"Please explain your reason for requesting this permit (CCW)"

PDA

41magsnub
April 13, 2009, 09:19 PM
Missoula MT CCW permit application

I put:
1: Personal Protection
2: Ease of purchasing firearms

Should I put more or do you guys think that is fine?

If you enjoyed reading about ""Please explain your reason for requesting this permit (CCW)"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BillyBA
April 13, 2009, 09:24 PM
does a ccw permit actually make it easier to purchase firearms ???
if so , how ?

41magsnub
April 13, 2009, 09:27 PM
No NICS check as far as I know

Cannonball888
April 13, 2009, 09:29 PM
I would've figured Montana to be a "shall issue" state. And why is there a local application? The state should have preemption.

41magsnub
April 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
MT has less friendly gun laws than one might think. Miles ahead of NY or CA, but not perfect. The house recently did not pass a bill that would have eliminated the need for a CCW permit. This was tagged onto a castle law bill which is probably going to pass. They had to cut out the CCW part to get it past the Democrats who were whining about the verbiage. Oh well.. small victories work too!

mljdeckard
April 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
"Please explain why you think it is necessary to register to vote."

"Please explain in detail, for exactly which purpose you will use this printing press."

ants
April 13, 2009, 09:47 PM
No NICS check as far as I knowSome states have this agreement with the FBI, some states do not.

metallic
April 13, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hippie suppression. They might miss their granola shipment and riot! But in all seriousness, I think you have it covered. Is Montana shall issue?

41magsnub
April 13, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hippie suppression... that's funny right there!

MT is Shall Issue

Highland Ranger
April 13, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'd do "all lawful purposes"

metallic
April 13, 2009, 10:03 PM
MT is Shall Issue

Then does it really matter what you put?

Cannonball888
April 13, 2009, 10:36 PM
MT is Shall Issue

Then does it really matter what you put?
The point is that you shouldn't be asked at all. If you pass the background check then it shall be issued. You shouldn't have to supply a reason. But if you absolutely must, I would put "because it's my Constitutional right."

I'm glad I live in the Gunshine State.

ssbn731g
April 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
wow, all that my state was really worried about was the fee....and that was only 10 for 5 years (sd)

Hungry Seagull
April 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
All my state wants is just the fee, instructor's papers (No papers, no app) and class certificate etc.

If I run into that little question on the permit process I would have gone ballsitic.

Why go to worship God in Church?

Why use free speech the way we want to?

Why ask why?

/sarcastic

Eightball
April 13, 2009, 10:51 PM
How do the processors look at a "all lawful purposes" answer, or does anyone know?

Hungry Seagull
April 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hmm...

I want to carry a weapon to a walmart and not get caught to successfully finish the CCW course.

:banghead:

SHvar
April 13, 2009, 11:26 PM
In PA you are asked on the form which reason for applying, but you are given 2 options, for protection, or for hunting with a handgun. If you choose hunting you can only carry for hunting period, if you choose protection it covers anywhere its legal in the state.

geronimo509
April 13, 2009, 11:50 PM
SHvar that is correct. You also need 2 people to vouch(spelling) for your character. I dont mind this at all because if you do not know 2 law abiding people who will say you are a good guy, then you probably shouldn't have a CCW. lol

A-FIXER
April 14, 2009, 12:00 AM
The point is that you shouldn't be asked at all. If you pass the background check then it shall be issued. You shouldn't have to supply a reason. But if you absolutely must, I would put "because it's my Constitutional right."
A+ Agree

happygeek
April 14, 2009, 02:58 AM
Hmmm, sounds like WA is a lot better than some other states when it comes to CCPs. All I had to do was fill in some info, show ID, submit fingerprints, and I got my CCP in the mail about a week later. No mandatory class, no having to give a reason, none of that BS.

If you have to give a reason, you should put "it deters mugging". I haven't even carried yet (although I do carry mace and sometimes a knife) but I benefit from the deterrence factor of other people carrying :D

Prince Yamato
April 14, 2009, 03:50 AM
I'd do "all lawful purposes"

Which is the correct answer to "why?" on 99% of the gun forms that ask for it. I would like to know "why?" people even bother to ask what to fill in the box, when "All Lawful Purposes" is the best catch-all.

DoubleAction
April 14, 2009, 03:56 AM
Hmmm, sounds like WA is a lot better than some other states when it comes to CCPs. All I had to do was fill in some info, show ID, submit fingerprints, and I got my CCP in the mail about a week later. No mandatory class, no having to give a reason, none of that BS.

If you have to give a reason, you should put "it deters mugging". I haven't even carried yet (although I do carry mace and sometimes a knife) but I benefit from the deterrence factor of other people carrying

In Georgia, the only problem we have is the democrats. We have the laws, we just have co-operation from the followers of The NAACP, SCLC, The Black Moslem's, and our local county government.

TAB
April 14, 2009, 04:55 AM
I would not put down the second one. It just does not sound right. its like your trying to get around the system.

GojuBrian
April 14, 2009, 06:31 AM
1. I'm your worst conservative fears coming true.
2. In case I want to flip out and shoot stop signs at random.

