, by the way, according to state law is illegal and called coercion.

Instead of interrupting a good meal that I am enjoying to lecture me and hassle me for 1/2 hour why, instead, don't they go to the complainer and offer them a simple 30 second explanation to them that I am a perfectly law abiding citizen and not engaging in any activity that warrant's police involvement?

Why can't WalMart managers explain to the complainers that I am a perfectly law abiding and PAYING customer of theirs as well and they, as management, choose not to distract other PAYING customers by trying to get them to change a perfectly legal manner of dress, IE open carrying.

ezypikns
April 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
Criticize (or disagree with) open carry.

Duke of Doubt
April 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
I personally get a kick out of "offending" the gun grabbers legally by carrying rifles or pistols openly. I've even carried concealed and deliberately "printed" or otherwise "told," as my state and locality are comparatively rather sensible about this. I admit I wouldn't do this in such fashion if there weren't millions of Oprah-watching mouth-breathers who think it's somehow sinful to defend yourself, and pride themselves on saying so. There's nothing like having the cops called on you for rear-waistband carry and greeting the responding cop by name, shaking his hand and asking how his son is doing in college. Watching the anti fume at that indeed IS one of life's guilty little pleasures.

NavyLCDR
April 10, 2009, 10:39 AM

I disagree with the fact that we call having to pay for training and pay to get a license to carry a gun as somehow exercising a right to bear arms.

ezypikns
April 10, 2009, 10:50 AM
"There you go again......."

I personally get a kick out of "offending" the gun grabbers legally by carrying rifles or pistols openly.

What a GREAT reason to carry a firearm!

Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 10:55 AM
Want to test your new asbestos flame suit?

Which is exactly as it should be :D

Deltaboy
April 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
We are working for OC in Texas IMO too many people need to mind their own business. Some of the Left just are looking to cause problems by confronting you over it.

JAB
April 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
I take no offense to it, however I agree with the OP. My OPINION is that a large number of open carriers do it for the attention, look at me affect(not neccessarily confrontation). Little stroke of the ego, and thats not the walk of a man used to having a gun on his side, for some reason open carry results in fake lat syndrom for a lot of fellas!!hahaha. To each their own but to me open carry is a tactical dilsadvantage for any civillian or plain clothed if the situation were to change from trying to make a statement to, o **** ive got to use this thing but the bg has a gun to my head first cause I waved a flag saying I have a gun. Why give away your ace?????

ezypikns
April 10, 2009, 11:03 AM
Some of the Left just are looking to cause problems by confronting you over it.

I'm a COMMUNIST if I don't want to OC?

Corey
April 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
I open carried for many years when I lived in Arizona. This was before Arizone allowed concealed carry. (Before they became a shall issue state AZ completely prohibited CC) Most people never even noticed I was carrying a gun. I think I had something said to me about it less than once per year. Open carry is just not a big deal in some areas, which is as it should be.

ezypikns
April 10, 2009, 11:26 AM
Open carry is just not a big deal in some areas, which is as it should be.

I absolutely agree with that statement. I just don't like being labeled as anti gun or "Left" because I choose to carry concealed (which, by the way, is the only legal way to carry in my state). And since I don't have unlimited funds or access to unlimited free legal representation, reality dictates that I obey those laws.

TeamPrecisionIT
April 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
I choose to open carry at times just because it's more comfortable. Around this area it has sparked debates in the media (not because of me doing it personally). I don't do it for any other reason than it is much more comfortable than an IWB holster, especially in the hotter parts of the year. I do have my CHP and I do conceal most of the time, especially winter time or when I am going armed and the people around me don't need to know for whatever reason.

On that note, it is perfectly legal to do so in my state and I have not had any conversations or incidents because of it. You have to remember that the rest of your appearance also matters a lot when you are OC'ing. If you don't look right, it can spark debate, but I choose to present myself like an everyday professional man and it may help to not cause contraversy. YMMV.

