AR-10 Lower using G3 Magazines. Anyone know about these things?

PDA

TexasRifleman
April 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
My biggest complaint with the AR-10 has been magazine cost. At $40+ each the rifle system prices itself out of reality fairly quickly if someone wants to have a good stock of magazines available.

I saw this advertised at CMMG however:

CMMG is proud to offer our new .308 G3 mag compatible semi-auto lower. Upper is compatible with DPMS .308 upper receivers with minor modification to upper receiver to allow for clearance of wider G3 magazine. With new mags available $3-5, this is a combo that cannot be beat. Lower is compatible with most popular aftermarket triggers currently on the market. We are accepting pre-orders.

Anyone know anything about this? What modifications are needed to the upper?

Seems like the perfect solution, surplus G3 magazines are 3 bucks each.

Is CMMG the only company making something like this?
Anyone have availability dates etc?

Thanks for any info.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 Lower using G3 Magazines. Anyone know about these things?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grey Morel
April 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
E-mail them. They have always answered my questions in a timely manner. :)

TexasRifleman
April 19, 2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah I sent them an email, I just wondered if this CMMG product was the only attempt at doing this or if there were others already on the market.

When I hear back from them I'll post the info.

TIMC
April 19, 2009, 03:07 PM
The Bushmaster AR-10 uses FAL mags. I bought a bunch of them brand new for $8 a piece. I don't know why they discontinued the line, I love mine. I guess because the gun was more expensive than the Armalite AR-10. There were some rumers of feeding problems and guns blowing up, all I can say is mine has been perfect. I have a buddy that has one too and his has been great also.

Here is one for sale, kind of high but I guess that is the way things are now...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127087220

Deer Hunter
April 19, 2009, 03:36 PM
Bushmaster made an AR-10 that used FAL mags?

Dear lord, now I want one. Too bad I find out after they stopped producing them.

Quiet
April 19, 2009, 05:23 PM
The Rock River Arms LAR-8 (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=254) also uses FAL mags (metric & inch pattern).

In regards to the CMMG G3 AR lower, last I heard they were still working out the bugs and it is still not available. The upper reciever has to be machined to accept the G3 mags.

Deer Hunter
April 19, 2009, 05:33 PM
Quiet, you are going to make me homeless. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-10 Lower using G3 Magazines. Anyone know about these things?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!