Favorite Ruger DA revolver?

PDA

Carl
April 17, 2009, 08:50 AM
Which of these revolvers have you had the most reliability/accuracy/just plain fun with?

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite Ruger DA revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlayGlock
April 17, 2009, 08:54 AM
I voted for the GP100. Just an all around fantatic gun, for plinking, SD, or hunting whitetail and hogs if you were so inclined.

Thomas Garrett
April 17, 2009, 09:21 AM
I voted Security Six.

Pistol Toter
April 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
Voted: SP101, 2.25" .357 my constant companion.

bodman
April 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
I guess your favorite really depends on what you use it for.
All ruger revolvers will last a lifetime or more if cared for properly.
I have a SP101 2 1/4 inch with hammer in 357. It serves as concealed carry, home protection and, vacation gun.
I doubt if I wear it out in my lifetime.

Bodman

Ben Shepherd
April 17, 2009, 11:35 AM
I own at least one example of each. I voted redhawk. None of my redhawks has ever given me an ounce of trouble, and one of the 41's has shown itself to be a straight up lazer in the accuracy dept.

Though they are a bit big and heavy for social duty......:D

outdare
April 17, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have a Super Blackhawk SS 44mag cowboy. It is a great to shoot.

hoptob
April 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
I have 3 Rugers - 4" GP; 2-3/4" Speed Six and 2-1/4" SP DAO. All 3 are equally reliable, as in 100%. GP wins hands down in the accuracy and speed shooting dept. due to longer barrel and extra weigth. Speed Six IMO is best all around carry gun except in very warm weather. SP is more concealable but I tend to use Speed Six in Fall-Spring and then switch to 640/442 for summer carry. SP shines for short barrel SD practice with heavy magnum loads.

Mike

REDEYE
April 17, 2009, 12:45 PM
I would love to someday own an SP or Redhawk. Either is awesome.

MCgunner
April 17, 2009, 05:21 PM
They're all good, but the SP101 is especially good.

Shooter973
April 17, 2009, 07:24 PM
This would have to be my 357 mag. Redhawk, 5.5 inch. It has a set of lighter springs in it and a set of pachmayr grips and it is just a hoot to shoot and will take any kind of load that will fit in the chambers. I use it as a range run only as it is one of the heaviest handguns ever made. but it shoot like a house afire!!! Normal loads are very mild in this huge handgun, and light loads are like shooting a 22 with shorts in it. Heavy Loads do extremely well on Bowling pins and recoil is handled better by this gun than any other I've ever tried. :D

Blue Brick
April 17, 2009, 07:38 PM
Service Six

Snobal
April 17, 2009, 11:08 PM
I voted for the Redhawk because my 5 1/2" .44 Mag has been my favorite "deer catcher" since the early 1980's.

It also served me well for coyote calling, jackrabbit hunting, and lots and lots of squirrels....

But I just got a 4" GP100 last fall and got to admit that it has become my favorite gun....

...only because I'm too old to be out chasing deer --- cause I couldn't drag it back to the truck if I shot another one:o...

...But I can still join the local folks for Bullseye Pistol matches each month and the GP100 is doing great!:)

wnycollector
April 18, 2009, 08:20 AM
Gotta love those Sixes...they have been out of production for 20 years but they keep on tickin:) I have both 2.75" and 6" Security Sixes, and now I'm on the hunt for a 4" SS speed six to round out my collection.

Walkalong
April 18, 2009, 10:56 AM
Redhawk, with the Security Six hot on its tail.

Deanimator
April 18, 2009, 11:05 AM
I had a 6" Security Six back in the '80s when I was in the Army. It was a decent gun.

The only thing I don't like about the GP100 is the full length underlug, which I HATE. There have only been three guns which really looked good with a full lug, the Python, Diamondback and the Dan Wesson.

logical
April 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
To be fair, you really need to add the Security/Service/Speed Six results together...they are the same gun with just rear sight and butt shape variances.
I like the SP101 for what it is but as an all around gun, the Sixes are top dogs.

ArmedBear
April 18, 2009, 11:39 AM
I put the Super Redhawk.