Damian

Deanimator
April 10, 2009, 06:12 PM
I just don't like being labeled as anti gun or "Left" because I choose to carry concealed (which, by the way, is the only legal way to carry in my state). And since I don't have unlimited funds or access to unlimited free legal representation, reality dictates that I obey those laws.
That's funny, I don't open carry, freely say I don't see a reason to open carry, and NOBODY calls me anti-gun or left. Maybe it's because I don't waste my time telling other people not to open carry or criticizing their choice to do so or their motivations. Nah, can't be that. It's got to be something a lot more obscure...

desert gator
April 10, 2009, 06:55 PM
That's funny, I don't open carry, freely say I don't see a reason to open carry, and NOBODY calls me anti-gun or left. Maybe it's because I don't waste my time telling other people not to open carry or criticizing their choice to do so or their motivations. Nah, can't be that. It's got to be something a lot more obscure...
Wow your comment added nothing productive to this thread. I cant find in this thread where anyone has told someone not to open carry. Im just saying that some people come off like they are doing it for attention. Hey, look at me, I have a gun, I am cool. Those of you who tell me not to open carry if I dont like it Ill repeat myself again, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH OC. I do however find it annoying when people seem to go out of their way to have their gun noticed. I am not saying every oc person does that. My opinion is some do, and im entitled to that opinion

TRGRHPY
April 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
I believe in OC. However, I'm just curious...how are you judging whether someone is oc'ing for attention or not? Does it have to do with whether someone does notice, or just how the person is acting? The reason I ask is because someone may not be trying to flaunt it, so to speak, but be in an area where people are likely to get their feathers ruffled. We have all been in areas that are polar opposites....one place where everyone does it, and another place where guns are wholly condemned. So if a person is oc'ing in a place where guns are condemned, people will notice....so is that person flaunting it?

I'm not arguing, just asking a question for thought....

mljdeckard
April 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
I was working for a 'big box' electronics store a couple of years ago for extra Christmas money. A guy came in in 'outdoorsy' clothing, meaning, what I might expect to see a conservation officer wearing, and he had an auto pistol on his hip. He wasn't wearing any badge or official logos. I was at the front door with the (I cringe to even call them this) loss prevention guys, and they started to have a hissy.

"Dude, he has a gun!"

"So?"

"He can't just walk in here with a gun like that!"

"Why not?"

"We don't know if he has a concealed gun license or anything."

"Why would he need one? He isn't carrying concealed."

"But you can't just carry a gun around like that."

"Why not? In this state, you can carry a gun out in the open. If he was trying to do something bad in here, why wouldn't he conceal it?"

The man bought some odds and ends and left. But it sparked a flurry of requests to corporate HQ for guidance, which referred us to state law, which says there is no law against carrying openly for adults who are legally allowed to posess a firearm. It was an ongoing conversation for a week, as I was outed as a gun rights guy about whether or not it's wrong, ethical, or a good idea. I pointed out to them that many customers, including myself walked in and out of the store every day carrying and they didn't even know it.

If I see someone open carrying, (which is rare,) I do look, but it's mostly like I look at a cop to see what they are carrying. I OC when I'm doing outdoor activities in 'less populated' rec areas like camping pavillions and such. I don't OC to make statements. I suppose some people do, but as long as they follow the law, they aren't mine or anyone else's problem.

Hungry Seagull
April 10, 2009, 07:27 PM
The hissy herd at the door failed to recieve training prior to thier job at the door regarding weapons law in thier state.

No wonder they got all hissy and upset. Next time a gun toting customer arrives to do shopping I hope they are much calmer.

Am I too judgemental? Hope not.

Have you ever gone past a construction site? The workers with the battery operated saws hanging on thier tool belts? Does not merit much attention to me. What good is it for me to get all bent out of shape? No good.

Therefore when I see someone OC'ing it does not merit much attention UNLESS..... certain triggers like not fitting in, walking like bent duck, lame horse or whatever else that is not exactly appropriate or expected conduct.

My position is simple. OC or dont. Or carry concealed. It is not going to be my problem to laud attention upon you however you choose to do it.

Now, I wish the Antis would just leave it and learn that they too can exercise the same rights given to them (Unfortunately....) as everyone else. Surprise!!!! Instead of investing negative emotional and confontational behavior and energy, they just should calm down and mind thier own affairs... unless of course someone sweeps them with poor gun habits or breaks one of the rules of gun safety.

I carry. Sometimes not. Sometimes we both pack. Sometimes not. Leave it be and enjoy your day.

I really feel sorry for the panicky scardey cat anti calling the cops to check me out because they somehow think Im about to masscare the whole street. Bleah. More than likely I would be having a good converstation and comparing the hardware with the LEO if Im so lucky.

Rockwell1
April 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
I do however find it annoying when people seem to go out of their way to have their gun noticed.

