FN- Fal/Value?

PDA

ferretray
April 18, 2009, 08:39 PM
A friend of mine has the opportunity to buy a nice 70's production Belgian FN FAL in 7.62. Has wood buttstock and forearm, black grip. Very low round count, no dings, etc.,.
This rifle has the R, S and A markings on the left side of the receiver but IS NOT full auto.
What would you fine folks say would be a fair price?
Thanks, Ray
Edited the post, my apologies for the FA content.

If you enjoyed reading about "FN- Fal/Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grey Morel
April 18, 2009, 08:45 PM
Oh my land... Assuming registered Pre-86 status, its worth $15,000 at least. No thats not a typo: 15K+

Avenger29
April 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
Even though not full auto...that's still worth a chunk of change...I don't know how much, though.

Sounds like a beautiful rifle.

Cannonball888
April 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
$2,000-4,000 for a preban Fabrique Nationale FAL

Travis Bickle
April 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
Oh my land... Assuming registered Pre-86 status, its worth $15,000 at least. No thats not a typo: 15K+

Sounds like it might be a G-Series FAL. If it is, it doesn't have to be registered and is worth beaucoup bucks. The G-Series FALs are cut for auto sears, but because of some technicality, they're not considered full-auto.

ferretray
April 19, 2009, 12:15 AM
The rifle has the markings "S", "R" and "A". The selector will move to the "A" location but the rifle fires semi-auto only.

Sunray
April 19, 2009, 12:57 AM
"..."S", "R" and "A"..." That means Single(shot), Repeat(semi), Automatic(fa). It's an evil, semi'd, and real, FAL. Your ATF law by regulation says once an MG, always an MG. Like Grey Morel says, it had to have been registered as an MG prior to 1986. The $200 transfer tax applies as do local Class 3 laws.
"...my apologies for the FA content..." No need. We all know it's just a rifle. A dandy rifle too. They're not made for great accuracy, but FAL's are great fun to shoot. Little felt recoil unless the butt stock is too short for you. Thumps you on the cheek bone, if the stock isn't the right length. A Canadian C1A1 is/was pretty much the same rifle. C1A1's were semi-auto only.

Travis Bickle
April 19, 2009, 01:00 AM
Like Grey Morel says, it had to have been registered as an MG prior to 1986. The $200 transfer tax applies as do local Class 3 laws.

Not necessarily. There was a run of FALs like that that are exempt from the NFA because of some quirk in the law. They're called "G-series" FALs because all the serial numbers start with "G."

Kenneth Lew
April 19, 2009, 03:02 AM
Supposedly only 1,848 G Series Fals are exempt from the provisions of the NFA. If the FAL does not have the following serial numbers in the referenced link, then the rifle is not legal.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter82.txt

Kenneth Lew

jonnyc
April 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
BTW the S is for SAFE, not single-shot.

ferretray
April 19, 2009, 08:45 AM
Its a little odd. No prefix, just a four digit serial number,

TexasRifleman
April 19, 2009, 09:52 AM
"..."S", "R" and "A"..." That means Single(shot), Repeat(semi), Automatic(fa). It's an evil, semi'd, and real, FAL.

Not necessarily. I've got a DSA FAL that has all three settings. It's simply cosmetic.

I've seen a few FALs with the auto setting added for an authentic look, it may not necessarily have been imported that way.

Since this one doesn't appear to be a real G series, it's possible it's been modified at some point as well. Or it's completely illegal, that's possible too :)

Badlander
April 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
Go to www. falfiles.com. The boys over there will have the answers you seek!

UhKlem
April 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
It's not illegal unless the upper receiver is cut for the safety (FA) sear. The selector by itself doesn't tell one anything, although I think it is bad form to have a FA selector on a semi-auto rifle as many uninformed officers won't know it's NOT an illegal MG. You can get semi-auto selectors with a stop from DSA and some grips stop the selector from the third position. You might find pics of the difference in receivers on FALfiles. To be legal, searcut receivers need to be either a G-series, pre-86 registered as an MG , or a post '86 dealer sample registered MG.

As to market value, actual sales of FALs have lately been far below book value as 7.62 NATO ammo is so expensive people seem to be less attracted then a few years back when ammo was cheap. Magazines are still cheap and abundant and DSA has parts and accessories in their catalog, although availability is spotty on may items catalogued.

Grey Morel
April 19, 2009, 11:03 AM
My appoligies gentlemen. Somehow I had it in my mind that this was an automatic rifle. :)

Kenneth Lew
April 19, 2009, 12:50 PM
As to market value, actual sales of FALs have lately been far below book value as 7.62 NATO ammo is so expensive people seem to be less attracted then a few years back when ammo was cheap. Magazines are still cheap and abundant and DSA has parts and accessories in their catalog, although availability is spotty on may items catalogued.

Published gun values have been worthless in the past. Gun values vary due to regional demand. In my area, .308 rifles fly off the shelves.

ferretray
April 19, 2009, 01:33 PM
Grey Morel, No apology necessary. My original post mentioned the unusual fire control group with its "A" position and the fact that the slector lever could be moved to that position. I edited that post after your response. Thanks, Ray

If you enjoyed reading about "FN- Fal/Value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!