.22 magnum for coyotes?

PDA

Guvnor
April 19, 2009, 06:02 PM
What are everyones thoughts on hunting coyote using the .22 magnum? Ive read some conflicting opinions, but haven't heard many first hand experiences.

Would something like a 40 grain soft point have to power to humanely take down a coyote with a well placed chest shot? By humanely I mean the yote dropping dead soon after being hit and not getting far.

Shots would be limited to around 50 yards. Its mostly dense woods around here and not much opportunity for a shot past that distance anyway.

Thanks for the info.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 magnum for coyotes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 19, 2009, 06:12 PM
For the most part, yes.
Many will not just drop on the spot unless the brain or spine is hit though.

I have used the .22 Mag some for calling, and can usually make head or frontal chest shots.
Sometimes they drop DRT, and sometimes they don't, and can make it a ways before falling.

rc

snowpro440
April 19, 2009, 07:41 PM
yes no problem for chest shot on coyotes at 50 to 100 yards ,they always go down an if they dont stay down they dont run too far . I have shot them further than 100 and they dont run much more than 50 or so yards in most cases, hunted them quite often in arizona

Marlin 45 carbine
April 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
stick one in his ear and DRT for sure.

tbrowning87
April 19, 2009, 09:14 PM
You fellas will probably think I'm wrong but I really see no point in coyote hunting. I have some hard feellings towards coyotes because they have gotten a few dogs and lots of cats out of my area but this doesn't make me want to go out and shoot a bunch of them for fun. I'm going to quote the red hot chilli peppers in saying that "true men don't kill coyotes."

Ankeny
April 19, 2009, 09:38 PM
"true men don't kill coyotes." Yikes...I shoot 75 to a 100 per year depending on availability. The govt. trapper in my area gets 900-1100 per year and the state spends millions killing them by the truck loads. Maybe our circumstances are a bit different than yours?

tbrowning87
April 19, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'd say so. You must live in the southern half of this country. Up here where I live the coyotes arn't that thick. Hey if you like coyote hunting, more power to you. You live in the United States and coyote hunting is legal, so shoot all of them that you are allowed. I just don't see the fun in shooting something I'm not gonna eat. I do howerver wish they would open a sealion season up here on the Columbia river, because I think I might participate in that hunt.

Art Eatman
April 19, 2009, 10:53 PM
It's all about the use of the .22 Mag on coyotes, not about coyote hunting...

shaggy430
April 19, 2009, 11:06 PM
Shoot the filthy bastards with whatever you got. If it happens to be a .22 mag then more power to you.

paintballdude902
April 19, 2009, 11:27 PM
i think it depends on you more than the round the .22 mag is def enough for yotes if you are good with the gun

just take your time and plan the shot placement and the .22mag will deliver a fatal shot that will either drt or probably make it less than 100 yards

btw what rifle are you using

bang_bang
April 20, 2009, 04:09 AM
I would imagine ammo choice would be important. I've got some CCI TNT JHP that are brutal on groundhogs, but more often than not, stay inside the varmint. They expand and fragment on impact, turn whatever is on the inside into mush. Not very deep penetration though. Perfect for head shots.

On the other hand, I would imagine the Ballistic Tips to perform well. Those are my favorites in the .22 Magnum. Although, I've never shot a coyote with them, they do very well on every other animal bigger and smaller than a coyote.

Guvnor
April 20, 2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the comments.

I dont have a .22 mag yet but shopping around, thinking of the marlin 925M or similar bolt gun with a good scope. I like the idea of the .22 mag because given the cheap cost of ammo (compared to centerfire) I could afford to shoot it every weekend. Id like to think that as a result, id be a darn good shot with that particular gun.

CCI makes a 40 grain soft point called a "gamepoint" that they list as a small game round on their website. Im thinking that might give me the best penetration.

kanook
April 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
if you can find the honady 22mag ammo give that a try. they say its a little better(faster). haven't got anything with it yet, plus its hard to tell with headshots

jimmyraythomason
April 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
I use CCI 40gr hp Maxi Mags in my Savage 65M bolt gun. I glass bedded the barrel and action years ago and scoped it with a 1" Bushnell Sportview. Everything from grey squirrels to coydogs are prey up to 125yds(my longest).

