What caliber for Jurassic park?

PDA

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ok Jurasic park has reopened as a hunting preserve. What is your choice for a rifle and caliber?

PS

All hunting is on foot.

If you enjoyed reading about "What caliber for Jurassic park?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
April 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
275 Rigby, of course, toted by you.

What - you're not going as my PH?

:)

Dark Skies
April 15, 2009, 11:22 AM
I would use Ex-Prime Minister Tony Blair as bait and calibre is irrelevant as I would then retire to a safe distance and enjoy. Tony taught us that legally held firearms were a bad thing.

chas08
April 15, 2009, 11:39 AM
Anything in .50 BMG. Preferably a semi-auto or auto. Or....an A10 Warthog.

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 11:50 AM
But isn't this precisely what the .577 T-Rex was designed for?:D

For those of you haven't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVqT3XEzss

Maplicito
April 15, 2009, 12:12 PM
505 Gibbs. No particular reason other than I have really wanted one for awhile, and am determined to eventually get one (and hope I'm not less recoil resistant than I'm counting on).

However, I suppose this one: http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl29-e.htm might be an attractive option depending on which dinosaurs are present.

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 01:42 PM
Does anybody know where the vitals on a T-Rex or a Velociraptor are?

How about the brain?

That there might be some handy information to know before your dino hunt.

Maplicito
April 15, 2009, 02:09 PM
The brain might be tough to get on one of those beasties considering how small their brains were supposed to be. That said, my knowledge of their anatomy is limited enough I might be best off going for a CNS shot - so, with my lack of experience, and my slight hand tremor - I might be in serious trouble :(

LoneCoon
April 15, 2009, 02:18 PM
Dinosaurs allegedly had walnut sized brains. They also had fairly primitive organ systems (supposedly) and their organs were not the sophisticated multi-function organs that today's animals have.

I'm guessing their vitals were a lot less vital then current animals, but probably react similarly to bullets.

sonier
April 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
577 t-rex will do the job, though you wont know if you hit the target. either t-rex is dead or you are, you dont know though because the recoil knocked you down.

actualllllllllllly..................55 boys it shoots 15000 foot punds

gun addict
April 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
i'll use a singleshot .22LR cause i'm awesome like that

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 03:12 PM
The T-rex is one thing but what about the smaller faster DG dinos like the Velociraptor or even the terradactyl. I'm thinking some kind of shotgun our even a lever gun would be a better choice. Heck maybe even a heavy auto gun like an M1-Garand in .458 win.

Check this out for a dino duster....

http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/458garand/458garand.html

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
Dinosaurs allegedly had walnut sized brains. They also had fairly primitive organ systems (supposedly) and their organs were not the sophisticated multi-function organs that today's animals have.

I'm guessing their vitals were a lot less vital then current animals, but probably react similarly to bullets.

I've heard a heart shot crocodile can live for hours. I wonder if a dino would be the same.

indoorsoccerfrea
April 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
geez, i would want a tank...actually, me and several other people with tanks...in an open field....on the top of a hill...surrounded by a moat 70 feet deep. then i would do it...haha

Geneseo1911
April 15, 2009, 04:06 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Machine_gun_M2_1.jpg

TexasRifleman
April 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
Lahti. 20mm HEI please. Might ruin a little meat but.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/L39.jpg

And you can drag it along behind you since this is on foot :)

Afy
April 15, 2009, 04:20 PM
I'd go with at least a 155mm Bofors... preferably a SS-20.

Dan Crocker
April 15, 2009, 04:24 PM
RPG-7.

Deer Hunter
April 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
Guys, shot placement is crucial.

.223 for me.

:)

LoneCoon
April 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
Another way to think of this is what did whalers use on Whales in order to bring them down? Mostly harpoons, right?

Although I'd want to watch someone else try to harpoon a dinosaur first before giving it a go.

indoorsoccerfrea
April 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
shot placement? you heard the people! tiny organs under meters of meat...tough to get to with anything...i would pick a bunker-buster in some carry-able platform...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5Q4i3mvXI

lonecoon, now there's an idea...shoot it with a harpoon and then hook it to several giant prehistoric trees...

danweasel
April 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
Put that 20mm in an akio and drag it around on a really rainy day. Hopefully there will be a lot of leaves on the ground for viscosity. Might take 4 people or so.

