Hi Point at gun show

PDA

Doodler
April 18, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm a bit concerned. Has the over all quality of Hi Point improved drastically? I was at the gun show today in StPaul MN and one of the bigger booths was selling Hi Points, 9mm and .380 The problem is that they were selling them one after another, faster than they could call in the checks. I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but this huge amount of sales of 9mm and .380 hi points may be part of the ammo shortage problem with these calibers. I mean they were SELLING the crap out of them, over 160 by 11:am and the show started at 8:am. Most of the people I saw buying these $150 guns appeared to be first time buyers with a lot of "basic" questions. I really don't want new buyers to have that sort of "taste" in their mouths, do you? Any thoughts or input?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Point at gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
April 18, 2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think it is any of my business what first time buyers decide to purchase.

I own a Hi-Point, and so does one of my brothers and my dad. They are cheap pistols. Almost worth what they cost.

What "taste" is it you are referring to?
What would you suggest?

Doodler
April 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
What "taste" is it you are referring to?
I've never heard anything good about them, I would hate for newbies to think that is what shooting is about. Has the quality improved?

dbarile
April 18, 2009, 08:40 PM
I knew it!!!!

It's those Hi-Point owners fueling the ammo shortage!

I knew those guys look kinda shifty.

Seriously, another Hi-Point thread, what next?

CoRoMo
April 18, 2009, 08:45 PM
No, I can't imagine that their quality has improved.

Just because you haven't heard anything good about them doesn't mean you are well informed about them.

I would hate for newbies to be brow-beaten by the opinion of anyone else.

98C5
April 18, 2009, 08:45 PM
People think Obama will cause shortages/bans on semi-auto rifles. You know those "evil black rifles". So, people start to buy them. Months later, the media starts to report a surge in gun sales as people(again)think Obama will pass an AWB again. So, now people are buying anything 'gun'. Almost like "in before the AWB" mentality. Money is tight these days and people want guns. Many are chosing the Hi-Point brand because they are cheap and the shoot.

The Lone Haranguer
April 18, 2009, 08:47 PM
They attract first time buyers, people who want a gun for protection but are not gun enthusiasts, and people on a budget due to the low price. Most buyers, I suspect, will find them satisfactory for such purposes.

Doodler
April 18, 2009, 08:54 PM
Just because you haven't heard anything good about them doesn't mean you are well informed about them.
Correct, that is why I am here asking. If I like the answers I get, I may just go back tomorrow and pick a few up. How will they compare to my Berettas, Springfield, Taurus and Ruger?

CoRoMo
April 18, 2009, 09:04 PM
No comparison. Hi-Points are cheap and ugly. I bought a C9 so that my kids would have something cheap but reliable to train with as opposed to handing them Daddy's 1911 and they end up scratching it up, or otherwise damaging it somehow.

I've often said that my C9 was almost worth the $80 I paid for it.:D

My little brother falls into the first time buyer that post #7 describes.

My dad... I don't know why he bought one. He has a wonderful collection of handguns of all calibers, makes, and models. I guess he just wanted a cheap gun like me.

modifiedbrowning
April 18, 2009, 09:07 PM
They attract first time buyers, people who want a gun for protection but are not gun enthusiasts, and people on a budget due to the low price. Most buyers, I suspect, will find them satisfactory for such purposes.

Exactly. I saw two Hi-points being purchased today in the span of 5 minutes.

BillyBA
April 18, 2009, 09:10 PM
i own a high pont 9mm and it shoots almost as well as my taurus 917C 9mm ? just a cheap , light weight gun opposed to a more expensive heavier , metal gun ?? it dosent look any uglier than a glock either - althogh next to my taurus , it is the red headed step son ??

The Lone Haranguer
April 18, 2009, 09:14 PM
As I've written many times, I've paid several times as much for handguns that still malfunctioned and broke parts.

CoRoMo
April 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm never going to sell my C9... well... unless it breaks and Hi-Point offers to fix it. The catch being that I have to pay for the shipping and labor. If/when that happens, it's for sale, and I'll buy another C9.:cool:

Jim K
April 18, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have never owned a High Point, but I have fired them and found them reliable and accurate, more than can be said about many more expensive guns.

I wonder why the High Point haters always say they have never owned one, never fired one, and sometimes never seen one, but they somehow just know they are no good!

Jim

stickhauler
April 18, 2009, 09:32 PM
They've reported for months of the huge increase in NCIS checks for firearm purchases, for every brand or model firearm made. That translates to more people buying ammo to use in their new purchases. This isn't some vast conspiracy deal going on, more gun buyers means more ammo demand.

And as to the ugliness or beauty of a gun, if you can put a round in the chamber, pull the trigger, and it goes BANG and ends up pretty much where you intended it to go, what's the big problem? I have a C-9, it does what any gun is supposed to do, it goes BANG, and the round ends up where I wanted to put it. Is it a work of art? Hell no. Is it worth the money I spent on it? Yup! Would use it for a carry weapon? Nope, it's too heavy and the magazine capacity is limited.