T.R.
April 24, 2009, 11:27 AM
75 yards is still lethal range for 22 MAG. Coyotes are not armor-plated at all.

TR

dagger dog
April 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
There are the new loadings with a 30 gr Vmax by Hornady 2200fps and will expand and leaves only an entry hole, as not to damage the pelt.

gunsandreligion
April 24, 2009, 01:06 PM
I know a few people who use a 22lr.

rcmodel
April 24, 2009, 01:28 PM
There is a huge difference between killing them and finding them.

If you hunt for the pelts, it is always nice that they don't run off in the scrub brush and die where you can't find them.

If you just want to kill them, a .22 LR or even a .22 Short will do it eventually I suppose.

Not too sporting, or ethical though, in my opinion.

rc

CoRoMo
April 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
A .22wmr has taken a slew of yotes off my dad's farm.

They got wise to the range limits of that gun, so Dad now has a .25-06 to reach out and touch someone.

gunsandreligion
April 25, 2009, 09:56 PM
If you just want to kill them, a .22 LR or even a .22 Short will do it eventually I suppose.

Not too sporting, or ethical though, in my opinionI,v seen good shots drop yotes like a stone whith a 22lr.

Specialized
April 26, 2009, 02:31 PM
A 22 Mag will do just fine for coyotes. Just make sure your shot is an ethical one -- not further than the effective energy of the round or your gun's capabilities with you driving it.

I personally hunt coyotes for the fur, and to do my part in helping the DNR control coyote numbers to the balance and greater good of all species in the states where I live and hunt. The fur is valuable and provides enrichment in the form of income for my family, much as my hunting of species like deer, turkey, grouse, pheasant, and others provides sustenance. Not to mention an abiding appreciation for and understanding of the natural world we live in.

As for the measure of a man as opined by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, I would ask the following: what would a post-teen bunch of quasi-musical, meat-averse pillow-biters know about coyotes, or hunting, or the balance of nature? I'm sure there are a multitude of country songs that address their ilk more succinctly.

Oh, I'm sorry, was that an opinion? Was that my outdoor voice?

rcmodel
April 26, 2009, 03:22 PM
I,v seen good shots drop yotes like a stone whith a 22lr.So have I.
I grew up on a cattle farm and my dad kept a loaded Winchester 06 on the back porch.

I've seen a lot of them drop, and dropped them myself.

And I've also seen a lot of them get back up and run clear off the farm, to die a slow painful death somewhere else.

Soon as I was old enough, I got a bigger gun!

rc

.45Guy
April 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
I,v seen good shots drop yotes like a stone whith a 22lr.

Good old Winchester Super X does the job here. Of course the yotes here look like scraggly over grown grey fox. Which consequently I've yet to see a resurgence of since the decline in trapping. Maybe the population is just too far gone.

redneck2
April 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
I suspect that, as with most things, placement trumps caliber.

I got my son-in-law a brick of Hornady's last Christmas. Haven't got a chance to use them on 'yotes, but accuracy is there. I'd try it within reason. A .22 mag has pretty good whack.

jordan1948
April 26, 2009, 04:09 PM
I've never actually shot any yotes but people I used to work witha dn live near have dropped them with .22lr mostly because they didn't want to waste their deer rifle ammo. With that I'd say .22mag would be fine for up to 75yds, anything past that and you might want something that packs a bit more punch.

JImbothefiveth
April 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
It's not really evidence, however, a few guys who have say the coyotes die slowly and they often can't find them, even with heart and lung shots.

jimmyraythomason
April 26, 2009, 04:18 PM
Coyote pelts from Alabama aren't worth the effort so pest control is the (mostly) reason for hunting them. We take them as targets of opportunity to preserve the wild turkey,quail and deer populations. I like my .22wmr but would opt for my .223 if coyote was the primary target.

lgbloader
April 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
would opt for my .223 if coyote was the primary target.

