Shotput as a home defence tool or weapon

PDA

streetlover
April 15, 2009, 04:10 AM
What do you think about it.

Obviously it wont be good in some situations but. If you are barricaded in your bedroom or you are in a hiding spot in the dark. You can hit the attacker with it in some circumstances.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotput as a home defence tool or weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAB
April 15, 2009, 04:27 AM
I'd rather have a bat, but I would not want to be hit with one.

stickwhistler
April 15, 2009, 04:37 AM
How would you use it?
Drop it on his toe,
and while he is hopping about hit him with something else? :D

streetlover
April 15, 2009, 04:49 AM
I was thinking if someone is creeping around your property or house you position yourself and hit him in the back, head or chest. It depends on the situation.

Also if he is in your window you can smash straight through the window with it.

TAB
April 15, 2009, 04:51 AM
as a distraction that might work, but as a striking weapon, it could very easily be deadly.

streetlover
April 15, 2009, 05:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3tAhp8aNMY#t=2m33s

If you have this sort of security in your building you might be able to lob the shot put through your bars or peep hole or whatever

Mp7
April 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
if the full size halberd is not anywhere in reach ....
... a shotput might be an alternative.

???

(Nailclub? Baseballbat? Machete?)

hso
April 15, 2009, 08:53 AM
What do you think about it.

It is a very bad idea unless that's all you had at hand at the moment.

As a plan, it isn't a good one.

You're much better off with something that you could throw with accuracy and speed that also had some mass. Shotputs are just too heavy.

C'mon guys, try to be civil to the new guy. He may not have much experience, but he deserves an honest respectful answer (until he proves he doesn't).

Macmac
April 15, 2009, 09:42 AM
I think it is insane and you would be tried for a medical insanity trial.

Some of you guys should consider what the jury is going to think of these sometimes off the beaten path devices you dream up..

If you really pull these stunts the jury is going to deem you wacko, and lock you up.... probably for your own welfare....

Maybe if you have a badmitten set, a basket ball a soccor ball and a base ball, bat and glove you can get away with being into sports and beat the bejueezus out of a burglar and get away with it, but if all you got is a fast car and a tool box use a hammer instead of a bat..

I guess if you have a shot put you might have a bambo high jump the bars stick and I would use that over a shot put unless you got a cannon to fire that shot put....

Why not just drop a Grande Piano on the crook?

Oh I know, how about a .357, the cops use .357's..

crebralfix
April 15, 2009, 09:45 AM
This is a silly question.

Are you really going to go around your house in the position to throw it? Do you expect the bad guy to just stand there while you lob it and it bounces off the ceiling?

Use your brain.

Kingcreek
April 15, 2009, 10:01 AM
a shotput would be a great addition to your "Home Alone" bag of tricks. make sure you also have plenty of rope, duct tape, catapults, boards, hot irons, etc. etc. etc. on hand just in case.
good luck.

theotherwaldo
April 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
I still prefer a good arsenal of 16-pound bowling balls. Especially if stairs are involved.

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe if you built an air cannon to launch it.;)

mothernatureson
April 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
Only after you have exhausted your supply of ping pong balls.

CWL
April 15, 2009, 01:38 PM
Here's a serious answer to your question: I think that trying to hurl metal shot at a BG is a dumb idea.

To launch one, you need to lift & cock the shot into the nape of your jaw, then must spin your body to build up the momentum to launch.

Why this is dumb:
1. Time involved
2. space needed to perform this
3. you are taking your eyes off-of the BG while spinning
4. BG has plenty of time to step aside or hit, stab or shoot you
5. What is your back-up plan if you miss or if there are more than 1 BGs?

It is as useful as the Tabor toss in man to man encounters.

streetlover
April 15, 2009, 02:05 PM
Shotputs vary in size.

In the olympics they probably used 13 pound shots.

But you can get smaller 3 pound girl size shotputs for practice, kids or juniors.

RoostRider
April 15, 2009, 02:09 PM

I can't stop laughing......

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 02:30 PM
I just found this picture of my great uncle. Uncle Vigor Thumpersson in the photo you can clearly see that he is in fact getting ready to thump a villain. The man in the straw derby is obviously a crook and is about to get shot putted. There is no doubt in my mind look at those beady eyes.. Well look!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/GTAllyn/ralphrose.jpg

Funderb
April 15, 2009, 02:37 PM

"hold on a minute while I wind up..."