If you want to shoot hot loads in .44 or larger, the SRH makes it pleasant, even in a double action. The overall dimensions and balance still feel "right", unlike some other monster revolvers out there. The small grip stud allows for a lot of padding, and the beefy frame tames recoil while letting you enjoy shooting hot loads without that nagging feeling that you're trashing your revolver.:)

The other guns are good, too, but IMO the SRH is the one that stands out as truly unique in what it offers.

Chris O
April 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
Security Six

David E
April 19, 2009, 04:26 PM
Security Six. It's the strongest mid-size frame made.

Dr.Rob
April 19, 2009, 04:34 PM
6 inch GP-100 is just plain fun for shooting bowling pins at 50 yards.

ewenit
April 19, 2009, 05:20 PM
I own an sp101 2.25" .357 and I love it but for overall fun factor my vote has to go for the 6" GP100

M'bogo
April 19, 2009, 06:00 PM
Security Six, I have been shooting the same 4" blued one since I was 18 I am now 37. It has fired tens of thousands of rounds with out a hitch. It is still a great all around handgun. It takes care of plinking, hunting, woods bumming and home/self defense chores with ease.

M'bogo

trader vic
April 19, 2009, 06:20 PM
A ruger security six was the 1st big bore handgun I bought back in the early 7o's. Traded it years ago, it's on the big list of guns I wish I had back. Strong frame, good shooter, accurate. Just a little funky feeling compared to a S&W or a Colt, those small grips. I put a set of Herritt presentation grips on it & they made a world of change in the looks & feel. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

HD_Ride
April 19, 2009, 06:36 PM
I purchased my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag used in 1991. It still looks and shoots just like the day like picked it out of the showcase. Itís a Ruger so itís reliable and the 44 has always been big fun to shoot:D

Carl
April 19, 2009, 07:30 PM
To be fair, you really need to add the Security/Service/Speed Six results together...they are the same gun with just rear sight and butt shape variances.

What exactly are the differences between the three?

420Stainless
April 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
Didn't vote since I only have experience with one, the Security Six. Bought it for practical reasons, but have grown extremely fond of it.

john44402
April 19, 2009, 09:22 PM
I voted Super Redhawk.

In the safe, there's one chambered in .44, and one chambered in .480.

It seems there are strength and durability issues between the prominent brands.

I'll just say, short of the X frame smiths, and sundry other custom revolvers, the Super Redhawks have no peer.

Magnum.35744
April 19, 2009, 09:52 PM
The one that comes to mind is my Grandfathers. It has a 6" barrel, Stainless Steel finish, and Pachmayr Presentation grips. It's the finest and my favorite revolver to this day. He said "Once it's his time to go home"; I'll have the Security Six to keep me company.

logical
April 20, 2009, 12:25 AM
Quote:

What exactly are the differences between the three?

There are exceptions but in general:

Security Sixes are square butt, adjustable sight in 2.75, 4 and 6 inch barrels.

Service Sixes and Police Service Sixes are fixed sight, mostly square butt in 2.5 and 4 barrels

Speed Sixes are generally fixed sight and round butt in the shorter barrels.

There were some government contract 3" guns too, a Speed Six for USPS Agents is one example.. Some number of the Police Service Sixes left the factory as spurless hammer.

Most all Sixes are .357, a few of each are .38 special . There are even a really small number in 9mm, .380 rimmed and even .38 S&W.

Carl
April 20, 2009, 12:49 AM
Is there any advantage/disadvantage with a round/square butt?

Hope nobody takes that question out of context!

M'bogo
April 20, 2009, 01:29 AM
Corrcet me if I am wrong but I recall Ruger making a run of blued Security Sixes for the FBI also. They had larger than the normal wooden grips with a small cut out on the bottom so you could still see the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame.

M'bogo

kludge
April 20, 2009, 02:16 AM
Talk about a touch choice...

For looks I'll take a Security Six.

For carry I'll take a Speed Six with a 2-3/4" barrel and DAO... wish I could find one... but I just bought a SP101 2-1/4", and I like it a lot.