That is what I would use.

LGB

wankerjake
April 26, 2009, 06:56 PM
Just want to stress shot placement when using the .22 mag. I have shot two coyotes with the .22 mag. The first I got in the neck and it was DRT. The second was in the lung area and it fell down and was hurt, but then it bolted. I trailed it for about 100 yds before I lost the trail. Didn't recover it though is the point. My dad has shot a handful of coyotes with the .22 mag (around 5). Hit one in the neck, DRT. The others were lung shots and only one was found about 100 yds from where he hit it. Most of these shots are between 50-100 yds. What we have learned: lung shots over 50 yds are almost surely deadly but not much success recovering them. With the .22mag it seems to be best to pick your shots more carefully and wait for a CNS shot. I have little doubt a well placed lung shot kills them, but they go a ways. Shoot for the head or neck if possible.

Supertac45
April 26, 2009, 08:49 PM
Use whatever, they kill everything they can catch. Kind of like a sealion or wolf.

ALquarterbore
May 3, 2009, 04:30 PM
I've seen some pretty decent pelts on some of our AL coyotes. I've shot a few with a wmr never to be recovered although I'm certain they died so if you just want to kill them I suppose it's as good as anything, although I would choose the hornady 30 grain v-max over any 40 grain load. I personally bought a H&R handi-rifle chambered in .22 hornet as a coyote gun. As my name implies the .25-06 is my favorite all around cartridge but it's kinda on the expensive side just to pop pesky critters.

jimmyraythomason
May 3, 2009, 04:40 PM
Alquarterbore,have you tried to sell one of those pelts? The last one I sold was a thick well primed male. The buyer Campbell Fur & Root Co. in Gurley,Al. gave me $12.50 for it only because it was already skinned and stretched. DEFINITELY NOT worth it! They have become so numerous here (No.Cen.Al.) that they are threatening other species. Quail and cottontail populations are down and the wild turkey (in this area) population is stuggling. They are an unprotected species and fair game any time except at night. Kill as many as you can ,we got plenty.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 4, 2009, 02:58 AM
How in the heck does a coyote catch a turkey, anyway - they can just fly away - I can see a poult, but a grown turkey?

alsaqr
May 4, 2009, 08:13 AM
How in the heck does a coyote catch a turkey, anyway - they can just fly away - I can see a poult, but a grown turkey?

Have watched two fully grown turkeys become predator food; one was caught by a bobcat and another by a coyote. A coyote catches a turkey the same way a bobcat catches a grown turkey. They hunker down and sneak up on it. A turkey is kind of like a bumblebee-it is not all that fast getting off the ground. If the coyote is within about 15 feet of the turkey when starts its take off run; the bird is coyote food.

jimmyraythomason
May 4, 2009, 08:31 AM
The biggest threat to wild turkey populations by coyotes is nest robbing. The number of adult turkeys taken is minimal. A coyote(and coon,possum,skunk..etc.) will eat every egg in the nest.

ole farmerbuck
May 4, 2009, 08:39 AM
I checked speed on the Hornady vmax, they were the very high 2200's to 2300 +. pretty accurate through my Marlin 925m.

ALquarterbore
May 5, 2009, 08:27 PM
I was by no means saying not to shoot them. I know they are a nuisance and I'll shoot any I get a chance to. 22 wmr is just too susceptible to wind drift in my opinion. With a hornady v-max it's great out to 50 yards but even with this pick of the litter load let even a light breeze blow up and past that range it becomes unpredictable. Step up to a cheap 22 centerfire and you alleviate much of this problem. And I keep nicer looking pelts for myself I wouldn't even know where to sell one except to the occasional friend who wants one for his wall. I really wasn't trying to argue the point. I agree with you. I just like to find 'em for the fun of it.

CSA 357
May 5, 2009, 08:35 PM
The 22mag will make them **** there dieing terd! What else is the 22 mag good for ? Csa

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 5, 2009, 08:58 PM
What else is the 22 mag good for ?

