Bob Dozier Knives for FMA

PDA

Anthony
April 13, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

Based on the selection of tactical knives shown at this link I was looking for opinions on which model(s) some of you might feel would be most appropriate to the Inosanto Kali styles of using the knife in combat.

http://www.dozierknives.com/

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thank you for your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bob Dozier Knives for FMA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
April 13, 2009, 02:29 AM
Anthony, some Filipino "knives" are quite large. If you had the funds, I would probably go for the large bowie...but that's catering to my inclinations, anyway. :D

Really, have you asked someone from the Inosanto camp? I remember years ago I was training in a Japanese martial art, and so bought a psuedo-Japanese "tactical" blade. With more experience, I readily see why most of the more advanced students' fighting blades were Kabars or bowies. If I'd just trusted the people I trusted enough to teach me the arts to also know what knives would be best, I wouldn't have bought that Cold Steal abomination! :)

John

Mike U.
April 13, 2009, 02:55 AM
Which Cold Steal did you get? Lemme guess...San Mai Magnum Tanto II?
I'd read on their site at one time MA's prefer the SRK.

I tell ya, this economy has hit me hard and I've had to sell most of my Carbon V CS's. Since they had their Carbon V knives made by Camillus and Camillus went belly-up, there won't be anymore Carbon V knives. Very sad because that is a very good blade steel.

JShirley
April 13, 2009, 03:17 AM
No, a decent-sized clip point would be pretty close to what most advanced students chose. I got a Recon Tanto. :rolleyes: Hey, live and learn.

In all fairness, the head of that dojo (Bud Malstrom) did use a CS Trailmaster for some years. I think he had upgraded to a Battle Mistress before I moved. He was at least talking about it.

hso
April 13, 2009, 09:26 AM
Anthony,

Are you talking about a knife that you can carry every day which may limit you to blade length or are you interested in something that is full sized fighting knife?

Inosanto Kali works with daggers and knives with sharpened swedges.

Anthony
April 14, 2009, 12:10 AM
JShirley,

Actually I already own a premium fighting Bowie knife complete with sharpened clip point on its 11-inch carbon steel blade and a very neutral point of balance. It was made to my specs by one of the "name" Bowie smiths and I love it, but it is not legal to carry here in Texas. We are limited to single edged blades with a maximum of 5 1/2 inches in length.

My folding blade choice is the Emerson Commander and I often practice with a blue handled training drone from the same company.

Now I am looking for single edged fixed blade fighters with a blade length of 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches.

Bob Dozier makes a superior quality knife for the money and is mostly known for his hunting blades. Yet he has a tactical/military line. His designs are varied enough that some thoughts has obviously gone into their design. They also do not look like fighting knives which can be an advantage depending on the police officer you're talking to. Knife laws in Texas (and elsewhere) are widely interpreted in different ways by law enforcement officers and having an edge never hurts.

While it sounds like your martial arts class had a fairly homogeneous variety of blades my experience is a bit more varied. Many of the students in my current class are instructors in Silat, PTK, Kali, etc. There are as many types of carry knives in the class as there are types of people. So far I have noticed a smallish (sub 2 1/2 inch) Spyderco, Emerson CQC-7, small Karambit, Boker Applegate-Fairbain fixed blade, custom 11-inch Bowie knife, and Emerson Commander.

Thoughts?

hso
April 14, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'm surprised that a blade less than 4 inches wouldn't limit the thrusting elements in the Inosanto Kali.

Of course full speed with force will get more penetration than most people would think.

A trailing point fixed blade should fit into the system well.

Any of the following of Bob's knives would fit into your parameters.

KM-3
KM-5
KM-6
KM-18
M-6
K-6
KS-4

JShirley
April 14, 2009, 12:27 PM
I am looking for single edged fixed blade fighters with a blade length of 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches

You might also try DLKnives. He posts here as Valkman, and makes great, tough knives at fair prices.

J

Mike U.
April 14, 2009, 12:54 PM
Now I am looking for single edged fixed blade fighters with a blade length of 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 inches.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=669

You might want to have a look at the "Makers" section of this forum. There is a "Fixed Blade Knives For Sale" section there.
A whole boatload of knife makers post their items for sale there. Many at very reasonable prices.

Eric Draven
April 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ummmm...I make a Custom Barong out of 1/4" thick D2 with G10 andle scales with customer color choice, the knife is 14" OAL with about 7.5" of blade....its called the 'HAVOC'. Email me if you have any questions: soloronin@connpoint.net

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/Draven%20Industries-Fixed%20Blades/M-Barong00.jpg
==
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/Draven%20Industries-Fixed%20Blades/Barong-w-handles1.jpg
==
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/Draven%20Industries-Fixed%20Blades/Barong-w-handles4.jpg
==
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/AirkatKnives/Draven%20Industries-Fixed%20Blades/M-Barong12.jpg
This is Prototype sheath....the new ones are alot more streamlined. I can make them to fit belt loops, IWB straps, etc. ...hell I can even do a neck cord if youre nutty enough to carry a big knife that way. :D

JShirley
April 14, 2009, 11:09 PM
I think he's going for a smaller blade to fill a niche in his desired arsenal, Eric. That barong is a heck of a knife, though. :)

Eric Draven
April 14, 2009, 11:14 PM
oohhhh. Whoops-a-daisy. My bad. Smaller is good....bigger is good. I didnt look a Doziers stuff, mostly cuz I dont like to have other guys ideas in my head. :)

Valkman
April 15, 2009, 12:02 AM
To Eric that's just a necker!

JShirley
April 15, 2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I sent him a real knife a while ago! :neener:
(I know~ kinda like ice to Inuit...)

Valkman
April 15, 2009, 12:07 AM
Ahh now I saw the 3 1/2" to 5 1/2" requirement - I make a 5" Fighter that is 10" long. I also make a Landshark with a 3 3/4" blade and a Bird & Trout with a 3 1/2" blade. Here's a 5" Fighter I just made with Spalted Maple:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/DLKnives/Spalted_Maple_Fighter2.jpg

Mike U.
April 15, 2009, 04:11 PM
Here is a rough-finished prototype I worked up about 6 years ago when I was making knives.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Mike_U_photos/Mvc-005f-2.jpg

It really doesn't belong in this thread with these GORGEOUS knives, but, I felt it would provide yet another idea for a workable SD knife.
I never pursued the pattern because it closely resembled a model made by Steve Ryan for CRK&T(Columbia River Knife & Tool). His is called the "Plan B", IIRC. I just called my rendition a banana knife.
I was going for a knife that would power thru slashes with it's forward canted blade. It would also allow for a more efficient slicing motion as the wrist is kept straight and locked when making the cut. The pointy back end was for non-edge strikes.

CRK&T may still make Steve Ryan's version if your interested in this style of SD knife. I'm not really sure if it's still being made because I've been kind of out of the knife world for awhile.

MashBill
April 15, 2009, 11:40 PM
Don,
Beautiful knife! I sent you a PM for more info. That knife was made to go with this pistol:

Valkman
April 16, 2009, 12:27 AM
Nice! That knife is sold but I could make another!

Anthony
April 20, 2009, 01:19 AM
My my my Valkman...that is one very tempting knife to say the least.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bob Dozier Knives for FMA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!