colt D.A. 38

PDA

Bill H
April 14, 2009, 08:36 AM
My Dad told me that this gun was issued to my great uncle during the Spanish/American war. The butt has the following stamped on it --
U S Army Model 1901 -- No 168740. What can I shoot in it?

If you enjoyed reading about "colt D.A. 38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
April 14, 2009, 11:04 AM
That would have been a good trick. The war was in 1898, and the revolver was made in 1901? :scrutiny:

Actually it is a Colt model 1892 New Army/Navy. As the name indicates it was adopted by both military services in 1892, and went through a number of modifications, with the dates being stamped on the butt. Some of these were brand new production, where others were older revolvers made over to the latest specifications. Serial number 168,740 was made in 1901.

They were chambered in .38 Long Colt. Some shoot .38 Special cartridges in them, but this is not advisable. One exception is .38 Special mid-range wadcutters, loaded with a 148 grain full-waddcutter lead bullet with a muzzle velocity of 770 FPS. This closely matches the .38 Long Colt that was loaded with a 150 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 785 FPS. If you use .38 Special ammunition be very careful in what you buy! .38 Long Colt ammunition is still available, but on the expensive side.

At this point the revolver is over a century old (keep that in mind if you want to shoot it) and has some value as a collectable - if it is all original and in good condition.

Bill H
April 14, 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks --very helpful...:)

If you enjoyed reading about "colt D.A. 38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!