Colt "I" Frames

PDA

Thomas Garrett
April 21, 2009, 08:03 AM
Just one question, why is it that the older Colt "I" frame pistols i.e. OMT's, OMM's doesn't appreciate the same as the Python models?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt "I" Frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
April 21, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure that they do. From my own observations it seems that the older Troopers and other I frame models have about doubled in selling price in the past few years while the Pythons have tripled or more.

But all guns are going up dramatically in price recently with Colts being particularly fast in rising value as they haven't made any new guns for a long time, now and demand for those on the used market keeps increasing.

Old Fuff
April 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
In Colt collector and shooter circles the Python has cult status - with some justification, as it was a fine revolver.

On the other hand relatively few people know how great the earlier I-frame target models were, and as a rule of thumb in today’s market, most .38 revolvers that are not a snubby aren’t fought over. The least popular is one with a 6-inch barrel that doesn’t say “Magnum” on it. I sometimes like it that way. :scrutiny:

Acting on my advise, a friend recently bought a Officers Model that was made in the middle 1930's with unmatched workmanship that hasn't been excelled - before or after. It was in absolutely perfect condition, and might have been unfired. The only problem was that it was dry as a bone and needed to be cleaned and lubricated.

He got it off an Internet auction, and there were no other bidders.

The cost? $400.00 :eek:

If Colt was to make an exact duplicate today, I'm sure the suggested retail price would exceed $2,000. The extensive internal fitting was equal to any Python, and better then most.

It is said that ignorance is bliss, and the Old Fuff is a strong supporter of blissfulness... But he is much more likely to be a buyer then seller. :evil:

Thomas Garrett
April 21, 2009, 11:34 AM
Old Fuff, yep, that's the one i blinked on. Still kicking myself in the butt on that one. Got 2 already. Thanks for the reply. as your word is gold!:D

SaxonPig
April 21, 2009, 11:44 AM
Got this 357 Trooper on Gun Broker a couple months ago for $400.

http://www.fototime.com/257AD7125BE3D4C/standard.jpg

Found this OMM 22 in the same place for $375.

http://www.fototime.com/452379B6DFDF1E8/standard.jpg

Old Fuff
April 21, 2009, 11:55 AM
Thomas Garrett:

Old Fuff, yep, that's the one i blinked on.

Don't think so, I believe it was a second identical one, strangely from the same seller.

SaxonPig:

Don't ya' just love ignorance? I'm reminded of a remark that Bill Ruger made to me, to the effect that, "His success was based on the incompetence of his competitors as much as his own genius."

Jim K
April 21, 2009, 12:01 PM
Those DA Colts of the 1920's through the 1970's are among the great sleepers in modern gun collecting. They were superbly made and if given care will last several lifetimes. Guns older than 1920 I consider for collectors only, but the later ones are shootable and often found in near new condition, having been kept in the bureau drawer.

Jim

Thomas Garrett
April 21, 2009, 12:05 PM
SaxonPig, I remember that OMM when it was listed. (remembered the picture) Your's is the 1956 model, my .22 OMM was a 1958, and my .38 Spec. OMM was the 1966. Don't you just love the actions of those. I still shoot both of mine weekly, and yes, keep'em clean and well oiled. Beautiful Craftmanship. That's why i started this thread. Eventually people will understand the "true" value of these fine revolvers.:)

Old Fuff, I remember PM'ing with you about that Guy that "pulls them out of his Hat" from time to time.

capttom
April 23, 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm always amused when a potential buyer is steered away from a Colt with the advise that they're not built any more and few 'smiths know how to work on them. S&Ws are fine guns and great for carry, Rugers are hell for stout, but a Colt revolver is like, well, it's like that nursing student I met in college back in 1971 that I never got around to marrying.
When I die, I hope I'm smiling and grasping a Colt 1911 or 2 1/2" Python with a few rounds gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt "I" Frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!