Cleaning off polishing compound

PDA

2ac
April 14, 2009, 10:01 PM
Hello gents, have a quick question for you. I'm new to reloading and need some advice. Iv'e been polishing my .223 brass with Lyman's turbo. Is there a way to remove the polishing compound other than whipping each case by hand? Maybe I should try a different media? Thanx in advance for any info.

Zac

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning off polishing compound" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jcwit
April 14, 2009, 10:23 PM
My suggestion is to use a corn cob fine media 20/40 grit, Will not clog primer pockets or flash holes. Available from Industrial supply outlets, ie Graingers. Cheap $25 for 40 lb bag.

Use one to one and a half cap fulls of Nu-Finish or other car polish to the c/c media. Most people use way to much polish.

Doing it this way after tumbling you're ready to go, nothing else needed.

ReloaderFred
April 14, 2009, 11:19 PM
I just tumble them in untreated corn cob for about half an hour after tumbling to polish. That removes the fine grit and prevents very fine scratching when sizing in carbide dies.

Hope this helps.

Fred

2ac
April 16, 2009, 12:50 AM
The car polish method seems to be pretty popular. With this method are the cases ready to go from the tumbler to the lube pad? I'm not trying to avoid inspecting my cases. I just don't want to wipe each case off by hand if I don't have to. Have a bunch of LC cases to process.

Zac

jcwit
April 16, 2009, 02:08 AM
With a small amount of car wax/polish they should be ready to go. Another advantage of the polish is it keeps the cases from tarnishing.

Most people use to much polish a capfull/teaspoon full per tumbler is plenty.

Hope this helps.

moooose102
April 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
you have to remove it? i have just been sizing / loading my brass right out of the tumbler.

jcwit
April 16, 2009, 11:33 AM
Plus 1 on that moooose102

2ac
April 17, 2009, 12:29 AM
I don't have carbide dies, so I need to lube my cases. If I'm useing the Lyman's, the compound has to be wiped off before it goes to the lube pad correct? But if i use one of the car polish/naked corn cob methods they can go straight to the re-sizer? Sorry for the petty questions, just want to get it right.

Thanx, Zac.

Martyk
April 17, 2009, 12:41 AM
I must be missing something. I am assuming you are cleaning your cases by using a Lyman tumbler, corn cob media, and adding polish to the media. If that is the case why is there polish on them when they come out. It gets absorbed into the media and the cases come out dry don't they? At least this is how it works for me. Then I lube and size. (that didn't sound good..:eek:)

DBR
April 17, 2009, 01:20 AM
Easiest and cheapest way is use untreated walnut (from the pet store) before you deprime. Cases will be clean and slightly mat finish and will not contaminate your reloading dies with abrasive, greasy polish.

Unless you are trying to compete in a "shiny case competition" adding polish to cleaning media is counter productive re your equipment.

2ac
April 17, 2009, 04:43 PM
The Lyman is pre treated. The greenish stuff. The cases come out with a film on them. Does this need to be wiped off before lubeing? That is what I'm wondering.

I do like the sound of a matte finish though. Don't really care about shiny, just clean.

2ac
April 17, 2009, 04:58 PM
Oops. Double post.

Larry Burchfield
April 17, 2009, 05:48 PM
Nu-finish and untreated corn cob. Save the Lyman stuff with the jeweler's rouge for the really dirty cases.
Larry Burchfield
SeaBees/RVN/67/68/69
DAV

ReloaderFred
April 17, 2009, 07:33 PM
2ac,

You're using the Lyman Turbo polish that contains iron oxide. It's a great cleaner for really tarnished brass, which is what I save it for. Just tumble for about half an hour in untreated corn cob and it will take all the residue off.

Hope this helps.

Fred

2ac
April 18, 2009, 12:24 AM
Okay Guys, thanx for all the info. I'm going to pick up some untreated cobb. I allready have some Nu Finish. Also going to try some walnut shells for the matte look. Thanks again.

Zac

RustyFN
April 18, 2009, 01:14 PM
But if i use one of the car polish/naked corn cob methods they can go straight to the re-sizer? Sorry for the petty questions, just want to get it right.

Thanx, Zac.
Yes but you will still need to lube them first. This is how I tumble rifle and pistol brass. I like to use crushed walnut from the pet store because it works faster than the cob. I add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish car polish to every batch. I tear a paper towel into 8 pieces and also add that. In 1.5 to 2 hours the brass comes out looking like new. I like them that way and it also makes them easier to find in the gravel at the range I shoot at. Like others said the polish will help keep the brass from tarnishing and the paper towel will help keep the media clean.
Rusty

Fixxah
April 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
A buddy just gave me a 50lb bag of corn sandblasting media. Same size as sold at Cabela's etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning off polishing compound" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!