Single Six or K-22?

PDA

Quoheleth
April 20, 2009, 10:13 AM
Off & on, I have been thinking of picking up a .22 revolver for cheaper practice than my centerfire revolvers (I have a .22 Buckmark already).

I've been shopping and have found a very nice 4" K-22 (adjustable sights) for ~$400. I would give it a solid 90%, maybe even a little better. This is the precursor of the Model 18, right?

Then, I found a Ruger Single Six, 6.5" barrel, that's probably 85%-90%, .22 Magnum cylinder only, for $150.

This is a one-or-the-other deal; I can't do both. The K-22 is a good price - usually, these fetch $100+ more than this tag. But, a $150 Single Six is pretty hard to beat, too - even if I have to shop for a .22 LR cylinder later, and that adds another $50 to my price.

So, would you go K-22 or Single-Six?
(Of course, this could all be moot. I can't get there until this afternoon and both could be gone by then)

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Six or K-22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
clang
April 20, 2009, 10:17 AM
S&W - only because the Single Six does not have a 22LR cylindar.

.22Mag is not cheap to shoot.

Thomas Garrett
April 20, 2009, 10:36 AM
I voted for the K-22. Great "target" pistol. I'd put it up against the Colt OMM. Classic. Price is good too!

loadedround
April 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
I own and shoot both. The K22 at 90% is a good buy and so is the Ruger Single Six. You could very easily shop the net for a 22 LR cylinder and it would be a good guess it would be a drop in or take very little work to make it right. Possibly Ruger would fit a 22 LR cylider to it for much less than a 100.00 also. It really boils down to what you want to do with either revolver. If you want it for semi target/bullsye work, go with the S&W; if you want a plinking/woods carry gun, go with the Ruger. It's your choice, good luck with it! :)

Carl Levitian
April 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Owning both guns, my k22 is more accurite than my Ruger. But then, my model 18 is a more accurite shooter than the Ruger. I've heard some say the Ruger bore is a compromise because of the tiny difference in size from the .22 mag to the .22LR. I don't know if thats even true, but the Smiths are real shooters. The Ruger is okay, but not in the same league as the k22.

Plus if you have any double action revolvers, the S&W can do stand-in practice for your .357 or such. When I spend range time with my model 18, then pick up my model 66m it feels the same.

Go with the Smith and Wesson.

ArmedBear
April 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't buy a somewhat beat up .22LR/.22 WMR gun without the .22LR cylinder for $150. I'd buy it without the .22WMR cylinder for $150, for a plinker, any day of the week, though.

A beat $200 Single Six isn't that great. Spend a bit more and you can get a really nice one (stainless would be my preference for a knockaround gun anyway).

I have an old revolver with two cylinders like that. The only thing I ever do with the WMR cylinder is try to figure out where to store it without losing or rusting it. It's probably had 30 .22WMR rounds through it in almost as many years of my Dad owning it, and me -- and those rounds were purely for curiosity's sake, since we had the cylinder kicking around.:)

POI is slightly different between .22LR and .22WMR as well (windage, not just elevation).

IMO this is an utterly useless feature for anyone who owns a .38, 9mm, or anything bigger, unless there you have local regulations that allow rimfires only in certain hunting areas or some special case like that. .22WMR isn't quiet from a revolver. Hell, .22 CB Shorts are quiet from a revolver, because of the cylinder gap (something I found out in my living room, shooting into a backyard backstop without earplugs once).

Particularly because it's neither cheap nor reloadable, .22WMR is really only a good round for a bolt or lever action rifle, and specific small game hunting purposes.

DMZ
April 20, 2009, 12:11 PM
K-22, because it is a DA, and should be more accurate than a Single Six.

kanook
April 20, 2009, 02:09 PM
the ruger is bored for the 22mag(i belive it is .224) you can get rifle like ballistics out of the 22mag. in a handgun(guns and ammo tv did an segment on this last week)

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
April 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
k-22, for the reasons given above. Well worth $400.

Single Six with a .22 LR cylinder, is worth $150. With .22 MAG cylinder only, nope. Not to me at least.

ArmedBear
April 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
you can get rifle like ballistics out of the 22mag. in a handgun

You can't get rifle-like ballistics out of the .22WMR in a rifle.:D

That said, velocity loss is dramatic in a shorter barrel, and the revolver produces nothing near .22WMR rifle ballistics.

Here are some examples:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_roundup_22WMR.htm

ClemY
April 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
My experience has been that the K-22 is significantly more accurate than the Single Six, and the price is well below what I have seen them going for locally. I picked up a 1958 vintage K-22 a couple of years ago. Very nice. I do prefer the stainless finish of the 617, so I use it more even though it is a little heavier.

jad0110
April 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
They don't make guns like the K-22 anymore. Ruger is still churning out Single Sixes, including ones with 22 LR cylinders.