Apart from the internet,have you ever personally wittnessed such behavior?

colorado_handgunner
April 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
OC seems to scare sheeple, which is really the only problem I see with it. Unfortunately, most sheeple will never join the rest of us. Thus the difficulty in OCing caused to us because of them! :banghead::cuss:

Mainsail
April 10, 2009, 11:12 PM
Allot of these people I feel purposely open carry in hopes that it will start confrontation so they can rant and rave about it being there right.

What about concealed carry? Do you ‘feel’ like they purposely conceal in hopes that a robber will think they are unarmed, allowing them to pull their piece and wryly say, “Do you feel lucky punk”? Makes about as much sense.
…in hopes of getting a rise out of people who are offended by it

Offended? I doubt that anyone, no matter how they feel about guns, would feel offended. Like most people that have never openly carried a firearm, you assume much. The people that do carry openly have a very different experience than your speculation. Do open carriers get a bit peeved when they are illegally harassed by police? Yes, of course. Would you be miffed if the police were harassing you for concealed carry?

model of 1905
April 10, 2009, 11:25 PM
This is a never ending repeat thread. Nothing positive ever becomes of them. It is legal to open carry in my state and I do open carry often. I try to be reasonable about it tho. If I'm going into my credit union, I leave it in the car, post office...the same. I still have my empty holster on and dont give it a second thought. I have never been asked about the empty holster. Only questions I have gotten about open carrying from other citizens when open carrying was what, not why I was carrying. I usually answer with "it's a 45" or "its a 357" and go on about my business.

Scaring the sheeple is a definite consideration but will not stop me from exercising a right.

I am not a criminal and I dont act like one.

Clifford
April 11, 2009, 12:06 AM
The only time I open carry is when Im hunting. Here In AZ it's legal but it's just not worth the Flack the cops and anti's will give you. I see people open carry from time to time and most are 21 year old kids who have just purchased there first handgun.

model of 1905
April 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
The only time I open carry is when Im hunting. Here In AZ it's legal but it's just not worth the Flack the cops and anti's will give you. I see people open carry from time to time and most are 21 year old kids who have just purchased there first handgun.

Let me ask you a question Clifford...
Suppose your right to Concealed Carry was no longer available to you. Would it then be worth the "flack"? If you dont exercise your right it can be taken from you as unnecessary. How would you react then? I am far from a 21 year old kid with his first handgun. I want my right to open carry, so do the faithful in Texas who are fighting for their right to open carry as are the good people of Florida. What say you to them?

altitude_19
April 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
Been down this road a few times. I've carried for years now, and OC on occasion.
Previous threads have yielded a few basic conclusions for me.
1.) If you're taking flack for OC, you're probably taking it from an anti (whether they admit they are one or not). They just happen to know it's there this time around so you become a target of opportunity. Moreover, when you take flack, you'll usually be accused of showing off (before you're even asked your true intentions). Some young guns are out to show off, but it's generally assumed all OC'ers are out to do the same. Sad but true.
2.) It's best IMO to conceal when you can to preserve tactical surprise and avoid idiot gun grabbers who think it's funny to poke Rambo. But I only exercise a reasonable effort to conceal and don't take EXTRAORDINARY measures to do so. If I don't have the right clothing to conceal it, I don't feel guilty for making quick convenience stops and the like.
3.) Treat this with a "live and let live" philosophy. If you OC, do so tactfully and don't answer until asked. If you don't OC, don't assume others must exercise the same restraint. Like being Muslim, liberal, republican, outspoken, immigrant, hippie, or minority: the fact that it makes someone uncomfortable deosn't warrant their impeding your right to go right on doing it. Nor does the fact we may not do it ourselves excuse us from our American duty to defend our fellow citizens' rights.
For further reference, see http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=354872. SIX pages of flaming and hot-blooded American debate! :D Deanimator, I think you remember this one.

Clifford
April 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
Modelof1905, I don't have any issue with OC. I just don't personally do it very often and as I said most people I see OC are 21 or close to it and it is usually there first hangun. I like to chat with them about firearms because I can see that they have some intrest in guns as well. I don't think they are looking for trouble. BTW Texas won't allow open carry? Wow who would of guessed.

Isher
April 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
True open carry is when your holster & belt are speckled with barn paint.

This when I was growing up in Wyoming, 1950's.

The bank in Meteetse was last robbed on horseback in 1955 or 1956,

I believe.

Get a grip, the world has changed bigtime.

isher

Mainsail
April 11, 2009, 08:37 PM
If you're taking flack for OC, you're probably taking it from an anti (whether they admit they are one or not).

