Consistent Fliers ? 357mag carbine load

PDA

fourdollarbill
April 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
A while back I was trying to find a decent load that worked well in a 6" GP100 and an 1894c so I could just load one round and plink away. This is a problem I cannot figure out. The same loaded 150gr lswc using 2400 and or Bullseye will shoot a great POA from both guns. When I load a 125gr XTP or a 140gr XTP's with a mid to heavy using 2400 the 1894C will shoot same POA and the GP100 will shoot 3" up and 2" left of the POA and it stays consistent. I did not take the 2400 to the bottom end light load but I did try switching primers. Here are the primers used in order. CCI550, CCI500, WSP and the GP POA stayed high left.
I found my perfect plinking round but now I have this new problem.:banghead:
Is this typical? Do you have any suggestions?

GP100 150grLSWC - 2400 good POA
1894C 150grLSWC - 2400 good POA
1894C 125/140 XTP - 2400 med to hot good POA
GP100 125/140 XTP - 2400 med to hot HIGH LEFT POA consistent.
The hot loads were all weighed using a Redding Beam to assure no boomers so I know they were all the same.

One unique note: The cci500 did pretty well with a med hvy 2400 load.

If you enjoyed reading about "Consistent Fliers ? 357mag carbine load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
It is not at all unusual for a handgun, or rifle for that matter, to change POI with different bullet weights, or velocities.

That you found a lead bullet load that works in both guns is good.

That the jacketed bullets at higher velocity do not is no surprise.

More recoil, or a faster recoil impulse in the handgun moves it before the bullet gets out of the barrel.

I know of no way to change it, as it is simple physics, and those rules are set in stone.

rc

fourdollarbill
April 17, 2009, 12:57 PM
Good enough for me!
I don't even hunt anyway but I sure do love to blow up water filled milk jugs.
Thank you for the info.

Funny thing is. This is the first time with top of the scale loads and I thought I damaged the GP. I never did like Hot loads so I'll just stick with the plinkers.

ReloaderFred
April 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
Changing the point of aim with a different load or gun is pretty common, and isn't a case of having fliers. Different load combinations will shoot to different places on the targets.

It's been my experience that every .357 firearm I have has shot better with heavy bullets. You might try something like a 158 grain bullet, on up to 180 grain bullets, and see if you can find a load that will shoot to the same point of aim in both firearms.

There's a lot of barrel length difference in those two guns, so the harmonics and burning characteristics are going to differ considerably. It's probably going to take a compromise to get a load that will work in both firearms.

I would also try different powders. That often makes a big difference.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thingster
April 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
Or just pick the load that you like and sight your guns in for that load.

Eb1
April 17, 2009, 04:31 PM
Or just pick the load that you like and sight your guns in for that load.

I was thinking the same thing. If the load groups good in both guns, just change the sights to shoot POA.

Ben Shepherd
April 17, 2009, 04:35 PM
Heavens yes!! If you've got one load that's fast enough for you and groups well out of both, regulate the sights on both guns to that load and call it a day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Consistent Fliers ? 357mag carbine load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!