Bulk JHP - For practice only?

PDA

Shrinkmd
April 16, 2009, 11:20 PM
As everyone is stocking up on everything, everywhere, I am curious about what is out there in bulk JHP. I have seen Montana Gold mentioned several times as a good source. Are they the best quality/deal for the money?

Has anyone done expansion testing or other testing of these bullets? They look like a decent deal. with the jacketing all the way around the bullet tip (some JHP look like they really have an exposed lead tip) The price difference for 1000 is only $3 between FMJ RN and JHP for 230 gr (although the case pricing is a little better for FMJ)

Besides a few bucks extra, any reason you wouldn't want the JHP, just in case?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulk JHP - For practice only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
D. Manley
April 16, 2009, 11:49 PM
Montana Gold is top-notch as is, the Zero bullets. Both are priced very close to FMJ styles with the added benefit of no exposed lead on the base...nice, if shooting indoors. Never tested either for expansion but of the two, I'd say the Zero would be the way to go there. While bullet styles differ from style to style and caliber to caliber, some of the MG JHP are very unlikely to expand sufficiently if, at all...consider them more of a "match" bullet. I love them both for general purpose work but frankly, would'nt trust either for defensive purposes.

remingtondude58
April 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know about quality, but this place seems pretty cheap http://www.mastercast.net/tcj_bullets.htm

ReloaderFred
April 20, 2009, 08:12 PM
Master Cast is most likely selling Berry's Plated Bullets, since the product listing is almost identical. Berry's is the only one I know making the .45 acp HBRN bullet, which is listed on the Master Cast site.

Hope this helps.

Fred

rfwobbly
April 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
2 points...

• Precision Delta is another great bulk source. 2000 min order. Running about 6-8 weeks backlog right now. Graf & Sons is also a good source for multiple vendors of bulk. Last time I checked they had a special on bulk Gold Dots in 9mm. I didn't check on 45 sizes.

• You've need to realize that most of the shooters using bulk are doing so for competition purposes. They care about accuracy, the hole in the cardboard, and their time much far more than expansion. "Does it knock down steel??", is their one survival mantra.

Hope this helps!

Walkalong
April 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
Most pistol bullets out there will out shoot most of us most of the time. :scrutiny:

paradox998
April 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
Just started reloading and tried Montana gold. First loads worked well and they shipped promptly. I will likely order more. JHP's seem to be a good round for many purposes. The order came out to less than .10 round with shipping.

Jimfern
April 21, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't know what you plan to use them for, but RN have a better track record for feeding well. If you don't have any feeding problems with your gun, then it doesn't really matter.

Hungry Seagull
April 21, 2009, 12:52 PM
I used Speer Lawman TMJ's in the 230 grain for paper. They shoot well enough to consider using for carry if necessary. But the Gold Dots are too expensive to be plinking more than a rationed number a month.

Shrinkmd
April 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
Specific to the Montana Gold, and issues with the harder jacket increasing barrel wear? I have seen it mentioned that people might need reduced loads compared to other FMJ, but this seems unconfirmed.

I would just like more info before committing to ordering a case of them.

edelbrock
April 21, 2009, 07:52 PM
I just received a case of 2700 .40 165grn HP from Montana Gold. I intend to use them for plinking. I figured the extra few bucks for the case was worth it for the HP. Like you said "Just in case"

D. Manley
April 21, 2009, 08:33 PM
Specific to the Montana Gold, and issues with the harder jacket increasing barrel wear? I have seen it mentioned that people might need reduced loads compared to other FMJ, but this seems unconfirmed.

I've never heard this and frankly, I'm skeptical. There's been an awful lot of stuff harder than MG bullets pushed down barrels in volume before and competitors shoot MG in staggering annual round counts.

FWIW, in some calibers and in my guns, I find just a tad more pressure tightens the groups with MG. For instance, 4.8 grains of VV N-330 under a 115 Hornady XTP is about as good as it gets for me. With the MG 115 JHP (very similar design profile), I bump the charge to 5.0 to equal the XTP groups at 4.8. Of course it goes without saying this is in no way a universal indicator but in my case, that's just the way it is.

hddeluxe
April 22, 2009, 09:39 PM
Try www.rozedist.com for bulk bullets. Good stuff and free shipping. Only thing is right now they are about one month behind on shipping orders.

VegasOPM
April 22, 2009, 09:44 PM
Montana Gold make great bullets, but the hollow points aren't really designed for defensive purposes. They tend not to expand easily or reliably. That being said, they are accurate and well made.

Lovesbeer99
April 22, 2009, 11:18 PM
ping - i want to be able to use reference this later.

By the way, what is cheap bulk? I get pretty good results with most bullets in the 52-55 gr range, but I get great results with Sierra Match 52 gr hpbt. I just bought 500 from Midway for 83.00. This is a really good price for these particular bullets, and they were in stock.

Anyone try Armscor bullets? They also sell these at Midway and they are pretty cheap.

ReloaderFred
April 22, 2009, 11:56 PM
I've only used Armscor pistol ammunition and bullets. Their pistol and revolver brass is pretty good stuff. I bought 2,000 rounds of their .38 Super loaded ammunition on closeout a few years ago for $6.99 a box, and it's proven to be pretty accurate, though not loaded up to the .38 Super's potential, but then neither is domestic .38 Super.

At the time I bought that ammunition, on one of the other forums there was a guy who lived about 30 miles from the Armscor plant in the Phillipines. He told me that the cheapest he could get that same .38 Super ammunition for there was the equivalent of $21.00 U.S.

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulk JHP - For practice only?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!