What makes me angry is the tone some people use toward the guns, it's as if any person who would actually buy a Hi Point is somehow a lesser person, as if their choice of a firearm makes them suspect somehow. I have some surplus firearms that cost much less than a Hi Point, am I somehow suspect because I happen to own "Commie" guns?

If you don't like them, don't buy them. If you've bought them and don't like them, let me know, I have the url of a couple of forums where there's folks who will be more than happy to buy them off of you. If you've never even shot one, and pass judgment, grow up, and act like an adult. There are makes of guns I doubt I'll ever buy, but I'm not pontificating like I'm an expert on them either.

blkbrd666
April 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, that's rollin'...one sale, form and NICS check every 65 seconds.

jcwit
April 18, 2009, 09:48 PM
The whole point regarding Hi-Point amounts to two words.

BRAGGING RIGHTS

BhmBill
April 18, 2009, 09:52 PM
Like the Lone Haranger said... I've had more expensive guns that still broke. My hi-point carbine was under $200 OTD at gunshow prices. It was one of the better buys as it hasn't broken anywhere or needed anything other than bulk 9mm. It goes bang and is more accurate than I can shoot.

Guns are like cars... you can have looks, reliability, and frugality. Pick 1 or 2, you can't have all 3.

kirkcdl
April 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
That's funny,I've never heard anything BAD about HiPoints...

At least not from anybody that owns one...

Bezoar
April 18, 2009, 10:49 PM
Id love to know just what the OP buys and what he pays for them. I have a feeling that he doesnt pay a fair price for fancy name brand handguns.

Hi Points work, and are reasonably priced. They arent intended tobe safe queens or display pieces. As a result they are purchased to own, shoot, and to make sure a person can discourage a mugger.

Doodler
April 18, 2009, 11:08 PM
Id love to know just what the OP buys and what he pays for them. I have a feeling that he doesnt pay a fair price for fancy name brand handguns.
I buy what I like. That means a number of things. It includes appearance, reliability, "feel", size, yes brand does play a small role. I find a gun that I like the looks of or have a specific use for, then I do a vast amount of research, reading, asking, reading more, then asking more and different questions, followed by a bit of research about the manufacturer, then comes the actual shopping. I usually look for a reasonably priced, gently used gun, but if I cannot find one in a fair amount of time, and get anxious, then I will not hesitate to throw caution into the wind and just go pay market price for a new gun. I do not buy ANYTHING without putting a lot of thought into it first, however there are a few that I bought on a whim, and while there have yet to be any actual regrets, there are a few that I would probably not have purchased if the research were there. This thread is in fact part of the research process. For the price, if they are reliable(so far so good) I can not see where it would be a mistake to buy a high point. Maybe even a 9mm(my least favorite caliber).

Dr. Fresh
April 18, 2009, 11:22 PM
I'm never going to sell my C9... well... unless it breaks and Hi-Point offers to fix it. The catch being that I have to pay for the shipping and labor. If/when that happens, it's for sale, and I'll buy another C9.

Excepting a drastic change in the way Hi-Point does business, that's not going to happen.

If it breaks, you ship it to them at your expense, they fix it for free, then ship it back to you with extra magazines to cover the shipping cost. Their service is the best.

Ask me how I know. :D

I bought a broken 995 carbine for $60. It had a cracked stock and a broken firing pin and a missing rear sight. I basically got a brand new gun back from them. They didn't fix the stock, they put a new one on.

akodo
April 18, 2009, 11:26 PM
a crappy gun is better than no gun.

Yes, a used revolver for $200 would be better than a high point, but there just aren't many of those floating around any more.

For home defense, a lightly used 12 gauge pump, one of those coast to coasts or an older mossberg would be about the price of a highpoint, but as far as handguns, highpoint is the only one at that price point.

It is unfortunate, but that is that.

metallic
April 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
Only real complaint I have with it is that the ergonomics are horrible. I fondled one at a gun show and immediately knew it wasn't for me. But from what I hear, the thing does go bang every time.

Would I prefer that first time gun owners buy something a little higher quality? Sure. But if this gets them hooked on the shooting sports, who am I to complain? We need all the friends we can get right about now. If you haven't noticed, we are on the verge of what Saddam Hussein would call "the mother of all wars." Another gun owner is another gun owner.

hometheaterman
April 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
I've not owned a Hi Point and I do think there are better guns out there. However, I've only heard one or two people that have actually owned them have a issue. I've heard of a ton of bashers that have never had one. Most people that have had them I've heard from like them. Sure they are heavy and ugly and you basically can't field strip them to clean them they seem to shoot decently from what I hear, they a super cheap, and they have a life time warranty if you ever have a issue.

For handguns their are rather brands I'd rather have but I wouldn't mind at all having one of their 9mm carbines.

