Fondled an LCR today

PDA

Lovesbeer99
April 17, 2009, 09:50 PM
At the local gun shop and I'm loving it. I can't believe how light this is. The grip felt perfect except that I don't usually like them with the scallops cause my hands are small. They let me dry fire it and I was impressed. For an out of the box gun it was better than just usable, it was actually nice. I'm betting with time it will only get better. For me it pointed where I was looking. I can't wait to fire one of these. I think I need one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fondled an LCR today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
April 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
Have you looked for .380 ammo lately?

greenjeans
April 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
LCR, Not LCP, but .38 Sp. isn't much easier to find. At least around here.

GunLvrNLearner
April 17, 2009, 10:17 PM
I have a LCP which as you know was hard to find for awhile and may still be...how hard are the LCR to find? What is the going fair price new for the LCR? It is an enclosed hammer correct? So DAO right? Thanks

Dimis
April 18, 2009, 12:11 AM
i havent found one in person yet online sales i.e. gunbroker or the like you can find em but you dont wanna pay for em ive seen as stupid an asking price as 1500 because its new and limited units have shipped so far
supposed price is 500-600 for hogue gripped model and 700-800 for crimson trace model
indeed its an enclosed hammer so DAO

spiroxlii
April 18, 2009, 12:46 AM
I know Rugers are generally reliable and tough, so I am NOT saying that they aren't worth the price. All I am saying is that the estimated price on those LCRs is about the same as the price on comparable S&W j-frames around here. I love having more choices in the same niche, but I sure do wish that somebody would find a way to do it well AND more affordably than S&W, Ruger, and Taurus.

ArchAngelCD
April 18, 2009, 01:19 AM
The list price for the LCR (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=65&variation=LCR%E2%84%A2&bct=Yes&type=Revolver) on the Ruger site is $525, $729 with Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I'm told by a few dealers they will be available for the street price of $400-$425 when they become available. (dealer prices are already posted)

Racinbob
April 18, 2009, 05:50 PM
I handled one at the Shot Show and was not impressed with the trigger pull. Not even close to an out of the box S&W J. Maybe it was just that particular one but I would have thought they'd have the best example at the show.

jhco
April 18, 2009, 06:10 PM
felt it at shot show and was unimpressed. It felt and looked cheap to me, it answered a question I didn't ask. I'll stick with my J-frame.

punkndisorderly
April 18, 2009, 06:24 PM
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people have looked at purchasing a new firearm only to say "nevermind" when they found the shelves bare of ammo for it.

For example, while the LCR and LCP are both fairly hot commodities, .380 and .38 special are perhaps the most difficult to find ammo around at the moment.

I can't count the number of times I've visited a store that had a nearly full stock of firearms but no ammo to feed them. I'd be failrly annoyed if I found a gun I wanted, then had to pay the "Obama Premium" on it, then couldn't shoot it for weeks because no one had ammo for it.

sidheshooter
April 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
You make a good point. I'd sort of like a little .380 along the lines of an LCP or the new Taurus announced at the shot show, but I want to have some ammo in hand for it first. I've got just two left over boxes of federal HS in my locker, and that's it... with nothing at the local place and nothing in the online places.

For the short term, buying ammo first and then going looking for an appropriate launcher may be the way to go.

Lovesbeer99
April 18, 2009, 10:35 PM
Around here there is any kind of ammo you want, but it is expensive.
I roll my own, especailly in 38 and 357 so I'm not worried about ammo.

I would also respectively disagree about the trigger on the LCR being worse as than an out of the box j frame. The LCP is way better out of the box.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fondled an LCR today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!