Denver: Yet More Media Crappola from Ron Zappolo?

PDA

230RN
April 11, 2009, 04:53 AM
Channel 31 in Denver reported on a home invasion shooting this evening. We do not know the whole picture yet, that is, whether the shooting was legally justified under Colorado's so-called "make my day" laws. See the copyrighted report from Channel 31's news page here:

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-aurorahomeinvade-041009,0,5410685.story

But during his evening on-air report, Mr Ron Zapollo said that a man was "shot in cold blood," which to me, was clearly an inflammatory way of reporting the incident.

I objected as follows:

Channel 31,
fox31news@denvernewshd.com

I was shocked to hear Ron Zappolo use the phrase "shot in cold blood" while reporting the shooting of an intruder in Aurora this Friday morning.

Whether the circumstances justified the shooting or not can only be determined by prosecuting attorneys of Aurora. Mr. Zappolo (or the staff news writers) should have known better than to make the pre-judgement that the incident was indeed "in cold blood."

I would hope that in future, Channel 31's news staff would be less inflammatory and more "journalistic" in their reporting of situations such as this.

Thank you,

TAT

Terry, 230RN

If you enjoyed reading about "Denver: Yet More Media Crappola from Ron Zappolo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
April 11, 2009, 05:36 AM
The guy is a talking head, probably reading off of que cards done up by sensationalist writers. The fact of the matter is that the police (interviewed) don't even know what happened, so the "cold blood" statement was undoubtedly out of line.

This story could be easily spun. Less than one year ago, the guest was a "child". A "weapon-wielding intruder" broke into a house and immediately went past the homeowner, directly targeting a child in a seperate room, etc, etc.

I agree with you though. As a matter of fact, I've always thought the term "in cold blood" was an idiotic term save for the rare case of a deadly iguana attack, etc.

230RN
April 11, 2009, 05:54 AM
I mentioned the staff writers in my e-note to them. It was not an interview, but a regular news report.

He has (or had) a program called Colorado 2031 (the "31" for the channel number) which I felt, by his choice of guests, issues, and questions, was pretty left-leaning.

I am sure, since the degrees of leftism versus rightism are relative, that he would call himself middle of the road, but I call myself middle of the road also.

What prompted this thread was of course the ABC report slander piece tonight, but I've been seeing a lot of things lately which make my eyebrows go up. There've been a number of programs on the PBS channels puffing up socialized medicine and even ads on buses flavored the same way --although of course, these things are not gun-related.

Terry, 230RN

Brian Dale
April 11, 2009, 07:18 AM
I remember him from when I lived in Boulder back in the eighties. He wasn't very impressive back then, either.

Thanks for writing to them.

DFW1911
April 11, 2009, 03:29 PM
I lived in Denver for years, and one of the only things bigger than the mountains is / was Ron Zappolo's arrogance.

A friend of mine knew the guy and described him as "a real jerk"; what a great term we don't use often enough!

230RN
April 11, 2009, 06:53 PM
Well, over the past week or so I've been developing a lower and lower threshold for reaction to these kinds of things. I hate to say I now have a "hair trigger" on them, lest it be misinterpreted, so let's just call it a lower flash point.

The media, especially nowadays, is so full of anti-gun trash.

Makes me wonder if we ought to apply some "reasonable restrictions" to the First Amendment, too.

How about we limit First Amendment protections to only the printed news --like in the 1700s. How about that, eh?

After all, fair is fair, and the antis would love to see the Second Amendment protections extend only to muskets and the occasional wood-and-blued-steel fowling piece.

Ownable only by "Gentlemen," of course.

Gr.

Snarl.

Growf.

Terry, 230RN

cambeul41
April 11, 2009, 07:41 PM
How about we limit First Amendment protections to only the printed news --like in the 1700s.

Hand operated presses only and no high capacity magazines?

Lightninstrike
April 11, 2009, 07:48 PM
--although of course, these things are not gun-related.

True, but its all part and parcel of the same agenda. :scrutiny:

hadmanysons
April 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
What's happening to my STATE!?!? Where are these damned liberals coming from? Oh yeah, before I forget, screw you Ron Zappolo! I hope someone breaks into your house and you have to shoot him in self defense.... I mean "cold blood"

230RN
April 12, 2009, 04:15 AM
hadmanysons :

What's happening to your State is that it was targeted for a turnaround five, six, eight, ten years ago, since (A) they knew a lot of Californians were moving in, and (B) that the population was moving toward the cities... partly due to family farming giving way to corporate farming.