Lots and lots of things: squirrels, rabbits, skunks, raccoons, possums, turkeys (where legal), small beavers, target shooting.

IMO, song dogs deserve a .22 Hornet / .218 Bee or bigger for a clean kill.

Larry Ashcraft
May 5, 2009, 09:07 PM
25-06 with a 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3300 fps does a nice job out to 500 yards...

...unless you wanted something left to skin. :D

jimmyraythomason
May 5, 2009, 11:08 PM
Small beavers? A .22 wmr will cleanly take 'em as big as they get! In Fact a .22lr is almost overkill on any beaver.

jimmyraythomason
May 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm NOT advocating using a .22mag instead of a larger caliber for coyote. I would definitely go larger if given a choice, however, if I am out with my Savage M65 bolt gun and a coyote gives me a shot within 100 yards...he's MINE!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 6, 2009, 11:15 AM
Small beavers? A .22 wmr will cleanly take 'em as big as they get! In Fact a .22lr is almost overkill on any beaver.

Really? A large Canadian beaver gets bigger than a typical hill country Texas deer - would you consider .22lr overkill on deer?

Adults get up to 70 lbs, with occasional specimens going to 80 or 90 lbs.

http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/beaver2.html

jimmyraythomason
May 6, 2009, 01:36 PM
Yes Dr. Tad,Alabama beaver can reach 80lbs(not typical,45lbs on average). I trapped and hunted them for a number of years(25+). At a .22lr's effective range it is more than adequate for even the largest beaver. Beaver are NOT very tough animals to kill.(a beast to carry out afterwards though!)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 6, 2009, 05:11 PM
OK, so having said that, would you use .22lr on deer?

jimmyraythomason
May 6, 2009, 05:33 PM
Dr.Tad,if it were legal and our deer were as small(an 80lb deer is just out of spots) as large beaver,maybe but probably not because deer as much tougher than beaver.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 6, 2009, 08:37 PM
ok. Just curious. :)

Clint C
May 6, 2009, 08:40 PM
A .22 mag will kill a coyote just fine at 50 yards. I recomend hollow points. A friend of mine droped a dog at 115 yards with a .17 hmr once and I would think a .22 mag would do the same. I have killed them at 40 yards with my 22 mag. I usually use my shotgun when I am hunting in thick woods.

.45Guy
May 10, 2009, 08:52 PM
Well, I'm pretty dang bored today, and my oh so craptastic job doesn't require my presence until 4pm tomorrow. I may be tempted to sit out with the old Glenfield 25 tonight.

hockea
May 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
Odd that in 49 posts nobody has mentioned shooting the coyote on the point of the shoulder. I have taken dozens of them with 22lr & 22mag this way with none moving from the spot.

Fryerpower
September 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm NOT advocating using a .22mag instead of a larger caliber for coyote. I would definitely go larger if given a choice, however, if I am out with my Savage M65 bolt gun and a coyote gives me a shot within 100 yards...he's MINE!

I hunt a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) up here by Knoxville, TN. You are only allowed to use rimfire out of deer season. I have a Savage 65M also. I just added a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40mm scope to it and will be hunting coyote with it by next week. I'm finishing up my DIY electronic caller now.

I'll be using 33 grain Remmington Accutip ammo. With the decoy set up at 50 yards and the caller speaker set up at 40 yards I should be able to get a good kill shot, if I can just get a coyote to commit.

I would love to use a larger weapon/round, but the rules say I cannot. It comes down to reducing the range and careful shot placement.

-Jim

joeoim
September 18, 2009, 12:58 PM
Fryerpower'

Keep us posted.

Joe

T.R.
September 20, 2009, 09:42 PM
I've had very good luck with my bolt action Marlin 22 MAG for over 25 years. A double lung shot coyote will typically bound away and topple in mid-stride. Winchester 40 grain hollow tip is both accurate and superbly deadly.

Plan to keep your shots within 75 yards or so.