Don't forget that if you shoot at a T-Rex and miss it's ok. Just hold still and they can't see you! Haven't you seen the movie?

rondog
April 15, 2009, 04:52 PM
Nothing but an M82A1 for me, thank you.

JImbothefiveth
April 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
RPG-7. Mossy Oak/Realtree need to make a new camo for it.

shaggy430
April 15, 2009, 06:23 PM
A freakin' 12 gauge, what the heck do you think? -Napoleon Dynamite

Devilfrog
April 15, 2009, 06:36 PM
I would have to say a Barrett 98 Bravo in .338 with a modified M203 grenade launcher mounted.

Pack
April 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
If their vitals are hard to get at, maybe an effective solution (not for cleanly taking them as game, mind you - just to try and get you out alive) would be a large volume of reasonably powerful, reasonably accurate fire directed quickly and repeatedly at the head, neck, and face.

I'll nominate the MG-42, fired from its bipod, or braced on the back of my assistant gunner.

Even if you couldn't kill the darn things, you could turn their faces to mush pretty fast.

If you can drag around a mini gun and an ammo backpack, a la Jesse Ventura's character from Predator, more power to you.

Just remember, when facing the Dinos: "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

matrem
April 15, 2009, 06:50 PM
Nothing short of Captain Kirk's phaser..Unless,of course,Scotty was ready to beam me up!

panzer426
April 15, 2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/atk-lw25-bushmaster.gif
and/or
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_25mm_mk38_pic.jpg

61chalk
April 15, 2009, 07:17 PM
I have often thought on this actually...we all know of their small brains, an T-Rex is probably a lot like crocidiles, reptiles, not mammals. So we need something that will tear them up real bad...I like the .50 Browning or the 20mm, as long as theres more than one of us helping to drag it around. I would think a 40mm grenade launcher like the one on "Predator" would be cool, but a real stopper also would be a really good Flame Thrower..that will get T-Rex thinking an you can throw a Raptor on the barby,...well done.

MikePGS
April 15, 2009, 07:23 PM
Bird shot.

Dark Skies
April 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
Something like this might do the job.

http://rat-hunter.com/stories/2006/grenade-launcher/grenade-launcher.jpg

NCsmitty
April 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'd feel pretty confident with this.

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl24-e.htm

NCsmitty

spiroxlii
April 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
I refer you to this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=338672&highlight=dinosaur), wherein I and others have already discussed the topic.

In part:

Somewhat discredited; those big nerve bundles in the pelvises of thyreophorans were not illusory; according to what I've read ostriches have them too. Maybe dinosaurs could run around for a few seconds like chickens if you removed their heads?

It wouldn't surprise me if ostriches have them. If you're taking apart a chicken or a duck or a turkey (look next time you make a turducken), you will find fairly large ganglia shielded by the pelvis. They look like two little brains, one on each side of the pelvis.

If a dinosaur's nervous system were distributed in the same way that a modern bird's nervous system is, then taking out the head/brain may not put the animal down right away. It could move its limbs like a chicken with its head cut off, but it's not like the dinosaur could think or intentionally attack you with its actual brain destroyed. You could get hurt by the flailing if you were too close, though.

If you've ever watched a chicken with its head cut off run, you know that it does a decent, but not excellent job of keeping its balance. Once it falls over, it may keep flailing, but it doesn't right itself and get back up. I would imagine that if a big dinosaur were able to function after its brain were destroyed, it would have even more trouble staying balanced, since it's more massive and has a higher center of gravity than a chicken.

Of course, once Jurassic Park opens up a game reserve to hunters, there's always the possibility that those dinosaurs will somehow escape the reserve and make their way into a populated area. I addressed that as well.

I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America’s largest indoor retail shopping areas. If a dinosaur ever entered my workplace and started helping itself to human snacks in the food court, I would have to swoop in to save the outgunned SWAT pansies. Roaming packs of Tyrannosaurs are almost as bad as the new Neo-Nazi branch of MS13 that has been using sawed off .50BMG sniper rifles to try and kill me in the parking lot.

I would tactically crabwalk (because that puts your center of gravity closer to the ground, making you harder to knock over) while slicing the pie into the food court. A few flashbangs would daze the dino while my squadmates on all terrain armored golf carts attacked from multiple avenues of approach using TOW missiles and Soviet surplus Atoll missiles, which are way superior to the AIM-9 Sidewinder. I know, because my team used to use Sidewinders, but they kept malfunctioning. We'd get good tone, but when we tried to launch, the missiles would just fall off their pylons or fail to track their targets. The Atolls never fail us. My team practices by firing at least 500 missiles per team member per night at a local indoor range.