So they started pouring money into certain critical local elections, and, to me, the turning point came when a bunch of rich Boulderites, like Jared Polis, contributed gobs, and I mean gobs of money in a few selected elections. And Jared Polis was elected to Congress last November with a media blitz so strong nobody even knew who, or if anybody, was running against him.

As a result, long story short, the Legislature (and Governership) turned around completely, and brother, look out for your gun rights!

They started small, with one of those "who cares" issues, like not recognizing CCW permits from States where you did not reside... and the gun community let it pass. Who cares? But wouldn't you like to have a non-resident Utah permit sitting at home in case you lost your wallet?

And that's only the start. Once the ways are greased with these laws ostensibly for the "Health, Benefit, and Welfare of the People of Colorado," they'll go ahead with other things... like allowing you to carry only the firearm(s) you "qualified" with, then they'll move on to requiring liability insurance, caliber limitations, restriction on method(s) of carry, a formalization of "home rule" authority for cities....

Hey, don't think I'm letting any cats out of bags or offering suggestions to them. You can bet your bippy they've got this all planned out and strategized.

You think they held the Convention here because of the wonderful skiing in in Colorado in August? You think they had literally thousands of campaign and convention workers move in "temporarily" to Colorado just in time to establish residence for voting purposes here? And, (dare I say it?) to vote both here in Colorado and also by mail or absentee ballot in their home states?

That's what happened to your State.

It got Califormed.

And If I were a rich man, I'd bet that Wyoming is next to be targeted.

Or run for Congress.

Terry, 230RN

71Commander
April 12, 2009, 07:41 AM
Telling them that you were offended won't matter much. Think ratings. Next time tell them you're switching channels. Then do it. That'll grab their attention.

230RN
April 12, 2009, 04:22 PM
^ "Next time tell them you're switching channels. Then do it. That'll grab their attention."

Nah, they'd never know about a switch. I run a rabbit ear antenna for TV. I'm already predisposed to not listening to Zappolo. The only reason I heard that stinky remark about "in cold blood" was because I happened to leave Channel 31 on at the time.

Maybe he ought to go back to sports reporting.

Terry, 230RN

searcher451
April 12, 2009, 07:14 PM
The remote that comes with most every TV sold in America these days has a channel selection button. It also has a mute button and an on-off button. Any of the three will work. Getting excited about these guys is an exercise in futility, as well as a futile exercise. Pick and button and hit it.

DFW1911
April 13, 2009, 12:28 AM
What's happening to my STATE!?!? Where are these damned liberals coming from? Oh yeah, before I forget, screw you Ron Zappolo! I hope someone breaks into your house and you have to shoot him in self defense.... I mean "cold blood"

Come on now, this is The High Road...we must act accordingly :)

hadmanysons
April 13, 2009, 03:05 PM
How are my comments inconsistent?

Oh yeah, before I forget, screw you Ron Zappolo!
I don't think screw is a swear word

I hope someone breaks into your house and you have to shoot him in self defense.... I mean "cold blood"
I don't wish any harm to Zappolo. Quite the opposite. What i'm getting at here is that I think it would be good for him to be put in the shoes of the people he's talking about before he forms such a vivid opinion about the man.

rondog
April 13, 2009, 05:04 PM
Ron Zappolo? Meh. But Libby Weaver.....

CoRoMo
April 13, 2009, 05:12 PM
I avoid Fox31 at all cost. Ron & Lib[eral] have always slanted their "reporting". Not to mention Leland Vitert. That dude is a leftist deluxe.

SpecialKalltheway
April 13, 2009, 06:58 PM
I post on the forums at www.kdvr.com, go put your 2 (highroad of course) cents in there.

been away and missed about this though. will post there later though.

if I got more than one channel I would change it. I only get FOX on my rabbit ears though.

CoRoMo
April 13, 2009, 07:07 PM
Several years ago, IIRC, Deborah Takahara took a weekend course on a range with an FBI team and gave a favorable review of the shoot; which surprised the heck out of me.

The rest of the anchor desk looked at her like she was a decapitated dog when her report was over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Denver: Yet More Media Crappola from Ron Zappolo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!