How many rounds test fired from S&W?

PDA

PhiloebeddoUSA
April 17, 2009, 01:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how many rounds are test fired when a new revolver comes off the line. I am guessing that they would test each chamber to check the timing (DA), perhaps each chamber twice (one DA, one SA).

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "How many rounds test fired from S&W?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pistol Toter
April 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
I have seen the front of the cylinder blackened on one charge hole and three charge holes. The three will be alternating. So as few as one and many as three.

Jim Watson
April 17, 2009, 02:03 PM
I don't know what they are doing now, but at one time, they fired every other chamber. Alternating burn marks were very apparent.

Jim K
April 17, 2009, 02:09 PM
Years ago, they fired revolvers with a proof round for every chamber, then a functioning round for every chamber. I think now they fire only three proof rounds and no functioning rounds.

Jim

MICHAEL T
April 18, 2009, 01:55 AM
Sort of kills the NIB never fired line doesn't it.
I have told people that factory fires and been told I was wrong Long ago stoped trying.

Larry Burchfield
April 18, 2009, 08:30 AM
Most people understand that the weapon has been test fired at the factory to see if everything works. NIB means to me that the weapon is new in the box from the factory. ANIB says to me that it may have been fired by someone after leaving the factory.
These are just my thoughts and are how I inspect a gun before buying
Larry Burchfield
SEABEES/RVN/67/68/69
DAV

DickM
April 18, 2009, 10:11 AM
I took a tour of the S&W plant in Springfield, MA a couple of months ago. They said that revolvers are test-fired three times (no info on how the cartridges are placed in the cylinder), and autos get tested with one full magazine. They didn't specifically say anything about proof vs. normal pressure rounds, but I think it's safe to say from the context of the conversation that normal pressure rounds are used.

Fantastic tour, by the way. They showed us everything from initial forging to the engraving process (only one engraver left). S&W is a curious combination of 19th-century hand work and the latest automated machinery. The new computer-controlled milling machines are like something out of Star Wars.

PhiloebeddoUSA
April 18, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. My 617 showed up at the FFL with chamber fouling, and it got me to wondering about the testing.

Can't wait to test it out! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many rounds test fired from S&W?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!