Diamondback6
April 15, 2009, 08:17 PM
Any of you ever had a rex skull at your own eye-level? I have, and studied it*, so I can speak from some experience...
*The owner of a local rock-shop helped dig out the Fort Peck rex, so she was able to arrange for some casts to be available to her for sale. She also got a laugh out of the fact that having that skull in and letting me examine it gave me ammo for threads just like this one...:D

First, the brain is roughly the same total volume as ours, and the cerebrum would be approximately the same as a human occipital/parietal/temporal lobe combo, or about 2/3 of our "thinking part".

Second, the braincase itself is a massive, solidly built structure, as it's also the "keystone" the entire skull is built around. The rest of the skull? Well, when you consider that it was designed to deliver bone-crushing bites with a likely impact force of several tons... there are a few openings, but the bone is very thick--most of the "struts" in the one I examined looked about as big around as my wrist. You're not gonna get through it to the brain with even most big/dangerous-game rifles.

So... start with something rated for "bull elephant" at minimum, and even then I think you're erring on the low-side. As for me, I'll take a 30mm M230 Chain Gun... and its attached AH-64 Apache.

Funderb
April 15, 2009, 08:24 PM
Since NO ONE seems to have said it yet, or I missed it by inches....

Mosin Nagant.

:neener:

Gaiudo
April 15, 2009, 08:27 PM
Oh come on, guys. Is it possible that you are all that dense? T-Rex has to bad taken on with high velocity, low mass stuff. If you aren't using a 5.7x28, you don't have a chance.

Dark Skies
April 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
Good luck with those small rounds. Don't let the pitter-patter of my rapidly fleeing feet distract you from taking that shot. :)

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 08:38 PM
Oh come on, guys. Is it possible that you are all that dense? T-Rex has to bad taken on with high velocity, low mass stuff. If you aren't using a 5.7x28, you don't have a chance.
Today 11:24 PM

Gaiudo,

You should know better than that..:rolleyes:Everyone knows that slower penetrates better. Randy Garret has proven it time and time again. A 500gr lead hard cast bullet @ under 1600FPS is going to be your best bet. I figured you'd have known.. Sometimes I just don't know what's wrong with you.:cool:

Big Daddy Grim
April 15, 2009, 08:47 PM
my 500 Nitro double or my 660.

MNinfidel
April 15, 2009, 10:07 PM
M1A1 Abrams.

H&Hhunter
April 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
my 500 Nitro double or my 660.

BDG,

What is a 660?

theboondocksaints22
April 15, 2009, 10:29 PM
a G.E minigun and some liberals as bait

spiroxlii
April 15, 2009, 11:28 PM
I say we throw this thread out to the handgun crowd and start a 9mm vs 45ACP fight! Those are always fun to watch. Oh, and the .40SW fellas will jump in and claim to have the perfect compromise, of course. ;)

lgbloader
April 15, 2009, 11:39 PM
357 mag revolver, iron sights, off hand.

LGB

2RCO
April 15, 2009, 11:43 PM
A Glock 7 of course. Might as well use an imaginary gun since this is an imaginary scenario.

P.S. -I thought you couldn't discuss theoretical situations. Doesn't Dino hunting line up with zombie scenarios.

spiroxlii
April 15, 2009, 11:50 PM
The effort is well underway to clone a mammoth from frozen tissue samples. :) Hunting extinct animals one day is farfetched, but perhaps not AS farfetched as zombie hunting.

Dark Skies
April 16, 2009, 08:47 AM
"Hunting extinct animals one day is farfetched, but perhaps not AS farfetched as zombie hunting."

spiroxlii, you've obviously never met the average UK Labour voter.

chas08
April 16, 2009, 10:42 AM
a G.E minigun and some liberals as bait

Then we shoot 'em on full stomachs.

Myles
April 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
I'd think that for most of the smaller stuff (velociraptor and smaller), .243 or .270 would be fine. .308 semi-auto might be a nice bit of insurance.

For an all-around rifle, I'd stick to .375 H&H, open sights.

Thomas Garrett
April 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
.50 BMG, Fred Flintstone and friends used spears back in to day. Today's special- Dino-burgers!:D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
What TexasRifleman said!