How about a 230 gr shot put from a little right angly thingy?

streetlover
April 15, 2009, 04:00 PM
Typically there are 3 rounds of preliminaries to determine seats for the final. The competitor with the farthest legal put is declared the winner. In men's competition, the shot weighs 7.26 kilograms (16 pounds). The women's shot weighs 4 kg (8.8 pounds). American high schools usually use 12 pound (5.44 kg) shots for boys and 4 kg shots for girls; these are sometimes used as practice shots as well. The weight of the ball differs depending on the age group. Men over the age of 50 or under 19 use a 6 kg shot (13.2 pounds) in international competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_put

Ive seen 3 pound shotputs for sale.

JImbothefiveth
April 15, 2009, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't, though I'm not a shotputter. Why would you use a shotput anyway?

rcmodel
April 15, 2009, 04:51 PM
What if the BG just got out of prison, where he ate a well balanced high protean diet, and pumped iron 24/7 for the last 5 years?

What if he just sneers at your shotput lob?
What if he catches it, and throws it back at you like an over-hand baseball pitch,
so fast you can't see it coming? :what:

rc

Pack
April 15, 2009, 05:03 PM
H&Hhunter: That made my day!

As to the OP, back when I was younger and my arms were really "built", for some reason I decided while in gym class to forego the proper technique and throw the shot like a baseball (It was 8lb, not 13).

That would seriously hurt someone if it struck them. Not only do I believe that, but it's what my irate coach screamed in my face for a full five minutes soon afterward.

It's awkward to throw it very accurately in that manner, and I feel that enough practice to do it vigorously and accurately could do serious long-term damage to one's elbow. I did it in my prime shape - very large and strong - and after having done it a couple dozen times, my joints were in an uproar.

zxcvbob
April 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
I think a baseball would be a better choice -- if you can throw (I can't)

Hawk
April 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
Since I would personally be starting off with an equally profound incompetence in both shot and discus, I'd go with discus making a better weapon.

But if we're going to be debating the relative merits of ancient Olympic weapons, the javelin would probably be superior to both.

But, if one competed in shot put all the way through school and already had a considerable talent in the event - why not? Makes more sense than some movies I've seen.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800073821/info

sm
April 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
I was on the track team, in junior and senior high school and on some "outlaw track teams".
I also played volleyball, and table tennis, and ...serious here...pinball.

What event(s) did you participate in for the track team?

Cross country, mile, the leg man on long relay, and when I got roped into it, the 880.

Hey, tossing a shotput, discus, did not look fun...especially since I was tall and lanky.
I saw what the high jump and pole vault did to folks, that "bar" don't fall that easy, and being a guy, I do not want some parts ...hit.

Them hurdles, will reach up and trip you up.
Long Jump...yeah, right, I tried that...

I was not a "sprint" runner, instead a "route" runner.

Distance is your friend...
Besides, I liked this cross country, and running in the woods...
Did I mention we had other schools come run at our track?
Or how I had this knack to practice when girls teams were having practice.

I was never late for practice, but I have been known to be really early...
Coach just figured out, I had gone on to practice on my own...

Folks think I kid about "Use Enough Tennis Shoe", but I do speak from experience.

Coach did say, if they ever made sling shots a track event, I was going to do that event , for sure.

I got better things to do that stay in the same spot and toss a heavy round ball...
Gimme woods, and some freedom to run...

You want an effective home defense weapon, "sport related", just leave a bowling bag with the bowling ball in it near door, or entry to hallway.

There is a strange phenomena about bowling bags. You can be looking at one, and tell yourself to step over, or around, still that bag will still trip you.

Oh, just me, still if they ever make throwing ball peen, tack or framing hammers a track event, the girls are going to own that event...

*whups*

3v1lj03
April 16, 2009, 08:40 AM
Build a black powder cannon to launch the shot put. See now that is a good home defense weapon. LOL

hso
April 16, 2009, 09:43 AM
Probably enough wit and wisdom on this thread so we'll end it before it get's too lopsided on the wit end of things.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotput as a home defence tool or weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!