The K-22 is a fine target gun, and they are getting rare, especially the 4" Models. I'd say a 4" K-22, 90% condition for $400 is a very good deal. IMO, a fair market price for the gun is closer to $500.

If the gun you are looking at does not have a Model # (like 17 or 18) and has a barrel length of 4", then it is a K-22 pre-model 18 Combat Masterpiece. Later (sometime in the mid 80s) when the K-22 / Model 18 was discontinued, the K-22 / Model 17 was offered with a 4" barrel option.

BTW, I just picked up a NIB Heritage Rough Rider Combo (22 LR/Mag cylinders) for $150 from Bud's Gun Shop. Blue, 5.5" barrel (highly unusual) and cocobolo grips. Some people have bad experiences with them, but this is my second and it is at least as good as the first. It is nearly as accurate as my K-22, and I don't mind putting the cheap Heritage back in the safe without cleaning it. A very fun gun for the money that I'd take in a heartbeat over a Single Six with only a Magnum cylinder.

kanook
April 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
Armedbear, only stating what the "experts" on Guns and Ammo TV said. :)

Ben Shepherd
April 20, 2009, 06:06 PM
From what you said, it should be a super single six and have adjustable sights.

I'd say the better accuracy of the K-22 is debateable. I watched dad go 6 for 6 with water filled soda cans at 70 yards with a weaver stance 2 days ago with his super six when we were at the local range.

With that said, I'd snag the ruger and then have a gunsmith fit a standard cylinder for me.

ArmedBear
April 20, 2009, 06:14 PM
With that said, I'd snag the ruger and then have a gunsmith fit a standard cylinder for me.

Why, when you can buy a Super Single Six in better shape, with both cylinders, for the total price?

(I know that, when I look at a gun, I miss things, even when I look closely. I'm guessing that 85-90% means no more than 80% once you get the thing home and to the work bench.)

saltydog452
April 20, 2009, 06:18 PM
One of the most 'fun' guns that I have owned was a Super Single Six. I was in my teens and blasting away at the local garbage dump kinda up'ed the fun meter considerable.

I'm older and, supposedly, more logical now so I guess I'd spring for a K-22 again.

I also bought a K-22 for one of my grand-kids. She is a 'lefty' and ejected brass from the semi-autos was a bit distracting.

salty

Quoheleth
April 20, 2009, 06:23 PM
It wouldn't be an easy decision though

That's why I'm here, asking the question! :rolleyes:

I thank all for the opinions. I called a little bit ago; the K-22 is still there. I couldn't make it today, after all - had to get the kids after school, instead. Family responsibility and all...:p

Q

ArmedBear
April 20, 2009, 06:28 PM
Another thing...

When I go to a gun show, I see a LOT of Single Sixes in mediocre condition. They're readily available, and will keep on being available.

Sure, there are some Ruger fanatics who will pay extra for an early model, but still not all that much unless it's 100%, NIB and 50+ years old.

The K22? Not so much.

The Single Six is a fine gun. But there'll be plenty of them around next month, and next year, for relatively cheap, if you want one - especially one in well-used condition.

saltydog452
April 20, 2009, 06:41 PM
When we're kids, especially old, grey, bald, kids, there is something kinda magical about single actions.

Whatever trips your fun meter.

salty

10-Ring
April 20, 2009, 06:44 PM
Tough to deny a vintage Smith!

ArmedBear
April 20, 2009, 06:50 PM
When we're kids, especially old, grey, bald, kids, there is something kinda magical about single actions.

I like them, too. I went to the range yesterday. I took two Ruger single actions -- and a vintage Smith.:)

If we were talking about a SS6 for $450 and a 617 for $700, I'd say get the Ruger and have fun.

But we're talking about a beat Single Six, missing the cylinder that most people use 99.9% of the time (with good reason), for more than it's worth, vs. a K22 for less than it's worth.

Easy choice, AFAIC -- even though I like single actions.

Ben Shepherd
April 20, 2009, 07:20 PM
AB-Quote:

Why, when you can buy a Super Single Six in better shape, with both cylinders, for the total price?

Must be local market conditions, around here with both cylinders at 85% or better condition bring at least 200 and usually 250 or better with both.

My main point was that the super sixes(rough dozen or so examples) I've shot have been VERY accurate. So I was figuring he could get BOTH calibers in an accurate platform for half the money of the smith.

ArmedBear
April 20, 2009, 07:41 PM
Must be local market conditions, around here with both cylinders at 85% or better condition bring at least 200 and usually 250 or better with both.

No, I just figure that you'd have to spend the same money and a lot more time to get the same thing, piece by piece.