Doodler
April 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
Here's what I bought today, probably gonna go pick up a hi point tomorrow, for under the seat of the car/in the trunk. Can't hurt to have a spare around, and for the price, I guess I'll give it a chance.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/AxA_04/S5005424.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/AxA_04/S5005423.jpg

Doodler
April 19, 2009, 12:06 AM
By the way, a guy on here had an sp101 that had the trigger worked, hammer bobbed, and barrel milled, with a few pics. Can't find the thread, anyone remember? Got a link?

mnrivrat
April 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
As if anybody needs it - my 2 cents :

I have only owned the Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. I found the gun to be a little crude, very accurate, pretty reliable, and a hoot to shoot. I also found it to be a bargin for the price I paid, and when the firing pin bent I found their customer service to be excellant. ( a new updated firing pin arrived with no charge three days after my phone call)

I have always found the pistols to be ugly and ill feeling in my hand. If however they function as well as the carbine (and I hear they do) they should be worth the money spent on them. If you can afford better - I'd say buy it. If you can't then I think you can still have a fairly reliable shooter for a lot less than most others sell for.

ezypikns
April 19, 2009, 12:41 AM
How in the world can that be a BAD thing? Oh, I see. They're not buying THE RIGHT SORT of gun. According to YOU. I guess some folks can find a dark lining in every cloud.

Good Lord.

By the way, the first centerfire handgun I ever purchased was a Hi Point. I DO have a little experience with at least one of them. It was accurate enough. Never a FTF. Ugly? Yes. But it launched me into a hobby I loved then and still do. I sold mine long ago and I did move on to more expensive and in some cases better firearms, but it got me started. For that I'm grateful to Hi Point.

RP88
April 19, 2009, 12:42 AM
only thing I have to say about Hi-point in this thread is that they are waaay uglier than a glock. But if it works like people say it does, then I don't have much else to say.

B yond
April 19, 2009, 01:20 AM
They're very reliable, easy to use guns. I see no problem with people buying them. You can't beat the price, or the warranty.

Don't hate them 'cus they're ugly. They get the job done.

Doodler
April 19, 2009, 10:48 AM
How in the world can that be a BAD thing? Oh, I see. They're not buying THE RIGHT SORT of gun. According to YOU. I guess some folks can find a dark lining in every cloud.

In my OP I was under the impression that they weren't reliable. I can see now that that the general consensus is they are. I would not want that many new first time gun owners buying anything unreliable, as it may turn them against the hobby and they may not see the true value for self defense.

Jeff F
April 19, 2009, 11:19 AM
I put three magazines through a .40 Hi Point a couple days ago. I had never handled a Hi Point before. It was big, ugly as a Glock but felt good in the hand. Very accurate and it did not malfunction. Thats about all I know about them. I probably would not buy one.

jahwarrior
April 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
the only reason i don't own a Hi Point now is that i only buy guns that i can carry. i had an older one my brother gave me, when they were made by Haskell, that i kept in my van. it was huge, ugly, heavy, but it spit .45ACP all day long. if they ever make them thin enough that i won't throw my back out carrying one, i'll be the first in line to get one.

BudW
April 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
My friends high points have been flawless, from what I have seen folks that bash them have never really shot one or they have a hang up because the y are not expensive.

akodo
April 19, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'd like to say that I am all for people buying cheap guns. I wish every new shooter could have an established shooter take them under their wing and steer them toward a well used revolver, or help them pick out any other used guns.

many new shooters are drawn to new because they don't have the knowledge of firearms to properly pick out a good one, and they fear that guns are like cars (they wear out relatively quickly, and a thousand problems could be hiding under the hood) Even the least well made car, when brand new, will run for 30,000 miles before developing a problem.

We of course know that a poorly made gun will have problems day one, and an old beater gun can run forever if it is well made and lubed up from time to time.

If anyone is to blame for new users choosing hi-points, it is US for not doing enough outreach.

Now, onto highpoint reliability. I never owned one, but I had a friend who owned one. It was junk and constantly failed to strip a round off the magazine.

However, I have another friend whose introductory gun was an accu-tek 380. You had to phyisally push up on the magazine to keep it in the gun, recoil would make it pop out.

Hi point is just one of many inexpensive handguns that aren't terribly well made.

However, the fact that hi points are flourishing is due to how secretive we gunners tend to be about our hobbies.

I am sure every hi point buyer you saw has a shooter in his circle of friends...the new buyer just doesn't know this.

At my place of work, there are people who are known to be car guys. Car ignorant folks have no problem identifying them, and there is no stigma attached to that hobby. Car ignorant folk have no problem asking the "Car Guys" about car problems or advice on what car to buy.

Our hobby is un-PC.

It should be just like the car guys...or the computer guys...or any other 'hobbiest' whose hobby gives him better knowledge of what is out there.

If you want to hate someone for all the trash hi-points being sold, hate the antigun media who made us pariahs.

chainsawmike
April 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
I like my "red headed step son".

gallo
April 19, 2009, 10:03 PM
All the bad things I've heard about High Point firearms are from people who don't own them. On the contrary, people who own one have nothing bad to say other than the guns are unsightly.