Vern Humphrey
April 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
Humans didn't exist in the Jurassic era. The nervous systems of dinosaurs were quite primative, so that a CNS kill was almost impossble. And many of the big carniverous dinosaurs were much bigger than an african elephant.

Me, I go with an RPG-7, and I want two similarly-armed men backing me up.

Realbigo
April 16, 2009, 01:44 PM
Here's my Vote. Barrett's XM109
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/WillOyster/Guns/xm109_bors.jpg

Hungry Seagull
April 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
Im going to have to change barrels on the Magnum to rifled and break out the Brenneke Gold Magnums.

We are chicken wing snacks to these dinos and they are just going to have to come to me. Maybe I drop a small one and while the big dumb dumb is feasting on little dead dumbdumb I clear out yes?

But seriously? Im thinking crew served weapons at this point and need to be in terrain with steep, New River Gorge, Emigrant, Alamagordo, Spotted Wolf near Yuma comes to mind.

Mike U.
April 16, 2009, 08:15 PM
^^^What he said!^^^

No. Really...

TexasRifleman
April 16, 2009, 08:37 PM
What TexasRifleman said!

After 6 years on THR someone agreed with me!

And in the most important thread of the year to boot!

Drinks are on me :)

greyling22
April 16, 2009, 08:56 PM
they used some sort of rocket launcher in the book. I would have enjoyed seeing that moved to the big screen.

Javelin
April 16, 2009, 09:13 PM
This is a tough call. Velociraptors are mean mamojamus and only 8' tall. Many others that would like to make a snack out of you are probably that size or smaller.

I'm going to have to say a good 12 gauge since maneuverability is a big plus in this type of circumstance.

jim147
April 17, 2009, 01:10 AM
I think the whiskey is getting to me tonight.
I'm thinking 20mm in a drag for the big ones. Take them out by shattering the hip joints the brain and vitals are to small and protected.
I think an M14 for the carry gun for the little ones that might say hi.
And maybe a .45 subgun just in case.

The PH has the granade launcher right?

moooose102
April 17, 2009, 06:36 AM
um, something like a 50 BMG! (50% expanding, 50% fmj) preferably in full auto! who knows how tough one would be? they might fall to a 243, but just on their size, i would want real stopping power! :D:neener::evil::what:

David4516
April 17, 2009, 03:58 PM
According to Wikipedia, Velociraptors aren't that big:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor

"Velociraptor is well-known from its role as a vicious and cunning killer in the 1990 novel Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and its 1993 film adaptation, directed by Steven Spielberg. The "raptors" portrayed in Jurassic Park were modeled after a larger relative, Deinonychus, which Gregory Paul at the time called Velociraptor antirrhopus"

So if I read this correclty, the raptors from the movie weren't really Velociraptors...

bad_aim_billy
April 17, 2009, 05:46 PM
the obvious choice would be a 410/22 combo, with 40 gr .22 solids for long range work, and a whiff of 410 birdshot for close brush-busting

the other obvious choice would be a good life insurance policy

matrem
April 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
Obviously you guys haven't read the "go to" books on this!!
"Talking To T-Rex"
"Raptor Rut Revealed"
"Baby Brontosaurus Baiting Basics"
And,most important (for this thread)
"Deadly Dino Dumpers"
After reading those,you'll be a true expert.

Gunnerpalace
April 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
M32 with those new "super" HE rounds,

Suppressed M4 carbine (ability to move without causing a major scene or stampede)

Desert Eagle as a sidearm,

2 Kukris would be bad act also.

627PCFan
April 18, 2009, 07:11 PM
According to the discovery planet (ahem ahem *disclaimer*) dinos Central nervous system is vastly different than current animals, hence well placed gunfire still may not take one down. So I suggest the following:

USS Missouri (BB-63) ("Mighty Mo" or "Big Mo")

I mean why BS around?

RugerOldArmy
April 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
An RPG for distance work, or a flame-thrower for extra-crispy.

iscareliberalsandlikeit
April 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
You'd need to make it through several feet through bone and tissue with more collatal damage considering the large and crude organs. I mean I doubt you could drop one of these monsters like an elk. Just to be safe my vote goes to the M61 Vulcan Cannon just to be safe. The premier cannon on all USAF fixed wing aircraft for over five decades. Nothing like 20mm Vulcan for penetration and wound cavity size. (in armor and steel plates)

barnetmill
April 18, 2009, 10:30 PM
I assume you planning to use a gun that a hunter could carry. I suggest a 57 mm recoiless rifle. The down side is that it is single shot and you need a loader and it has quite back blast.