TR

dirty south man
September 23, 2009, 09:03 PM
.22 mag is definately enough.

Kernel
September 24, 2009, 03:47 AM
Yeah, a .22 Mag can kill a coy dog, but it's far from ideal, regardless of range. IMO good coyote loads have a Taylor Knock-Out Factor of at least 7 (mv x bore dia x bullet weight/7000). The .22 Mag on a good day has a TKO of about 3.5, or half of what's needed. No .22 cartridge gets to seven very easily. Good coyote rifles begin with the 6mm's. The .243 is excellent. Even a 6mm TCU or 6x45 can get it done.

dirty dave
September 29, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yes 22 mags are fine for coyotes .Best advise I have is buy several brands of ammo and see what your gun shoots the best because a good hit is what counts here.I use them in the spring here in Tennessee we have a spring squirrel season.and on WMA's you cant use a centerfire at this time.And I shoot them because it helps out the small game.LIKE RABBITS

jimmyraythomason
September 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
"IMO good coyote loads have a Taylor Knock-Out Factor of at least 7 (mv x bore dia x bullet weight/7000). The .22 Mag on a good day has a TKO of about 3.5, or half of what's needed. No .22 cartridge gets to seven very easily."-Kernel. All of that means nothing to the large number of coyotes(a coy-dog is a cross between a coyote and a dog,BTW) killed with a .22WMR.

buck460XVR
September 30, 2009, 12:31 AM

A coyote catches a turkey the same way a bobcat catches a grown turkey. They hunker down and sneak up on it. A turkey is kind of like a bumblebee-it is not all that fast getting off the ground. If the coyote is within about 15 feet of the turkey when starts its take off run; the bird is coyote food.

I have more than once watched yotes work turkeys in pairs, where one will show itself to the birds so they wander to the other side of the field where the other one is waiting for them to use their escape route. Have watched yotes sneaking up on strutting toms behind brushy fenchlines or from ravines/creek beds. Yotes do a better job of patterning turkeys than most turkey hunters. Until turkeys were introduced around here we had very few coyotes. Now we got lots of turkeys and lots of coyotes. I average a coupla yotes a year that come in to my turkey calls and decoys, both in the spring and in the fall.

Fryerpower
October 31, 2009, 01:33 AM
Fryerpower'

Keep us posted.

Joe
6 weeks. No good place to go hunting. No time to do it.

I finally got the scope set up fairly close. I didn't have a vice so I had to lean on a truck hood and take my 100 yard shots. It is probably within 2-3 inches of being dead on. I need to put it on a rest and load it down with sand or lead bags, then finish the job.

While we were out there a squirrel was nice enough to let me take a shot. I went center of mass instead of head shot to make sure I hit him. Got him in the right butt cheek. Ruined a leg worth of meat, and pretty much gutted him. Those 33 grain Remington accutips make a mess of squirrels!

It was not my best shot, and I will not be shooting at squirrels again until I finish getting it sighted in. It was not a quick, clean kill. There is no reason it shouldn't be a head shot with my set up, once I finish sighting it in.

I'm closer to coyote hunting now. I need to get out there!

-Jim

Fryerpower
October 31, 2009, 02:46 PM
I've made up and ordered some business cards to use as handouts for local farmers. I'm not trying to run a business, but a business card is easy to give someone when you are talking to them and it is easy for them to stick in their wallet or truck. I just want a way for them to contact me if they decide they need some help with their coyotes.

I talked to one farmer that has cattle on 150 leased acres (80 acres of field, 70 of woods on a slope). Last year he lost 4 calves. This year he lost 2 so far. He said he has a "plan" to catch all of the coyotes at once...:rolleyes:

I left my name & number, and wished him luck.

I really want to try out my .22 magnum on some coyotes! When the cards come in I will start posting them and talking to some more farmers.