B yond
April 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
All the bad things I've heard about High Point firearms are from people who don't own them. On the contrary, people who own one have nothing bad to say other than the guns are unsightly.

...and heavy, and blocky, and big.

I still love them. :)

rfurtkamp
April 19, 2009, 10:12 PM
Now, onto highpoint reliability. I never owned one, but I had a friend who owned one. It was junk and constantly failed to strip a round off the magazine.

I own high-end guns. Pre-war S&W revolvers, Sigs, NFA stuff.

My first legal firearm was a Hi-Point. It worked 100%. I only traded it on a SKS at the time because I didn't have much money and the trade was the only way I'd make it happen.

When I worked at a shop, I sold dozens upon dozens, if not hundreds, of them. No one ever came back complaining they didn't work, and I saw many of the buyers come back for more ammo/magazines.

They're not pretty.

They're not amazing.

They go bang and hit what they're pointed at, and in the price range, if someone wants a new gun, there's literally no competition.

Everything else is pure junk in the price range.

dbarile
April 19, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hi point is just one of many inexpensive handguns that aren't terribly well made.

If there is some actual data showing this, I would like to see it. If it's just your opinion, I think you should say so up front.

B yond
April 19, 2009, 10:19 PM

They ARE well made. It would be financially stoopid to offer a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty on a product that was wasn't well made.

Hi-Point pistols are a quality AMERICAN-MADE firearm. They aren't target pistols, and they aren't good concealed carry pistols. There are better options if you can afford them. Hi-Points CAN BE RELIED UPON to serve their purpose in protecting your family until you can afford a better weapon. In their price range Hi-Point is the best choice unless you can find a great deal on a used gun.

dbarile
April 19, 2009, 10:20 PM

I've heard one owner report of this. I also heard the owner called Hi-Point and the problem was quickly fixed never to return. I believe he had a bad magazine.

Why is it that every Hi-Point horror story starts out with "I never owned one"?

jcwit
April 19, 2009, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE]Why is it that every Hi-Point horror story starts out with "I never owned one"?UOTE]

Very simple, they have no bragging rights and you can't impress your friends with one.
Other than that there good pistols

jcwit
April 19, 2009, 10:31 PM
opps

PT1911
April 19, 2009, 10:45 PM
I want a gun that feels good, aims well, shoots reliably, disassembles easily for cleaning, transfers recoil well, has a good weight to size ratio, and lastly.... looks good too..

Hi-points SOMETIMES fulfill one of those criteria.. that being shoots dependably.. that is about it.. they feel terrible, have more recoil than any gun of X caliber should, look terrible, are far too heavy for their size, aim worse than a Glock, and are ugly as sin, not to mention they are a pain in the ass to disassemble and clean...those are the obvious reasons why I will never own one... I would rather pay the money for a gun that fits my other criteria.... 1911's being a prime example but not the only example by any stretch.

dbarile
April 19, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hi-points SOMETIMES fulfill one of those criteria.. that being shoots dependably.. that is about it.. they feel terrible, have more recoil than any gun of X caliber should, look terrible, are far too heavy for their size, aim worse than a Glock, and are ugly as sin, not to mention they are a pain in the ass to disassemble and clean...those are the obvious reasons why I will never own one... I would rather pay the money for a gun that fits my other criteria.... 1911's being a prime example but not the only example by any stretch.

Aren't opinions wonderful?

BTW You said ugly twice. You must really hate them.

AllAmerican
April 19, 2009, 10:53 PM
I worked the gun show in Florence SC this weekend for Grass Roots Gun Rights in SC.

Both the guy I was working the both with and my BIL own Hi Points and love them. They actually carry them. Both C9's. I had a C9 as well. It went bang everytime I pulled the trigger.

Having said all that, I went into the show after I worked the booth and I looked at some of the Carbines from HP.

They looked used up. I was disappointed. I know the stock and all is ugly but even the ones I saw with the ATI stocls on them had metal parts that looked old. These were new guns too.

I was looking to spend some money and a carbine from HP with the ATI stock would have won me over if the metal hadnt looked used up.

I even said to my BIL that they were used and he said no they were new. Then the booth guy said they were new.

I have no problem with the function of a HP firearm but man they are freakin ugly as sin.

PT1911
April 19, 2009, 10:54 PM
BTW You said ugly twice. You must really hate them.

nope..I dont hate any guns..... they are just that ugly...

akodo
April 20, 2009, 12:26 AM
I've heard one owner report of this. I also heard the owner called Hi-Point and the problem was quickly fixed never to return. I believe he had a bad magazine.

Why is it that every Hi-Point horror story starts out with "I never owned one"?

So, having access to one, seeing it shot many times, shooting it some, field stripping it, trying to get it to work, this is all NOT informative just because I am not the owner?

B.S. I have first hand knowledge, hands on knowledge.