Seriously, you have to answer that?

How about, "cause I can."??? :scrutiny:

MD_Willington
April 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
I too have my CPL, but one of the employees in the Sheriff's office showed her true colors;

"I don't think they should let anyone have one that does not know how to use a firearm"...

When I renew I'll take in my "shoot n see" target with the single ragg'd hole in it as proof of knowing how to use a pistol...

runrabbitrun
April 14, 2009, 04:32 PM
I would put "because it's my Constitutional right" too.

This may be OT but do any of you CC holders
think or wonder if this infromation is all being complied to be
put on some national 'who's got the guns' list in the future?

You know, kind of like the UK and AU did.
(I think they had people register they had guns first...
before they told everyone to give em up?)

Is this correct?

Cannonball888
April 14, 2009, 04:52 PM
^^^Anything is possible. There are already forms of registration like for NFA weapons, and CCPs are a record that you have a high probability of owning a gun. A NICs check is not a form of registration, but on the other hand, who's to say every time an FFL phones NICs that that the Feds don't secretly RECORD the fact YOU just bought a gun? How are we guaranteeing that this isn't happening? Perhaps someone can chime in and make me feel better.

Actually, I'm starting a new thread with this.

Hungry Seagull
April 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
I dont really care anymore if they know or not. They already know alot about me and my life such as it was.

Just try getting onto a Defense Supply Depot for a load with a 18 wheeler. You will just about have to submit a DNA sample along with a pound of flesh and three generations worth of history just to dock.

General Geoff
April 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
"All lawful purposes" is what I do

runrabbitrun
April 14, 2009, 05:21 PM
Do they really think someone is
going to answer....
I wanna go 'get' me sombody

I hate gov. type forms and the redundant BS on them. :fire:

Alchymist
April 14, 2009, 07:03 PM
"In PA you are asked on the form which reason for applying, but you are given 2 options, for protection, or for hunting with a handgun. If you choose hunting you can only carry for hunting period, if you choose protection it covers anywhere its legal in the state".

"SHvar that is correct. You also need 2 people to vouch(spelling) for your character. I dont mind this at all because if you do not know 2 law abiding people who will say you are a good guy, then you probably shouldn't have a CCW. lol".

Actually the application I have before me (Juniata County), lists 6 options:

Self defense
Target shooting
Employment
Gun collecting
Hunting and fishing
Other

As to references, the instructions state that one reference must be a county resident. Having just moved into the county about 9 months previously, I can see where this could be difficult for some people. Fortunately I have a good next door neighbor who let me use him as a reference.

LAK Supply
April 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
"Because it's a shall-issue state and you have to give it to me."

alelks
April 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
In NC a CCW license allows me to buy as many pistols I like without getting A gun permit.

AL

Midian
April 14, 2009, 07:31 PM
Out here in Ventura County, CA they ask for a "just cause", then ask to see your Prius Owner's Card then have you submit to a sensitivity training class in San Francisco before they deny your CCW.

akodo
April 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
put 'currently illegal to carry without'

Lurp
April 14, 2009, 11:35 PM
Do they really think someone is
going to answer....
I wanna go 'get' me sombody

I hate gov. type forms and the redundant BS on them.

Actually when I sold guns at Academy I had someone answer "Yes" to the "Are you a fugitive from justice?" question, so I wouldn't be to surprised :D

flrfh213
April 15, 2009, 12:13 AM
lol i would love to put" i want my CFL so i dont go to jail if i get caught carrying..." lmfao

Dex Sinister
April 15, 2009, 01:34 AM
Up in the northern part of California, which acts like a default shall-issue state once you get north of Sacramento, "Protection" generally works, but some Sheriffim allegedly think that "to exercise my constitution right" is too militant.

Dex }:>=-

Carl
April 15, 2009, 01:44 AM
Ability to legally carry concealed while hunting, since attempting to open carry with big bulky hunting clothes is impractical.

Buck Snort
April 15, 2009, 02:03 AM
"SHvar that is correct. You also need 2 people to vouch(spelling) for your character. I dont mind this at all because if you do not know 2 law abiding people who will say you are a good guy, then you probably shouldn't have a CCW. lol".

Unless you are a recluse or suffer from Schizoid Personality Disorder as I do. We have the right to self defense also. On top of that, I could get several street people to vouch for my "good character" for about $5 a pop!

SHvar
April 16, 2009, 02:36 AM
In Daulphin co. the form cannot be taken home to fill out, you must fill it out in the sheriffs office, and their are 2 options protection, and hunting/target shooting (which is only legal to use for hunting or target shooting, not for any other reason, and only in established hunting/target shooting areas and seasons). Protection covers you anywhere any time.
To fill in your references they supply phone books of the local area to find names and addresses. My references have only changed by one, in the last several years one of them died, may she RIP.
The worst part is that you have to return to pick the license up in person, they wont mail it to you. I hate driving in, and parking in Harrisburg, its stinks like liberal scum.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Please explain your reason for requesting this permit (CCW)"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!