What Small Pistol Primers Are Best?

PDA

816ronp
April 19, 2009, 02:55 PM
So far I have only used CCI-500 primmers. Been having problems lately finding them. Found a source for Federal Small Pistol Primmers and they are cheaper. What do you guys think of federal? My Lee primer tool says to avoid Federal. What are some of your favorite primmers and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "What Small Pistol Primers Are Best?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lesterg3
April 19, 2009, 03:01 PM
I like Winchester, but in today's market I buy anything I can get my hands on.

Walkalong
April 19, 2009, 03:10 PM
They all work fine. I have CCI, Federal, and Winchester on the shelf right now.

Deer Hunter
April 19, 2009, 03:24 PM
I like Wolf. Cheap and works well.

Smokey Joe
April 19, 2009, 03:49 PM
I reload for my bullseye competitive shooting. Use a .357 Mag loaded to .38 Spl levels, with 148 grain double-ended wadcutter bullets.

Have experimented extensively with different brands of primer for doing this loading. Have not seen any discernible difference in accuracy, performance, cleanliness of burning, recoil, or any other factor, when brand of primers is change.

Brands of primer used: Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI. Have a box of Magtech primers on my bench that I've not opened yet--expect the results with them to be the same.

Now, these are low-pressure target loads to be sure. OTOH, because they are target loads, the results when using them are scrutinized thoroughly.

With higher-pressure loads there might be more of a difference.

Bottom line: With my target loads, it doesn't matter what brand of primers I use. The results are all the same.

YMMV

Ben Shepherd
April 19, 2009, 03:54 PM
I use federals almost exclusively, and have been very satisfied with their preformance.

The reason your tool says to avoid them has to do with them being fairly soft. If one seats them with gusto, they could detonate.

With that in mind, I have loaded litterally a few hundred thousand of them on a dillon 650 with no issues at all. But I also may run my machine with less speed and more care than most folks do, as I usually run about 600 rounds per hour rather than the 800-1000 per hour that it's supposedly capable of. If I wanted to load fast and sloppy, I have no doubt I could hit 800 per hour easily.

EHL
April 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
Ignore that little swipe at Federal that Richard Lee put in his book and his instructions. I've used Winchester, Federal, and CCI for thousands and thousands of rounds and I've never had one issue. There was another thread a while ago about this same "warning" from LEE. Total BS about Federal making primers likely to go boom while reloading.

sig2009
April 19, 2009, 04:21 PM
The cheapest!!!!

Landric
April 19, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've used CCI, Federal, Remington, and Winchester. I have a bunch of Wolf I got recently, but I haven't tried them yet. I expect them to be just as good.

My preference is for CCI, Federal, or Winchester all things being equal. However, I generally just buy whatever is available, and if more than one kind is available I buy the cheapest.

pbratton
April 19, 2009, 10:14 PM
Nowadays, any brand you can get your hands on are the best.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
April 20, 2009, 12:20 AM
Nowadays, any brand you can get your hands on are the best.

I do tend to stay way from Remington primers though. Not to say that I won't buy them, I would, and then use them as trading stock.

I've been shooting Federals, Winchesters and CCI's for years. CCI's are known for being the hardest, and Federals are known for being the tightest to get into a primer pocket. Many progressive reloaders shy away from the Fed's.

-Steve

Yo2slick
April 20, 2009, 12:27 AM
Ignore that little swipe at Federal that Richard Lee put in his book and his instructions. I've used Winchester, Federal, and CCI for thousands and thousands of rounds and I've never had one issue. There was another thread a while ago about this same "warning" from LEE. Total BS about Federal making primers likely to go boom while reloading.

Kinnda funny that other people have had problems with Federal primers but that must not be true because Richard Lee has poisoned their minds. I wont use Federal primers because I believe them to have softer cups and not just because Richard Lee told me.

ArchAngelCD
April 20, 2009, 12:29 AM
I used CCI primers for many years. I'm currently using Winchester primers.

I've used Winchester, Federal, Remington, Magtech, CCI and Wolf primers, all went bang every time. Like I said, I prefer Winchester but like said above, use what you can get these days...

Otto
April 20, 2009, 02:48 AM
Federals shouldn't be used in progressives like Dillon and Hornady.

Walkalong
April 20, 2009, 08:55 AM
Millions of Federal primers have been loaded in progressives. Jeeez.....

The Bushmaster
April 20, 2009, 09:12 AM
What ever I can find at today's [reasonable?] prices.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
April 20, 2009, 12:14 PM
Federals shouldn't be used in progressives like Dillon

I can't tell you how many thousands of Federal primers have gone through my Dillon 450 and my Lee Auto-Prime. Never once had an issue.
Speer Nickel brass and Federals running through a Star reloader isn't the best of combinations though. Never a K'boom, just a primer that won't seat once in a while. Slightly large primers and tight pockets don't mix.

-Steve

Redneck with a 40
April 20, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm sitting on 2 cases of wolf primers, they work great and the price is right. If I could find some large rifle wolf primers, I'd buy a case.

