Shipping a knife to Belgium

PDA

Slinger
April 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
I sold a knife to a guy in Belgium. When I took it to the Post Office to mail it the clerk said it was a weapon and could not be shipped to Belgium. I have searched high and low but cannot find a real solid definition of weapon. I see internet knife stores that will ship to Europe, how do they get around no shipping weapons.

What I'm wondering is can I mail this knife without getting in trouble?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a knife to Belgium" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Valkman
April 14, 2009, 07:25 PM
I put it down as a "fishing tool" or something like that and send it. The clerks are idiots and will always say what they told you. I would not tell them it's a knife because they consider them weapons when they are not.

Slinger
April 14, 2009, 07:41 PM
Does customs inspect each package? If I were to put fishing tool down on the form and they open it and find a combat knife will I spend time in prison?

hso
April 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
When I took it to the Post Office to mail it the clerk said it was a weapon and could not be shipped to Belgium.

The individual lied to you.

You can ship knives as long as they are properly packaged to prevent injury during handling. I do it all the time. All over the world.

Put the knife in a box, put a cork over the tip or several layers of card board, wrap the blade and cork/tip in paper and then in blue masking tape, then wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap. Put a small block of wood in the end of the box that the tip points towards and seal the box.

When you go to the post office fill out all the forms and truthfully put cutlery on the form and tell them how it's packaged and that you packaged it to prevent any chance of injury. If you get any guff from the clerk ask for the post master at the post office.

BCCL
April 14, 2009, 09:02 PM
Does customs inspect each package? If I were to put fishing tool down on the form and they open it and find a combat knife will I spend time in prison?

No.

Odds are, if any customs agency opens it, it will be Belgium Customs, not USA. All they can do is seize or return it, they cannot do a thing to you.

On the rare occasions that I agree to ship knives overseas, I make the buyer give me an email that states the knife is legal in their country and accept the terms that if their country's customs seizes the knife and won't return it, it's their problem, not mine, and they will not get a refund.

relentlessknives.com
April 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
I've been shipping world wide for 12 years. Customs ....even in Red China/Hong Kong has never kept a knife.
The slowest place with the most customs inspectors is the UK.

It's camping gear, or a tool.

Also it's no more dangerous than a hair dryer in a tub of water., ......idiots who may misuse a knife are dangerous.

messerist
April 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
I've sent three knives to Belgium over the last seven years. Customers all received their knives without any problems. Just like hso said, package well, fill out the customs tag correctly and don't let a clerk just "tell" you what the law reads....show me!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping a knife to Belgium" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!