357 handloading questions (equipment)

PDA

Throwingdown
April 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have two older Lee progressive presses. I used to reload 9mm and 45acp. I have started to shoot a lot of 357 magnum.
My question is, what equipment should I purchase to handload (not progressive), as I will probably load 100-150 rounds per.
What all do I need and what manufacturers have god quality equipment for a reasonable price point.
I started to look through the Midway catalog and started to get a headache..
As I am sure there are good and not so good presses/primer seaters/dies, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 handloading questions (equipment)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
April 16, 2009, 11:15 PM
I would suggest an inexpensive Lyman or RCBS single station press,and the proper shell holder. I don't know if you need a powder measure or if your Lee measure will work. If you're going to weigh all your 357 loads, you just need the press and shell holder since it appears you have the dies. Have you also considered checking for used presses on Gunbroker or Ebay? Good luck. :)

The Bushmaster
April 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Here we go again...I forgot the press wars...:D

Lee Classic Cast (iron) single stage press or turret press by the same name. Good price and quality to boot...

flipajig
April 17, 2009, 01:08 AM
myself and my loading partner are using a lee clasic turret press for 38spc,357,41, 44mag and 9mm we are also using it to load rifle 3030,3006and 7-30 waters we are using the lee auto primer also we are using lee dies for the pistol dies they carbide 4 die set from lee. all we do is change out the turret plate and shell holder and we are set up to load a different caliber.I hope this helps any other questions you can pm me

ArchAngelCD
April 17, 2009, 04:29 AM
Why not buy a set of Lee Carbide Dies for the .357 Magnum and use your existing press?

If you want something different Lee makes an inexpensive Classic Turret press. Buy the one with the Cast Iron base, not the cheaper one. I use that press for all my reloading. I can safely push out between 150-200 rounds an hour with handgun rounds.

Throwingdown
April 17, 2009, 09:09 AM
ArchAngelCD - for some reason I completely overlooked that idea - that may be the cheapest way to go!

ILikeRevolversMostly
April 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
If you'd like a new press, try the lee handloader, it provides plenty of psi for any pistol/revolver cartridge caliber up to most .50 cal loads, and I agree with Arch purchase a carbide .357 die set from lee, and I am also not aware of your current setup, but lee's auto primer is a very handy tool. You can handload .357 ammunition while you watch TV.

You will notice this is my first post on this forum. I couldn't resist posting because this thread was retrieved for my search to purchase the handloader. I am currently learning about ammo ballistics and reloading from a coworker. He owns multiple presses as well as lee's handloader and is very satisfied with the handloader. I do not claim to have a ton of knowledge but my first gun ever purchased was the Ruger gp100 .357 4" barrel revolver.

ArchAngelCD
April 18, 2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy shooting your own ammo.

Have fun and be safe...

remingtondude58
April 20, 2009, 05:26 PM
I would go with the LEE breech lock challenger or classic cast or turret

Martyk
April 20, 2009, 06:47 PM
I just curious about your post. Are your older presses worn out as in non functional any longer? Or are you concerned about using a progressive press to load .357?

If it's it's that latter, I don't know what the concern would be. I, and I'm sure many posting here, have loaded many a .357 on a progressive machine. I have a Dillon 550 and even when I load for rifle it lends itself nicely to being used as a single stage.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 handloading questions (equipment)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!