As for the Hi Point warranty, I think a lot of people balk at the price of sending the gun off. Yes, in theory it is fixed for free, but in practice it is 'fixed' for $40

when you consider the 'resale' value of a slightly used Hi Point, that $40 is a lot.

starshooter231
April 20, 2009, 12:57 AM
As a former Hi-Point owner. I wish I still had them. My buddy & I used them for our cpl training. I will admit they are UGLY but they are reliable, accurate, and affordable. If the shortage of 9mm ammo is because the number of gun owners has increased due to the sale of Hi-Points good. More gun owners mean more people to support our cause.

BhmBill
April 20, 2009, 01:41 AM
when you consider the 'resale' value of a slightly used...

You consider the resale value of a gun when purchasing?

Doodler
April 20, 2009, 02:08 AM
You consider the resale value of a gun when purchasing?
You don't?

BhmBill
April 20, 2009, 02:30 AM
You don't?

No?

I'm not a dealer. I buy guns to fit my needs at the time i buy them and in the future, not how much I might be able to get for it at a later time. I research cost vs effectiveness beforehand

dbarile
April 20, 2009, 10:34 AM
So, having access to one, seeing it shot many times, shooting it some, field stripping it, trying to get it to work, this is all NOT informative just because I am not the owner?

B.S. I have first hand knowledge, hands on knowledge.

B.S. You have anecdotal knowledge. Knowledge of one gun per your post and no 'data' to back up your claim that all Hi-Points in general are not well made.

I hope you can see the difference between your (or any one eles') limited experiences and actual data. Your experience with one gun does equate to data. It means that you have an opinion, and you are welcome to it. It is no more, or less, valid than any other opinion, but should not be passed off as fact.

offthepaper
April 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
I've been considering a 995 carbine H-P lately as a HD gun when I'm not home. The GF was able to shoot one at the range a few months ago (another club member let her shoot his) and was much handier with it than any of my handguns. She drilled the target pretty well and really didn't care about the funky looks of it. Her quote driving home was "after I was able to actually hit the target every time with it, the looks took a back seat". She even went on to talk about a possible sceanario where she would hear the break-in, call 911, and take a defensive position in the bedroom with the HP pointed at the door, she said she would feel more confident with pointing the HP at the door than one of my handguns (:eek::banghead:).

Just goes to show, everyone likes what they like.

Owen Sparks
April 20, 2009, 01:58 PM
My father-in-law went out and bought his first handgun. It was a Highpoint 9mm. I was pretty well disgusted at first but after several boxes of ammo without a problem, I realized that for a non-shooter it was reliable enough to beat the alternative which was no gun at all.
I doubt he will ever shoot it unless someone breaks in.

Eric F
April 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
dbarileI hope you can see the difference between your (or any one eles') limited experiences and actual data. Your experience with one gun does equate to data. It means that you have an opinion, and you are welcome to it. It is no more, or less, valid than any other opinion, but should not be passed off as fact.
so you want to hear from a guy that owned one and had problems.......well I didnt own one I had several!I have seen a bunch I have owned 6.
3 jamed every other round throught was burred really bad.
1 broke out right after 2 shots the trigger broke and was limp you could move it back and forth freely.
the mag realeas on one other one would not release the mag any more after 100 rounds.
and the sixth one worked.

I got dog'ed out in the other thread for what I said but I stand by it any way. Hipoint is junk 1 out of six guns worked they were all mine I kept taking them back for returns and kept getting another about to brake gun back did you see this 1 out of 6 worked

I therefore can not recomend one nor will ever own another infact the one I had got turned in on a police gun buy for a $50 walmart card money better spent.
Junk junk and junk you get what you pay for here I hate them and the folks that came up with them.

And for people that dont have money(in relation to the other thread) neither did I at the time so I saved for 8 months to get a quality 1911 see this againI saved for 8 months thats how you afford a gun.......rant off....sorry now other hi-point threads asked for actual experience with problems.....well here is my quote from a way older thread. Some one asked for actual data I gave them this and then I was called a liar........well here you have it. I hope you dont go down that road too.
I will also say I had these problems in the companies early early days, I understand that the quality control has gone up but I will still not look at another one just because of the past problems!
oh yeah IBTL!

TEDDY
April 20, 2009, 09:19 PM
I believe there are three companies making Hi points.I have a C9,very reliable and quite accurate.I dont take it apart,it can be cleaned by other means.its heavy because it needs weight to handle the power,they are blow backs.and they make very good house guns.I got mine wholesale.$79.I have just read some threads on another site about S&W.sending back several times and not fixed do I say S&W is junk no.I have several,also 1911.I have seen 1911 colts that would not function out of box.you all have been spoild rotten as My first guns were IVERS H&R and such as red head, blue bird,XL, and other seldom seen now.I have a S&W 52,they are prone to jam and are no longer made.
hi point bash is like the dillon people that bash any othe press.:rolleyes::uhoh:

jcwit
April 20, 2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with you Teddy but just where did you learn sentence structure and typing?
Makes it hard to read with no space at sentences, or maybe I'm just old.