It you want to go light an RPG like the russians use. Judging from what they can do to a building it should really hurt a T. Rex. Again it is single shot and has back blast.
If sport is not part of the equation then an aircraft that has at least a 20 mm cannon on it.

skeet king
April 18, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'll go with a semi auto 30-06 throwing 180grn

cliffy
April 18, 2009, 11:00 PM
Jurassic Times never met a .243 Winchester. Pea-brained-sized animals cannot discern fear or aggression from safety. A ton of force should quell any succulent beastie with a brain-shot. Not into Dino Steaks, but maybe they're not so bad when tenderized. I'm a meat-eater, and occasional I'll eat a pea to balance my fruit intake requirements. I made it to 66 years without becoming a vegan. What happens at 85 years of age, I've seen all too often, regretfully. cliffy

Cpt. America
April 19, 2009, 03:47 AM
This should do the job.

Greenmachin3
April 19, 2009, 03:07 PM
Me, two of my friends, and a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. All terrain, 25mm Cannon, TOW missile launcher for the "he's coming right for us!" moments. Not to mention room inside for camp.

Baring that, I would probably mount one of these on some sort of vehicle.

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/000f1/000f1d22.jpg

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/environment/images/whaling6.gif

Explosive harpoon gun! Hit a T-Rex in the brisket or ribs and pull his ass down. Massive internal damage.

Quoheleth
April 19, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hit a T-Rex in the brisket or ribs and pull his ass down.

For T-Rex brisket, here's the gun:

Lou McGopher
April 21, 2009, 06:21 PM
This situation has already been addressed.

Please refer to the IMFDB:
Jurassic Park 3 (http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Jurassic_Park_III)

Your .50 BMG will not be effective. You will get eaten and your plane will be knocked down.

The proper weapon for taking down a Spinosaurus Aegypticus is a flare gun and gasoline.

gunsandreligion
April 21, 2009, 09:56 PM
An ak-47:D

The_Dude
April 21, 2009, 11:47 PM
Any of the following. . . . God help my shoulder.

.450 Nitro Express , .458 Winchester Magnum, .458 Lott, .460 Weatherby Magnum, .470 Nitro Express, and .500 Nitro Express.

Hurts just thinking about it. But if they stop Rinos and Elephants they'll do for you "smaller dinos" Raptors and the such.

For the big uns(T-REX and Brontosaurus). An F-15 with sidewinders.

No way in heck I would get close enough to one of the really big ones.

pymi
April 22, 2009, 12:41 AM
I would go with this dino safari mobile mounted rifle of choice.:D
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/pymi/dinohunter.jpg

Mp7
April 22, 2009, 07:08 AM
http://world.guns.ru/grenade/hk-gmg-2.jpg

40mm grenades, HE & AP.

tactikel
April 29, 2009, 10:58 PM
Holland & Holland double rifle in .600 Nitro express, solids of course ;)

My phaser's dilithium crystals are dead, and Wally World is always out of replacement crystals since the election!! :cuss:

Marbo40k
April 30, 2009, 12:32 AM
Bow, tomahawk, and a knife of course!:D

Maelstrom
April 30, 2009, 01:17 AM
Why the fascination with the Russian RPG?

What's wrong with the Stinger, you communists?!

Hell, when I was your age we were still using AT4s and Dragons!

Diamondback6
April 30, 2009, 01:19 AM
Stinger isn't anti-armor.

Why not an ol' W62 Davy Crockett? If you fire it right down the rex's throat, hopefully that huge torso will contain the nuke blast... sorta like cooking from the inside out while the meat's still "on the hoof".:eek:

juk
April 30, 2009, 03:13 AM
I would go with the "marine special" A LAW (light anti-tank weapon) loaded with a thermobaric warhead for the first shot. If that fails, a second shot from a standard explosive warhead would do. I'd have two people with me. One would be toting a loaded M60 and the other would have the shotgun and more 60 ammo.

kd7nqb
April 30, 2009, 05:05 AM
Well I was going to say my Mosin M44 but that was covered on page 1. So I have a new idea, remember that SBR M44 that there was the video of, I want 2 or 3 of those in cowboy holsters with pleanty of extra ammo.