-Jim

Vern Humphrey
October 31, 2009, 04:23 PM
I like my .22 Hornet for coyotes. Here in the Ozarks, a shot over 200 yards is rare. My load is a case full (and compressed) of Hodgdon's Li'l Gun behind a 35 grain Hornady V-Max. That gives me about 3,000 fps muzzle velocity and plenty of range for these parts.

And I've never had a coyote run off after being hit in the boiler room with that little V-Max.

TCOV
October 31, 2009, 05:05 PM
Winchester 22mag SuperX hollow points work fine under 100 yards.

Fryerpower
November 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
Is the .22 hornet a rimfire? Due to the local laws I'm stuck with rimfire. The strongest rimfire I have heard of is the 5 mm. Ammo is hard to come by for them and I already own the .22 magnum. I'll use what I have.

-Jim

Leaky Waders
November 1, 2009, 07:47 AM
I can't wait to get back...we'll duck hunt while the season is open and coyote hunt on blue bird days.

My 13 year old wants to use his cz 22 on a 'real hunt'. So I figure we'll set up a little decoy and call some in. I'll back him with an over and under and some buck shot...just in case the dog gets too rambunctious and gets too close.

I've only coyote hunted once...and was one for one. The darn thing nearly ran me over - I shot it twice with a winchester pump in 20 gauge. It was probably dead with the first shot but the tail was still slapping some, so I hit it again. It was exciting and seems to be a natural off season sport for duck hunting.

Later, we'll move up to rifles, we don't get to deer hunt much...mostly because I'm always deployed but also because duck hunting is about a million more times addicting, to me, than deer hunting and the seasons overlap. But, we'll get to use the 'big guns' at something other than paper and tree stumps.

We have a dog that can track those things down regardless of how far they hunker off. A little daschund goes a long ways to finding game...

Didn't some country singer just get killed by some coyotes up north?

Vern Humphrey
November 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
Is the .22 hornet a rimfire?
Nope. The .22 Hornet started out in the mid 1880s as the .22 Winchester Central Fire, a black powder cartridge. Experimenters at Springfield Armory developed smokeless loads for it in the 1920s.

Zeke/PA
November 1, 2009, 08:16 AM
A friend uses a call to get the Coyote within range and his hunting companion dispatches the animal with a head shot from a .22 Long Rifle to avoid destroying a saleable pelt.

Vern Humphrey
November 1, 2009, 08:23 AM
There are a lot of squeal and shake calls on the market. Typically you either set the call and walk to your stand before it starts calling, or you set it up, get into your stand and trigger it with a remote. It will issue a realistic call and shake -- imitating a rabbit or other critter in distress. I find they work well on coyotes.

BMF500
November 1, 2009, 08:28 AM
I've shot more than a few with a .22mag and it works just fine. So does a .22lr. These days I prefer .17hmr.

HydrostatiK
November 1, 2009, 09:22 AM
My cousin kills lots of yotes with 22lr. I think he uses stingers, in a 10/22.

Fryerpower
November 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
Didn't some country singer just get killed by some coyotes up north?

http://www.tnpredators.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=3291.html#3291

It was up in Canada.

-Jim

bchris2146
November 2, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'd sure like to get in on some of that! Not too many farmers are willing to let us hunt here in Western NC. Plus theres too many housing developments going in. Coyotes sure are rough on our fawns here,,wish more people would hunt them!

joeoim
November 13, 2009, 11:27 PM
Fryerpower,

Thanks for the update, any time to fine tune?
I think the business cards is a good idea. It will give a farmer something to fall back on 6 months or a year later when He or a neighbor wants to find you.

Joe

dragonriot
November 13, 2009, 11:48 PM
I've got a .17HMR for pesky rabbits and yotes here in Wisconsin. The superior muzzle velocity and wonderful action of the bullet when it hits flesh pretty much DRTs any animal under 30lbs... In my Savage Bolt Action with Accutrigger, I am hitting .5" groups at 100 yards on a calm day, and head shots are the norm on rabbits and yotes. The Hornady V-Max bullets are premier, and pretty much gut a rabbit if you hit them anywhere other than the head.

-eaux-
November 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
stick one in his ear and DRT for sure.