I take significantly more flak here in this forum for OC in one thread than I ever do when I'm out and about town. What does that say?

It's best IMO to conceal when you can to preserve tactical surprise
There is no such thing as defensive surprise. It's little more than damage control.

Rockwell1
April 11, 2009, 08:43 PM
What does that say?

Not much difference between an anti and a Fudd?

Eric F
April 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
this thread has a lot of confrontation for something so simple as this.........if the OP was on the lines of this........Why do some people open cary just to start heated discussions?.........this thread would be entirely diffrent.

I know exactly what the op means. My brother will open carry and then on top of that go out of his way to make sure people know it, usually by running his mouth in a socially unacceptable mannor. Its poor forum and will lead to real problems sooner or later.

Ohm
April 11, 2009, 09:32 PM
I take significantly more flak here in this forum for OC in one thread than I ever do when I'm out and about town. What does that say?

That an armed society is a polite society.

4Freedom
April 11, 2009, 09:39 PM
A society were everyone open carries is like a society that has police all over the place all the time. Just imagine if every convenience and liquor store had a police officer or two in it. What would happen to the rate of robberies? Robbers tend to go to places where the fuzz isn't around. But if numerous numbers of people are wearing their guns on their side, robbers and other goblins are going to maybe consider a different type of profession or way of life. Does anyone else here think the presence of an armed person deter most crimes? I am sure there are always those gung ho criminal types or gangs who are armed to the teeth, but for the majority, of like 90% + of gun-involved crimes, I think they would think twice and find something else to do with their time.

Eric F
April 11, 2009, 09:46 PM
well for all of the comments about an armed society is a polite society can any one explain to me the murder rates of the 1870's through the early 1900's in all the mid west to far west town and cities? It didnt seem to work too well then, why would it now?

Disclaimer: I just thought I would toss that out there, not ment to start a flame fest!

wrs840
April 11, 2009, 09:52 PM
I would never OC just to get a reaction, but I OC a lot around my rural agricultural community for practical reasons: (1) because it's a rather large revolver, and (2) where I live, coyotes, bobcats, copperheads, etc. are part of life, and going unarmed is pretty irresponsible, IMO. Few give me a second look. There's a 30-30 levergun locked in the window rack of my pasture truck too... can't get much more "open" than that. And the 442 that goes in my city-duds is also in my pants pocket anyway, so I'm never simply OC: it's CC only or "both".

Les

WarHall
April 11, 2009, 09:59 PM
People who OC a cell phone in a holster - You never know what they are capable of!:uhoh:

Rockwell1
April 11, 2009, 10:27 PM
Can any one explain to me the murder rates of the 1870's through the early 1900's in all the mid west to far west town and cities?

Before we can explain it you need to cite a reliable source as to what the murder rate was then?

gripper
April 11, 2009, 10:44 PM
There are some unfortunate people out htere ,who grit thei rteeth at the exer4cise of ANTY right they disapprove of.
I have never OC'd(deliberately or "printed " accidentally).OTOH, I was once on the spot at a job where the client rep had a complaint about a discussion I was in that was overheard by someone who simply could not accept the perspective we had on the subject at hand.

Hawaiian
April 11, 2009, 11:12 PM
Open carry is legal here. I have never carried open. I do not want any BG to know that I am carrying until it is too late for him to do anything about it.

Superlite27
April 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
Whenever I read anything complaining about those of us who open carry, I put my .45 on my hip and make a special trip to Wal-Mart, the grocery store, and the gas station just to spite them.

BTW, after open carrying for the past year, I finally saw another guy open carrying yesterday.

It's about time. I was starting to think I was the only one in my area.

largecaliber
April 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
No matter if you open carry or carry concealed you are exercising your gun rights which is the main thing. Here in Wyoming open carry is something you will see quite a lot of and the citizens of Wyoming think nothing about it. In fact most of our police officers and even the police chief in our town respects and believes in an armed populace. I can understand how one may think that open carry is for someone who wants to show off or other, especially in a state where it isn't common but here in Wyoming no one even gives any thought to it, not even if you go to Wal-Mart. Another good thing about an open carry state is in the summer you can just wear blue jeans and a t-shirt while carrying.

largecaliber
April 12, 2009, 12:17 PM
Go to your computer or libarary and look up those stats. In reality during the old west period there were less murders per capita than there is today. So maybe it did work after all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Drawing attention for the sake of confrontation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!