D. Manley
April 20, 2009, 11:20 PM

I think that warning caveat from Richard Lee has taken root. ;)

Federal is my 1st choice followed by Winchester and Wolf.

gunnerh
April 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have using Mag-tech for about 5000 rounds of 9mm and 45acp now with good results now. I am looking for 5000 each more small and large pistol.

zxcvbob
April 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
Federals are my favorite. Wolf is very good. Avoid Remingtons unless you have a lot of RP brass (they are too tight in other brands )

Basically, anything you can get right now.

ArchAngelCD
April 21, 2009, 01:01 AM
I am looking for 5000 each more small and large pistol.
You and about a Million other reloaders!! LOL

MasterReloader
May 12, 2009, 06:42 PM
Federal!!!!

Gryffydd
May 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
I shoot Federals in my GP-100. My lightened springs like them better. In everything else I shoot CCI. I've had good luck with Winchesters as well.

Ol` Joe
May 12, 2009, 07:05 PM
Federal primers are not "softer" then other Brands.
They use a different compound then Winchester, CCI, ect that is more "sensitive" to impact and pressure then other brands. They also use a different packaging to help prevent mass ignition during transit because of this.
There is a valid reason behind Lees warning. I don`t believe it means we shouldn`t use them, just that we should be aware of the make-up of them and exercise due care when useing. I have been a big fan of Federal small rifle match, and LP primers for years, and have never had a problem with them. And yes, I use a Lee hand tool to seat them.

Gryffydd
May 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
There is a valid reason behind Lees warning.
Agreed. That's why I use them in my GP-100. But at the same time, I use them in my Lee Loadmaster and my Lee hand press. I've completely crushed several of them with the Loadmaster...no kabooms. They don't seem to react to slow pressure any differently than other brands.

alfack
May 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
Like in the movie "Meatballs," "it just doesn't matter." I can't tell a difference with any of them and I have used all of them mentioned, except Wolf. The only thing I don't like about Federal is the packaging. Fer cryin' out loud Federal, make a package that you can pour into your flip tray w/o spilling and don't need special pick tools to bend the cardboard flaps up to open.

lgbloader
May 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
"it just doesn't matter."

Bill Murray at his best ;)

LGB

Otto
May 12, 2009, 11:05 PM

So what? That doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't use them.

alfack
May 12, 2009, 11:48 PM
So what? That doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't use them.

I have to call BS on this. Who says you shouldn't use them in progressives and why?

If it were true, in this CYA society we live in, there would be a big warning on the box.

Otto
May 13, 2009, 01:08 AM
Federal warns not to use their primers with feed tubes, that warning is printed on every box of primers they sell.
You can choose to follow the manufacturer's warnings or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Leander/IMG_0797.jpg

Gryffydd
May 13, 2009, 01:37 AM
Funny how none of Lee's products use tubes...

ants
May 13, 2009, 01:50 AM
The only safe primers you can use are Fiocchi.

All others are extremely dangerous, and you shall avoid them completely.

All others will explode spontaneously and cause great harm.

Go out there and buy Fiocchi exclusively.

(There, that should keep them busy for a few years looking for Fiocchi, and take demand off the primers I need. Gee, I didn't think it would be so easy.:p)

Smokey Joe
May 13, 2009, 11:38 AM
is the gol-durn huge packages!!! Gotta agree w/Alfack:Fer cryin' out loud Federal, make a package that you can pour into your flip tray w/o spilling and don't need special pick tools to bend the cardboard flaps up to open.Before the current primer shortage, I decided that I'd not buy any more Federal primers until they quit using up such gobs of my shelf space and use primer trays a body can pour into the case priming device. (BTW, Federal--your big primer trays encourage the dropping of primers onto the floor, to be lost and subsequently stepped on--BANG!!--now whaddya think of that, Federal?? Nice and safe, huh, Federal?) Now with the shortage, mebbe, just mebbe, I'd buy some Federals, but if 2 brands of what I want are available, and one of them is Federals, I'll still buy the other.

apachejack
May 13, 2009, 11:54 AM
I have never had any problems with any primer except winchester. I had a few that would not fire but I think that was just a bad batch. I called winchester and they were very cooperative in helping me with a certificate for another 200 rounds even though just four or five didn't go off. They got the batch # and did the right thing with me. Of course that was 1981 when this happened. Since then I haven't had a problem with any of the primers I use and I use anything I can get.

alfack
May 13, 2009, 02:05 PM
Ha! Guess I should have read the box first, lol :o. This warning will not prevent me from using them in a tube, though. I don't believe there is any magical property that makes them more dangerous than other brands of primers. Maybe they had a suit filed against them by someone who did something stupid and happened to be using a tube?

1SOW
May 13, 2009, 11:23 PM
If you want to lighten the main/hammer spring as much as possible, Federal sp primers will ignite with very light hits.
My CZ's light springs won't reliably fire a CCI or Win primer, but it fires Federals without fail.

don
May 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
Federal primers seem to crater worse than others I have used. Powder, bullets and brass all the same. The only difference being primers. Federal cratered worse than others I have used.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Small Pistol Primers Are Best?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!