Let's say you can find a cylinder for 50 bucks. Let's say the gunsmith will only charge you 25 to fit it.

That's $225, at a minimum, to have a revolver worth owning, plus a hassle. (No, the .22WMR-only gun isn't even worth owning IMO)

Or you could pay $225 and have a gun in your hand, working, ready to shoot this Saturday, no PITA, no more time spent, no parts shipping costs, no gambling that you'll find a good cylinder somewhere for 50 bucks.

A bird in the hand being worth two in the bush, I'd pay up to $300 for the gun with two cylinders before I'd pay $150 for this one, unless I already had a .22LR cylinder. And for $300 I can get it in stainless if I look around enough, $350 for one in stainless and 99% condition.

Why go through the hassle? We're talking about a dime-a-dozen gun here, not something you only see once every 10 years or something. Just buy one that's already working.

Some things that are well worth doing if it's a rare or expensive piece, simply aren't worth doing if it's neither.

JohnBT
April 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
I voted K-22/Model 17 even though I still have the Single-Six Convertible I bought new in '72. I like them both and the Ruger is great, but, well, I voted for the K-22.

I have a 17-4 with a 8.375" bbl. and a 2x scope and a 17-6 with 4" bbl. I really like the scoped big gun. Here's the little one.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/JohnBT3/Model17-6.jpg?t=1240272949

John

jaholder1971
April 20, 2009, 09:20 PM
Get the K-22. I've never seen a Single Six outshoot one and will keep the resale value.

wanderinwalker
April 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
I confess, I didn't read your whole first post. I got to "$400..4" K-22..90%" and I thought, "WHY ARE YOU ASKING?? WHERE WAS YOUR WALLET??"

In all honesty, I have had a Single-Six for a couple of years, and a S&W M-18 (model version of the gun you're looking) for a couple of months. No question, I'd keep the S&W. It wouldn't even be a hard decision. Single-Sixes of various vintages, barrel lengths, etc, are a dime a dozen. K-22s don't turn up every day.

Besides, in 3-5 years, the S&W will be worth more than you paid, and still be nicer than a Ruger.

LTR shooter
April 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
found a very nice 4" K-22 (adjustable sights) for ~$400. I would give it a solid 90%, maybe even a little better.

I found a Ruger Single Six, 6.5" barrel, that's probably 85%-90%, .22 Magnum cylinder only, for $150.

Unless you had an incredible stockpile of 22 mag ammo I would take the K-22 over the 22 mag ONLY Single Six any day of the week. And that is coming from a Single Six owner. You can pick up a brand new Single Six ANYTIME with both cylinders. The K-22 at that price is what I consider to be a rare bargain on a hard to find classic Smith.

ShowMe2
April 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
ArmedBear has made some excellent points...

Ruger probably made a bunch of Single Sixes today. How many of the K-22's you looked at did Smith make today?

I've owned both of these revolvers and to me there is no comparison. If I could have only one handgun, it would be a K-22.

Single action revolvers are fun, but reloading them is a drag. Listen to AB and get the Smith.

wickerbill
April 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
Quoheleth
Here is how I look at your problem. The only way I can anser your question, is how I would do it. If i had $400 and a choise between a double action 22lr for $400 or a single action 22mag. for $150, well $250 will buy a lot of 22mags.;)
Bill

Gunfighter123
April 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
Not even close -- get the Smith !!!

deputy tom
April 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
I voted K-22.More expensive to purchase but ammo costs alone the .22 LR will save enough in the first year to more than make up the initial difference in costs.YMMV.tom.

Confederate
April 21, 2009, 12:19 AM
All I can say is that I really enjoy shooting, and even cleaning, a single action revolver. I don't get the same joy out of a DA revolver for some reason -- maybe it's because shooting a centerfire revolver is more fun, or even memorable.

When I was at school, I had a $62 RG .22LR. I also had a $92 Ruger Standard Auto. Although I enjoyed both, I found that often I'd head up in the mountains with just the RG and a few boxes of ammo. When I sold it, I went through withdrawal. Yes, it was cheap, junky, light, and I had to keep tighening the screws that kept the brown plastic grips on, but I could just about hit anything with it.

So now I have a Ruger Single-Six, a Ruger Mark II (both stainless) and a couple of Rossi .22LR DA revolvers. I like shooting all of them, but I still have a special place for the single action. At the time I got rid of the RG, I paid the difference and bought my first Ruger Security-Six. Stainless S&Ws were impossible to get and the Rugers sold for $169.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Rugers_MkII_SS_1a.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Snap4.jpg

A photo of my RG 22 nickel plated revolver.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/RugerSingle-Six_5.jpg

There's just something about single-actions that
makes me enjoy shooting them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Six or K-22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!