Although it might be interesting to see what an AK would do, hell if its good enough to let commies kill commies and just about every drug cartel on the planet why not use it on our hunting expedition.

If I am correct there were some AK's made in 7.62x54r that would be fun if I could get a 50rnd drum

lgbloader
May 1, 2009, 12:56 AM
A pea shooter and a bitch slap.

LGB

Mike U.
May 1, 2009, 01:29 AM
A pea shooter and a bitch slap.

LGB

Well, at least we now know who's gonna be the first to be eaten.:D:D:D

lgbloader
May 1, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hey, it's a large caliber bitch slap.

LGB

jordan1948
May 1, 2009, 11:05 AM
'Plasma ray in 40watt range"
No but really, 4 bore double rifle for the big ones, M14 for carry rifle and Deagle .50 for side arm.

Mike U.
May 1, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hey, it's a large caliber bitch slap.

LGB

:D:D:D

sarduy
May 10, 2009, 04:33 AM
.22lr :neener:

This would be good enough

http://www.dvdfever.co.uk/reviews/jackald1.jpg

geologist
May 10, 2009, 09:49 AM
A rifle/grenade launcher with a flame thrower duct taped together.

I rest my case.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i155/pbgeologist/Ripley.jpg

natman
May 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
Since the OP stipulated that the hunt is ON FOOT, let's rule out cannons, 50BMG, and tripod mounted ordinance. Among guns that could realistically be carried and fired from the shoulder, I'd recommend a 460 Weatherby with 500 grain monolithic solids, although the 577 T-Rex, 600 NE, etc. would also serve.

This begs the question of where to shoot. A heart / lung shot is out of the question. It would probably be fatal eventually, but eventually won't cut it with a T-Rex!

Brain shots would be tough. The brain isn't all that big, reptilian nervous systems are decentralized, and the skull is massive.

What I would recommend is a immobilizing shot, probably to the knee. Then you could sink in a few heart / lung shots that would finally finish it off.

All things considered, there are other things I'd rather do. Have fun!

spiroxlii
May 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
If it were possible, I'd also opt for an immobilizing shot to destroy a joint in the leg or pelvis. Reliable CNS shots are too hard on an animal that may or may not have a decentralized nervous system and a well-protected brain. Cardiopulmonary shots may or may not work. All I know is that a lung-shot deer can run a football field before falling over. I don't want to know what a lung-shot Tyrannosaurus can do before it dies.

spiroxlii
May 10, 2009, 03:07 PM
If it were possible, I'd also opt for an immobilizing shot to destroy a joint in the leg or pelvis. Reliable CNS shots are too hard on an animal that may or may not have a decentralized nervous system and a well-protected brain. Cardiopulmonary shots may or may not work. All I know is that a lung-shot deer can run a football field before falling over. I don't want to know what a lung-shot Tyrannosaurus can do before it dies.

Kansan
May 10, 2009, 03:27 PM
I would fashion together a 3 pronged, fire hardened spear. I would sit in my deer, er, dino stand until a boone & crocket trophy dino passes by, at which time I would leap onto said reptilian beast while invoking the name of Chuck Norris and... Er... You know... See what happens.

Kansan
May 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
Actually, in all seriousness (as much as is possible with this scenario) I would take a .375 h&h. No point in bringing anything bigger if I can't handle the recoil. Oh yeah... A really nice scope.

Mike U.
May 10, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think the only chance you'd have with a hand carried long arm is to take out it's main sensory devices. From what I gather from paleontologists, T. Rex had an exemplary sense of smell to locate prey with on top of excellent eyesight.
If it can't see you, it can't eat you.
If it can't smell you, it can't find you.

A burst of .223 to the eyes should convince Mr. T. Rex to go elsewhere for his meal.
A burst in the nose would probably discourage him too.

I don't want to be the first to try this, so one of you younger xtreme sports types go first.:D

chemist308
May 10, 2009, 11:52 PM
LMAO. This one is too funny.

Why has nobody nominate the 375 H&H Magnum for a rifle?

And it seems folks are forgetting about the 454 Casull for a pistol...

kd7nqb
May 11, 2009, 05:19 AM
I am rethinking my original answer, since you dont want a heart lung shot and a brain shot wont work well. If your going for a joint imbolizing shot then why not go to hi-cap mags too.