Doodler
April 20, 2009, 10:27 PM
I agree with you Teddy but just where did you learn sentence structure and typing?
Since when is it "High Road" to personally attack someone in this manner? Did you understand what he said? Then leave it at that, Okay? We can't all be professional editors and novelists, or english majors. Heck 95% of todays high school grads couldn't do that well.

jcwit
April 20, 2009, 11:08 PM
Since when is it "High Road" for you to attack me in this manner.
Yes I realize the Public School system is very lacking, its obvious.
Guess I'm in the top 5%, guy.

dbarile
April 20, 2009, 11:10 PM
so you want to hear from a guy that owned one and had problems.......well I didnt own one I had several!

No. I know plenty of people who have Hi-Points. I have Hi-Points. The board is full of people with Hi-Point experiences. People are free to draw their own conclusions from your experiences/opinions. It isn't data.

And I hope you will notice that I didn't call you a liar. I haven't called anyone here a liar. I accept your experiences as true. But they are your experiences. Shouldn't I also accept everyone else's experiences with theirs Hi-Points? If I were a gun buyer, would I give your experiences more weight than other owners who report no problems?

You yourself said they were early guns. Do you know that what's being sold now is the same?

I have an issue with people painting Hi-Points as hand grenades when there seems to be a lot of people who actually shoot Hi-Points that have had no problems with them.

Eric F
April 21, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yes I understand you are not calling me a liar, I was just commenting on the normal responce to my experience. The guns sold now might look the same but they are not the same as the early guns. They now use better material which to me makes them a diffrent gun.I have an issue with people painting Hi-Points as hand grenades when there seems to be a lot of people who actually shoot Hi-Points that have had no problems with them.
first impressions are everything so the saying goes. Yugos are good cars but due to "cheap" materials they got a bad rap and were frowned upon. Any way the guns probably do work just fine now with as many problems as any other bulk manufacturer like s&w. But keep in ming many folks buy guns and they either dont shoot much or at all. So many many of the early guns are still out there waiting to be sold and waiting to break.

jackstinson
April 21, 2009, 07:47 AM
As the folks who own Hi-Points have already said: They go bang reliably. Like many inexpensive firearms, they usually get badmouthed by people who have never owned one.
Nothing wrong with someone buying what they can afford. We should be happy that there are inexpensive guns out there which are safe, reliable, and have a good company standing behind them!
While I own many more expensive and lovelier hand guns, my C9 has never failed to fire and has digested anything I put in the magazine. Cheap thrills.
Interesting that Taurus and Beretta were mentioned. While I own a few Beretta and Taurus handguns (and love them), I've heard far more horror stories on their quality and service lack than of Hi-Point's.

chuckusaret
April 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
A Hi-Point is better than nothing for SD/HD. Food for thought, if a weapon is used in SD/HD situation it will most likely be confiscated. I'd rather loose a Hi-Point than a Kimber.

DHJenkins
April 21, 2009, 09:16 AM
Think about it. Someone who doesn't know a Smith & Wesson from a Smithfield ham is only going to have one concern - price. They're going to think to themselves "Why should I pay $500 for a 9mm when I can get one for $150? They're both shoot bullets."

I'm sure plenty of people on this board have done the same thing; whether it was a cheap stereo or pair of boots - you didn't know better, so you ended up with crap.

c5_nc
April 21, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure how it would cost you $40 to ship a gun back to the manufactor. USPS allows individuals to ship guns back, a hi-point handgun will fit in a $4.80 flat rate priority box (the smallest box). I guess a carbine would need a bigger box and maybe cost $12 or so. Most states allow you to recieve your handgun back direct to your door from the manufactor.

I have multiple Hi-points, pistols in 380 and 9mm and carbines in 9mm. Also have many much more expensive guns. Non of hi-points have ever had issues. Promags do not work well in the carbines, but that is a problem with a aftermarket mag design, not the hi-point. I like the little 380 and 9mm pistols, they are compact the grip is about the perfect size. They are top heavy but its nice at range (b/c of less recoil). I bought the 380s earlier this year when Buds had them for $99. I have not been able to use them much b/c 380 ammo is so difficult to find. My 9mms get a lot action. The 40 and 45 are really ugly.... I have not be able to talk myself in picking up one yet. The Carbines and magazines made by hipoint have a "ugly" blueing job as other mentioned. I wish someone made hi capacity mags for the carbine that were reliable. As far as function and warrantee, top knotch.

Doodler
April 21, 2009, 10:28 AM
Thanx for all the input guys. I have decided not to buy one. I am convinced that they work, but as long as I can still afford to feed my addiction with the "good stuff", I think I will. Maybe when I'm down and in the dumps and broke.........

dbarile
April 21, 2009, 10:35 AM
But keep in ming many folks buy guns and they either dont shoot much or at all. So many many of the early guns are still out there waiting to be sold and waiting to break.

Plays theme from Jaws movie.

I believe we were discussing new guns bought by newbies at the dealer. I've not sure I've seen a Hi-Point for sale that wasn't so close to the original price that I would buy it. Resale value is probably a whole other argument.