For range use the GP100 wins hands down... Ruger is putting nice triggers on them these days (much better than my old Service Six)... and is so very accurate.

The Redhawk is a beautiful gun... the only gun I ever bought just because I had to have it in .45 Colt.

I'm having a hard time getting my Super Redhawk to shoot straight... maybe it's me, but I don't think so.

Please don't make me choose...

OK, GP100... but if I could have gotten a Redhawk .45 with a 5.5" barrel, it would be that.

kludge
April 20, 2009, 02:17 AM
Is there any advantage/disadvantage with a round/square butt?

round butt = better concealed carry

David E
April 20, 2009, 02:19 AM
Corrcet me if I am wrong but I recall Ruger making a run of blued Security Sixes for the FBI also. They had larger than the normal wooden grips with a small cut out on the bottom so you could still see the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame.

I don't know about any for the FBI, but that was the factory configuration before being replaced by the GP-100

(Don't you miss guns with names? Like "Security Six, Diamondback, Python, Etc" These damn model numbers are so boring! and the "M&P" series is so confusing ! It covers everything revolvers from 1899 to AR-15's)

logical
April 20, 2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, you could get pretty much any Six in blue or stainless and there were various different small, large and even rubber factory grips. Some chambered for .380 rimmed even had a factory lanyard ring.

jaholder1971
April 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've got 2 GP100's, 6" and 4" and a Security Six.

They all go to the range together and get shot equally.

Rexster
April 23, 2009, 09:40 PM
All of mine were/are tied for reliability, except for one Redhawk that had tight tolerances, and fouling under the extractor could gum it up rather quickly.

Accuracy - GP100

Just plain fun - uh, probably the SP101s, collectively, counting all types of fun.

I will vote GP100, because one particular 4" fully- lugged-barrel adjustable-sight GP100 is my favorite firearm, period. It played a part in my still being around to type this.

Rexster
April 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
Deanimator, regarding the fully-lugged barrel, Ruger has made GP100s without the full lug, in 3", 4", and 6" lengths, that I know of. I have a 4" fixed-sight GP100 and a 6" adjustable sight GP100 without full lugs.

wheelgunslinger
April 23, 2009, 09:54 PM
Super Redhawk. It's so much fun and such a big lump of iron.

Really, they are a ton of fun to shoot if you like to be a lab geek brewing your own rounds, or shooting out of a box with killer Buffalo Bore or White Box.

One friend chopped the barrel on his and carried it concealed.

They're a great gun.

Deanimator
April 23, 2009, 11:02 PM
Deanimator, regarding the fully-lugged barrel, Ruger has made GP100s without the full lug, in 3", 4", and 6" lengths, that I know of. I have a 4" fixed-sight GP100 and a 6" adjustable sight GP100 without full lugs.
I don't believe that's a current item. I don't know how uncommon they are. I don't see them at shows.

Rexster
April 24, 2009, 10:16 AM
My non-lugged fixed-sight GP100 was made in 2002, and I bought it new in 2004. I am not sure when my non-lugged 6" GP100 was made, but I bought it used in 2007. It is a shame if Ruger will only offer them from now on with fully lugged barrels.

coach22
April 24, 2009, 12:26 PM
Speed Six Stainless 2 & 3/4 inch 357.
Pachmayr Compacs and loaded with
Buffalo Bore 158 +P's.

Brian Williams
April 24, 2009, 04:55 PM
The only Ruger DA's that I could get excited about would be a 3" SP-101(my vote) in 9mm or a 5" Redhawk in 357.

Meeteetse
April 24, 2009, 06:29 PM
I have a fixed sight 4" GP-100 and a 5 1/2" Redhawk. Both are great guns and serve totally different purposes. Love them both even though I voted for the GP-100.

I agree with Brian Williams, I would love Ruger to bring back the Redhawk .357.

Confederate
April 24, 2009, 07:13 PM
If I were chained to the stall of a range, I'd choose the GP-100. Make me carry it and I'll take the Security-Six any day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite Ruger DA revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!