Dragnet fans...Joe Friday's S&W

PDA

Nathanael_Greene
April 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
I was watching a rerun of Dragnet, an episode in which Joe Friday is investigated for an off-duty shooting.

During the hearing he describes his gun as a Smith & Wesson .38, serial number 1755806.

Is that a legit S&W serial number? I'm not sure of the exact model number (though I'm sure a real Dragnet aficionado would know); the revolver is a snub-nosed .38, probably a Model 36, yes?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dragnet fans...Joe Friday's S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
Model 36 Chiefs Special, probably.

1,755,806 would be a made up number.
There isn't enough room on the bottom of the grip for a number that big.

The highest J-Frame pre-prefix number was 786,544 in 1969.
Then it started over again at J1 in 69-70.

rc

shooter58
April 14, 2009, 03:24 PM
Joe Friday carried a Smith & Wesson Model 10 2-inch.

rcmodel
April 14, 2009, 03:30 PM
Guess I was wrong then.
Anyway, I thought he carried a Colt Detective Special.

No wait!
Maybe that was Dick Tracy! :D

rc

SaxonPig
April 14, 2009, 03:46 PM
I recall it was a 2" Detective Special. If the characters called it a S&W then I am wrong... or the script doesn't mesh with the prop gun. That serial wouldn't work for any S&W model.

351 WINCHESTER
April 14, 2009, 04:43 PM
He carried a colt dick special in the original series. S & W didn't even make their snub when the series was running.

SwampWolf
April 14, 2009, 06:35 PM
S & W didn't even make their snub when the series was running.

Smith made 2" barreled Military&Police (K-frame) revolvers way before the Dragnet television series began. The Chiefs Special (J-frame) was introduced in the very early (1950?) fifties.

Kleanbore
April 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
In one episode in the early to mid 1950s, Joe was expecting a package. He refused to tell his partner Frank Smith what it was.

When it came he opened it and took out a revolver, and described it as a Colt Cobra. He mentioned the weight in ounces, the caliber, and possibly the fact that it had six shots. Sounded almost like a Colt commercial.

I can't remember the exact details but I definitely remember the episode and the mention of the Cobra and its specifications.

Obviously he carried something else before that episode.

Kleanbore
April 14, 2009, 07:05 PM
By the way, if the episode in question was the one about the shot that took some time to find in the laundromat, that was from a later series (different partner--Joe Gannon rather than Frank Smith), and if I recall correctly, Friday did carry a Smith.

One thing about it --whatever he carried was always either standard or permissible with the LAPD at the time.

SaxonPig
April 14, 2009, 07:31 PM
Well, there's this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Colt_Detective_Special

And this:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_36_/_38

I still recall thinking to myself when I saw that episode that it was a Colt.

Kleanbore
April 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
This refers to the show about the laundromat (the one the poster doesn't remember is the one about the Cobra in the first episode).

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3004661&postcount=13

Not to veer off too much, but does anyone know what Lt. Tragg carried on Perry Mason?

April 14, 2009, 10:39 PM
Need the facts, nothing but the facts.

Old Fuff
April 15, 2009, 12:02 AM
Well to muddy the waters, Jack Web (aka Joe Friday) visited the S&W factory and was presented with a model 39 pistol - which was a hot item at the time. He was delighted, but I don't believe he ever carried it in a show. He did pose with it for a picture in an early issue of Guns Magazine.

In early shows he did have the Cobra, but later switched to a Smith & Wesson. The Old Fuff is too young (or forgetful :uhoh:) to remember the model, but he believes it was either a Military & Police/model 10 or a model 36 - or maybe both, depending on whatever the property room had. Whatever, it was carried in a Clark sprigclip crossdraw holster. The Old Fuff still uses one on occasion.

saltydog452
April 15, 2009, 11:46 AM
'Dragnet' still gets some air time here in DFW.

Since VCRs seem to be going the way of 45 RPM records and 8 Tracks, does anyone know where a DVD of 'The DI', with Jack Webb as the DI can be found?

Thanks,

salty

'High Noon', 'Thunder Road', and a couple of others are worth keeping also.

sd

yeti
April 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
does anyone know where a DVD of 'The DI', with Jack Webb as the DI can be found?
http://www.dvdsclassic.com/di-jack-webb-dvd.html?gclid=CNGl7dm985kCFdlM5QodBSUDRg

$10

saltydog452
April 15, 2009, 07:18 PM
Got it. Thanks.

salty

If you enjoyed reading about "Dragnet fans...Joe Friday's S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!