Eric F
April 21, 2009, 11:03 AM
I believe we were discussing new guns bought by newbies at the dealer. Funny you should mention that, Ron Hess in Norfolk va has one from way back in the day, His price on it $299..........if he has done it I am sure Some one has one new on the shelf from back then too. BTW his prices are set to avoid the folks that dont have money........I will leave that reasoning up in the air, but remember this is in Norfolk VA. Either way for $160 new I would rather draw that cash and save another $100 up and buy a good used eaa, police issue smith, or anything else, a new gun with a warentee is ok I guess and I can understand the reasoning that"I cant save money up" but so far the only reason I can see for buying one and this is a great point!Food for thought, if a weapon is used in SD/HD situation it will most likely be confiscated. I'd rather loose a Hi-Point than a Kimber. Also as far as I know no one makes a good holster for a hi point do they?

dbarile
April 21, 2009, 11:23 AM
Funny you should mention that, Ron Hess in Norfolk va has one from way back in the day, His price on it $299

A funny argument. NOS Hi-Points for $300.00. And your point is? I thought the problem was that Hi-Points were too cheap and too shabbily made. Perhaps he believes it is a collectible.

Yes. Every one who buys a $260 used gun will always get more for their money than a NIB $160 Hi-Point. Right.

Eric F
April 21, 2009, 12:23 PM
I thought the problem was that Hi-Points were too cheap and too shabbily made. you are right they were. at one point in time. My point is that because they were at one time a poor weapon that scourage will for ever follow them.

dbarile
April 21, 2009, 12:59 PM
they were

As in used to be, but not now? So now they're OK? Like many people have already said?

that scourage will for ever follow them

Pity poor Ruger then. That LCP thing will have them bankrupt. Please, Ruger fans, don't attack me.

Duke of Doubt
April 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
chuckusaret: "Food for thought, if a weapon is used in SD/HD situation it will most likely be confiscated. I'd rather loose a Hi-Point than a Kimber."

That depends on the situation. Around here even if it gets taken into evidence, you get it back -- assuming you aren't convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor crime of domestic correction. Often the gun isn't taken at all. I admit that isn't exactly a universal thing, but I'm continually surprised that more people don't get to know their police and their policies/procedures in advance of a SD shoot. How can you stand not knowing what might happen? It must agonize the potential defender.

okespe04
April 21, 2009, 01:11 PM
Congrats to all the first time gun buyers.

AirplaneDoc
April 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
I can't imagine the quality has improved. My Neighbor gave me his to take to the range NIB (He never fired it) It failed to strip the last round from the clip every time. I put 2 boxes through it and never could get it to empty a full clip completely with out fail.

First couple of times I thought it just might be a break in issue, dried lube etc. I even tried it with different clips, with the same problem.

I would be very dissapointed if this was my first firearm purchase. ( I was dissapointed anyway) Glad the POS is not mine.

Hoot Gibson
April 21, 2009, 01:16 PM
Which is more pathetic, the Hi Point Haters or the Taurus Haters?

Relax guys....just because you paid way to much for your ego gun, not everybody is so inclined.

Hi Point...cheap but not anymore dangerous that an expensive S&W or a mid priced Taurus in the wrong hands(and I have at least 1 of all 3).

jcwit
April 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well have your neighbor contact Hi-Point and they will fix the problem, for free.

Duke of Doubt
April 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hoot Gibson: "Which is more pathetic, the Hi Point Haters or the Taurus Haters?"

We don't hate them. We just appreciate the difference between a Mercedes and a Kia. Both have four wheels, both generally will get you where you need to go. But they aren't the same. I actually play devil's advocate for Hi Point sometimes when I think people go too far running them down. And I used to own two Taurus revolvers. They were cheap substitutes for high quality firearms like the Smith & Wessons and Colts I now own.

rbernie
April 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
Food for thought, if a weapon is used in SD/HD situation it will most likely be confiscated. I'd rather loose a Hi-Point than a Kimber."I'd rather use a weapon that I knew was going to work 100% of the time, and not worry about how much it cost to buy or replace. My life is priceless to me.

Now, that weapon may or may not be a Kimber or a HiPoint. I have no dog in that fight.

But nobody should buy a self-defense weapon with the express intent of throwing it away. That kinda defeats the point of it - no?

Hoot Gibson
April 21, 2009, 01:31 PM
No, some folks just hate them. A sort of perverse "penis envy" that they paid way too much for their weapon of chose and it kills no better than the cheap gun the neighbor owns.

As for me...my favorite .38 is my 5" S&W but the one I use for self defense/and home protection is the Taurus Ultra Lite 2"...much easier to carry and grab out of the night stand if needed. And damn, one was is a lot "cheaper" than the other, but has never had a misfire.

One man's KIA is another's Buick Delux.