I would recon that an AR-10 in .308 or .338 would do well but I would bet that you could have decent luck with a .223 if your approach was dump holes into joints.

Mike U.
May 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
LMAO. This one is too funny.

Glad ya like it. I'm still trying to get my tongue out of my cheek from writing it.:D

natman
May 11, 2009, 02:01 PM
I am rethinking my original answer, since you dont want a heart lung shot and a brain shot wont work well. If your going for a joint imbolizing shot then why not go to hi-cap mags too.

I would recon that an AR-10 in .308 or .338 would do well but I would bet that you could have decent luck with a .223 if your approach was dump holes into joints.

The object is to smash the joint, not make a bunch of tiny shallow holes. I'd rather get one good knee shot with a 500 grain solid than a magazine full of 223. We're talking about a joint that makes an elk shoulder look tiny.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Science/Images/Content/tyrannosaurus-rex-gn89860-3c-sw.jpg

.45Guy
May 11, 2009, 11:45 PM
I'm thinking a GSH-23 aircraft cannon. 3,400 RPM in a pretty light package.

http://www.kbptula.ru/eng/str/cannons/images/gsh23L.jpg

627PCFan
May 12, 2009, 06:09 PM
I was suprised we didnt see any "What caliber for Swine Flu Zombies" threads. Jurassic Park isnt bad either-

H&Hhunter
May 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
Any time you see a "what caliber for ________" you can rest assured that it will be full of meaningful and well researched responses.;)

spiroxlii
May 12, 2009, 07:41 PM
CCI Velocitor .22LR

matrem
May 13, 2009, 07:45 PM
Any time you see a "what caliber for ________" you can rest assured that it will be full of meaningful and well researched responses.
What?
You didn't get exactly what you asked for?
Of course you did!

BHP FAN
May 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
.45-70 Marlin Guide Gun stoked with 500 grain slugs would be my Velocirapter load.

kd7nqb
May 17, 2009, 02:35 AM
So I doubt that there would be any research on this but what if T-Rex had a notoriously low ability to clot blood or a low pain tolerance.

If for some reason T-rex had thin blood that would not clot well you could almost go for the spray and pray approach hoping just to "ventilate" Mr. Rex.

Or my personal favorite is that although T-Rex is a mega beast its really never developed a tolerance for pain. Again the ventilate approach might work.

Vern Humphrey
May 17, 2009, 09:28 AM
So I doubt that there would be any research on this but what if T-Rex had a notoriously low ability to clot blood or a low pain tolerance.
T-Rex was a carnivore that hunted huge prey. Such carnivores are often injured when taking down their prey. If T-Rex had such weaknesses, he would never have evolved -- his ancestors would have died out long before producing a T-Rex.

iiibdsiil
May 17, 2009, 10:07 AM
I just want my AK. Fire a couple shots off and run like hell.

Maybe they'll get full on y'all before getting to me?

spiroxlii
May 17, 2009, 11:42 AM
If we're running away from a Tyrannosaurus Rex, I don't have to outrun the dinosaur. I only have to outrun YOU. :)

Javelin
May 17, 2009, 12:56 PM
Why has nobody nominate the 375 H&H Magnum for a rifle?

If I had to go into J Park I would probably opt for my .375 H&H Mag.

;)

bigalexe
May 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
10 Gauge Remington Shotgun with an all-purpose barrel and a variety of ammo, the one that kicks less than a 12-gauge (the model number is escaping me).

Alternately a .223 semi-auto with a 50 Round Clip.

JohnnyOrygun
May 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
I have the answer! AC130 Spooky. 105mm cannon, (2) 20mm vulcans & (2) 40mm bofors, that would ruin their day & make mounting your trophy harder... But much safer!

Mike U.
May 17, 2009, 07:34 PM
Ummm...I've decided my Ruger MKII will do. Any old rounds will do. I'll just kneecap one of ya'll with it. Dinner is served...
:D:D:D

Titan6
May 17, 2009, 10:33 PM
I am thinking the M4 with 203 underslung would be ideal. The M4 could take out the smaller critters and give the big ones some love taps. Once the big ones closed in you could take them down with the 203. Even a 30 ton Allasaurus wouldn't be able to deal with the concussion of a 40 mm grenade.

If you enjoyed reading about "What caliber for Jurassic park?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!