+1 to that! .22wmr to the gourd = coyote medicine.
also sufficient for vitals shots, but i'd keep them to closer ranges.

gallo
November 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
Growing up, more than a .22LR for a yote was a waste of bullet. I sure the .22 mag will do just fine.

cz85cmbt
November 18, 2009, 01:15 AM
At close range with a semi auto or lever the .22 mag is still marginal. Foxes, porcupines, raccoons, where this varmint cartridge shines. An adult coyote here in the east can go 40 pounds regularly and serious 'yote hunters here bag a decent amount in the 45 pound range. Other western and southern coyotes typically can run around somewhere around 20 pounds. The .22 mag will do fine on these smaller 'yotes, but if you live in the north the bone structure will very often stop these bullets so your shots will have to be head shots, perhaps a dead on chest shot, or to sneak one into the lungs through the ribs. Then again the last two shot selection could see bad bullet deflection or penetration from hitting bone. The .17hmr is an awful choice any bone will destroy the bullet and result in only a bad wound. I know you said rimfire might be your only choice but a marlin lever gun in .357 will shoot .38 specials very quietly and with a good bullet will drop coyotes at 50+ yards hooter loads will get you out to over 100 yards but not as quiet.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 18, 2009, 01:46 AM
Give 'em some humaneness, will ya's? .22 hornet or up, please. 45 gr or heavier.

Daniel
November 21, 2009, 03:01 AM
In the brain or heart, and it'll work as good as anything else out there that launches a 40 grain 5.7mm bullet at the necessary velocity to penetrate adequate bone and flesh; if you can make these hits at 50 and 100 meters respectively every time in practice, you're good to go. A shoulder shot should work at close range (i.e., 50 meters and under), and by work, I mean making it incapacitated quickly. Anything over 100 meters and you're into .22 Hornet/.223 Rem territory if you want a quick kill.

You want a minimum striking velocity to make sure the projectile is going to make it through; under 100 meters and you're golden with a .22 Winchester Magnum on a small animal like a coyote, but you aren't really going to see a hammered animal unless the CNS is hit. The .22 Magnum just doesn't have the velocity to achieve massive tissue disruption, except perhaps near the muzzle (1600 fps or so seems to be needed to really damage organs, rather than poking holes in them).

It'd be analogous to hunting deer with a .30-30 compared to a .308; you have to pass up shots with the former that you can make with the latter due to the velocity.

HunterBear71
November 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
The caliber police always make me chuckle. 22 mag is just fine, but your range will be limited. If you really want to be 'humane', just don't shoot a projectile through the coyotes body.

endebt
November 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
I can see a lot of you don't live and breath on a ranch. Here in texas as a cattle rancher i have calves and yotes kill calves. There is not one of them worth 1 of my calves. They will kill a calve as it is being born. So you don't shoot. But i bet if you were losing $500. per calve you would be hunting these S.O.B.

Vern Humphrey
November 26, 2009, 09:46 PM
Here in Arkansas, we have a lot of coyotes. I saw two trotting through my pasture the other day, bold as brass (as we say in the Ozarks, "when you're not carrying your gun, you'll jump a varmit from behind every bush.")

I call them and use a .22 Hornet.

The Gunman
November 27, 2009, 09:30 PM
25-06 with a 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3300 fps does a nice job out to 500 yards...

...unless you wanted something left to skin.

Same effect I get with my .270win 130gr.....

Use the 22wmr if you want. I think it is fine out to around 100yd. with good shot placement. I just happen to believe that here in IL, you can't make a coyote to dead.

Just remember, a coyote is one tough dog.

gglass
December 1, 2009, 11:17 PM
I use a Rossi M92 Puma .357 Magnum, but I chamber .38 Special rounds for small game like fox or coyotes.

I love having rifles that can take anything from a squirrel to a deer, with just a change in ammunition.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7973/oldnewsmall.jpg

The bottom puma is my scoped .44 Magnum for deer hunting only.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 magnum for coyotes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!