Eric F
April 21, 2009, 02:50 PM
dbarile As in used to be, but not now? So now they're OK? Like many people have already said?
Buddy I dont know where your anger comes from We are in agreence. You are repeating what I already said.......whats your program?
As far as the arguement about loosing your gun in a defense situation. I guess I would rather have a $2000 STI 1911 work so I can live verses a $160 (well you name the gun) that didnt.

No, some folks just hate them. A sort of perverse "penis envy" that they paid way too much for their weapon of chose and it kills no better than the cheap gun the neighbor owns.
Why are we now knocking folks that have high dollar guns? No one really knocks a fellow that buys a gun rather they knock the gun its self. Lets keep things civil.

I built my gun from a $289 new 38 super rock island, yeah it cost money for the upgrades but I sunk that in gradually I stlii have less than a new kimber or para in it and its just as reliable infact just past 15k last week for round count. So if I can afford a better gun dont hate me. Just like I dont hate some one that buys a $2000 custom built 1911 for a carry gun. Nor will I hate a person for buying a hipoint, but I will hate the gun only because of my past experience.

I wonder how J D Power and associets would rate a hi point?

dbarile
April 21, 2009, 03:30 PM
Buddy I dont know where your anger comes from We are in agreence.

No anger here, none at all. We just have a disagreement about a certain brand. But I promise not to say another word about it.

Have a good day.

AirplaneDoc
April 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
Just to Clarify

I went into this thing unbiased. I don't really care if the thing cost $10 or $10,000.

I was at the FFL to pick up somthing I purchased, and he showed me a Hi-point he had in his safe for sale. My neighbor was looking for one and had been really talking them up, so I told him about seeing one at my FFL. He went inside and called and bought the gun that night. A week later I stopped by to see if my neighbor was interested in running out to the range for the afternoon. He couldn't but ask if I wanted to take his Hi-point and check it out for him. So he went in and got it. I stopped to pick up a couple of boxes of Win 9mm on the way to the range.

As I said it failed to strip the last round from the clip each time. That equates to a 12.5% failure rate. If it had been a new Colt, Springfield, HK, Glock, Tarus, Kimber (insert any manufacturer) I would be just as turned off.

So in my experience with a Hi-Point, I feel my assessment is fair. Maybe you had better luck with them, I however didn't.

AD

jcwit
April 21, 2009, 03:54 PM
I see where you're coming from but all I'm saying give the mfg. a chance to fix it.

I bought a new Camero that needed a new carb. with less than 10 miles on it. GM fixed it no charge, and I've bought new GM's many times since then.

Mayhaps it was just a flub-dub. But yes I can see how you would feel.

Eric F
April 22, 2009, 10:36 AM
its just a bad mag IMO

jart
April 22, 2009, 06:28 PM
It was a HI Point that broke the ice for me and my wife to get our CC. It was worth the $150 to discover that shooting is FUN! We now consider it a brick to throw when our other guns are out of ammo.

chuckusaret
April 22, 2009, 06:41 PM
I had a Hi Point CF 380 and it went bang everytime I pulled the trigger. I paid a whopping $110 for it NIB. Swapped it off for a sawed off 12 ga SS shotgun

sarduy
April 23, 2009, 05:26 AM
That's funny,I've never heard anything BAD about HiPoints...

At least not from anybody that owns one...

+1 That's right

EHL
April 23, 2009, 05:37 AM
again, for all the vitues that the defenders of Hi Points constantly sing about, it cannot be stated and stressed enough that they are indeed UGLY!:barf:

earlthegoat2
April 23, 2009, 07:13 AM
At least they all bought a gun that wont malfunction and has a lifetime transferrable warranty. They arent good for carry but they are good for fun.

jdub102003
April 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
I've often wonder about purchasing a highpoint 9mm or a jimenez 9mm not for the nightstand but for a gun you can throw in your toolbox or even let a friend borrow it for a trip to a range....I kind of stuck between what i want to do maybe 1 day i will just impulse buy 1....How would either of the 2 mentioned above be combared to a feg-pa63 or a astra a100?

Eric F
April 23, 2009, 02:10 PM
At least they all bought a gun that wont malfunction and has a lifetime transferrable warranty if it wouldnt malfunction then there would be no need for a transferable life time warranty:banghead:

jcwit
April 23, 2009, 09:43 PM
A transferable life time warranty would seem to me that the mfg. thinks very highly of his product. If the warranty would have to be used for most of the products thay mfg. they would be out of business very quickly.

If you remember the YUGO didn't come with a transferrable life time warranty.

Upstate Gun Man
April 25, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thx for all the replies. I own several different 9mm's some good some bad , some cheap, some expensive. I have changed my mind again. I will keep the high point, It FIRES without exploding. Yes, it is cheap but if confiscated what have I lost. I will keep good guns in safe. Still will look for a 40 cal. its the only cal I do not own...

Upstate Gun Man
April 25, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am happy to hear that high point makes a 40 cal. This might be something to look for at the show tom. I am interested in trying out a 40. For the price this could be the way to go. Thanks again for all the replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Point at gun show" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!