Remington Golden Saber loads

PDA

I AM
April 14, 2009, 02:35 PM
Anyone have any loads that are NOT high pressure for these bullets? They are clad in brass with a very small contact band unlike regular copper clad bullets. I did have some loads worked up by Accurate Powders for 45 ACP years ago before they got bought out. Now, I'm expanding into 40S&W, 9MM and 380ACP. I have a supplier on these bullets so I need some load data. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why this bullet? Well, my neighbor an FBI CT/EOD Agent uses these factory rounds in his HRT 45s. They work really well and have to shoot very tight groups as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Golden Saber loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 14, 2009, 02:40 PM
I load them using Hornady XTP data of the same bullet weight.

In theory, the Golden Saber has less bore friction due to the sub-caliber bullet dia. in front of the driving band.

You won't get in trouble with Hornadys XTP data.

rc

Walkalong
April 14, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yep. Very little friction, which means if you want, you can push them a little faster. I have shot the .45ACP 230 Gr GS's with standard 230 Gr AA #5 data and it worked just fine. I have also shot the 124 Gr 9MM ones with AA #5 and WSF. They shoot quite well. No reason not to use standard data.

rg1
April 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
My results agree with the above posts. Pressure seems a little less with the Golden Saber compared to standard bullets. The factory overall length of rounds I measured were:
45ACP - 230GS- 1.235" Golden Saber (like other hollowpoints) vary a few
thousandths due to the irregular tip shape
40SW - 180GS- 1.122"
40SW - 165GS- 1.122"
9mm - 124GS- 1.120-1.125"
I've used Unique and AA#5 for 45ACP and Unique in 9mm 124GS's. For 230 GS's with Unique I'd start at 5.9 and work up to 6.5 grains. One review no longer available called "ballisticreview.com" said 6.7 grains of Unique was a factory velocity equivalent but I've settled on a load at 6.5 grains of Unique using RP cases and CCI or RP 2 1/2 primers seated to the above lengths. I've tested that load in Glocks and Colts. Do start lower and work up. Using AA#5 at the above overall length I'd start at 7.8 and work up to 8.3 grains of AA#5 with the 230 GS. I wouldn't go above 8.5 grains which didn't show pressure signs in Glocks or Colts. 8.3 grains of AA#5 and 6.5 grains of Unique showed nearly the same velocity tested in a Colt Gov't 5" 45acp and a Glock 21. Both loads in my test in 90 degree temperatures got 820-830fps.
For 9mm 124 GS's using Unique I'd start at 4.8 grains of Unique using CCI 500 primers seated to the above length, and work up to 5.2 grains. I've read other tests using up to 5.5 grains which is approaching +P or is +P. I've settled on a load of 5.1 grains of Unique which gets 1050 plus a few feet more in my Glock 19's and also it shoots to point of aim with the fixed sights on the 19 plus feeding has been 100% reliable.
I've included what I believe with my components and guns are maximum loads with Unique and AA#5 just to show what I'd consider MAXIMUM with the 230 and 124 Golden Sabers. Do start lower and work up.
The driving band on the GS bullets when seated to the above lengths will be inside the case mouth. Very lightly taper crimp to just take the bell out of the mouth. Factory rounds appear that the mouth is barely lightly touching the minor diameter of the bullet. I lightly taper crimp to just barely feel the mouth touching the small dia. and they feed fine with no headspace problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Golden Saber loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!