Minimum scope magnification for distance?

PDA

Col. Plink
April 21, 2009, 05:34 PM
I recently purchased a scope with a max magnification of 9x. Is this going to be useful only to a certain range? My eyesight is good, but I don't know how far out that range of magnification is useful. I don't mind getting another scope with better magnification but it would seem a poor choice to move the 9x to a .22 . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "Minimum scope magnification for distance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Afy
April 21, 2009, 05:38 PM
define distance

rcmodel
April 21, 2009, 05:41 PM
9x is plenty enough for most uses short of long range match shooting. Or close range bench-rest shooting.

That makes 450 yards look like 50 yards.
Or 100 yards look like 11 yards.

Surely you can see 11 yards, or 50 yards. Right?

Most people buy too much scope, then wonder why it is dim, and shaking all over the target when their heart beats.

For hunting, my 3x-9x variables spend about 90% of their time set on 3x or 4x.

rc

Afy
April 21, 2009, 05:46 PM
RC:
My 12-42 is typically set at 26 which is what I blame my flyers on. ;)
But it isnt dim or cheap either. ;)

Col. Plink
April 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
Bought a 3-9x illuminated scope (Centrepoint), and having never used a scope that needed batteries I have to say it's a pretty cool innovation. The night I got it everything in the house was in danger of being pierced by imaginary bullets.

At just over $50 it seems a possible replacement for the truly awful cheapie I got for my 10/22. I'd prefer to shoot the .22 open sights but the rear flip sight on the 10/22 isn't worth spit.

codybrown
April 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
I like 6-20x scopes. They allow me to use smaller magnifications, or be able to crank them way up. Seldom do I go above 12x, but when I'm shooting tiny groups, it's nice to be able to use 16x-20x magnification levels.

edelbrock
April 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
What caliber gun is the scope going on and what are you shooting at? If you are shooting at targets then a higher magnification scope is great. Hunting at close range is a different story.

HB
April 21, 2009, 07:22 PM
When shooting offhand, I usually have the scope on 4 or maybe 5X... People don't shoot offhand anymore though, but I won't start that battle :eek:... Off a bench you can go as high as you want really, especially if you are shooting at fixed targets with unlimited time to find them in your 3' field of view.

HB

TMM
April 21, 2009, 07:41 PM
on my .22 i have a 2x-7x scope... even benchrested i use 2-4x. the jumping crosshairs distract more than help me... FWIW.

TMM

bucktail
April 21, 2009, 08:26 PM
It depends on intended use. For big game, 9X is plenty of magnification for any distance you can shoot. For coyotes, and larger varmints and such, I like more magnification available, but rarely use it. For smaller varmints, and long distance paper, eggs, etc. more power is nice, but I wouldn't stay home for want of more magnification.

redneck2
April 21, 2009, 08:36 PM
Most people buy too much scope, then wonder why it is dim
It's dim because guys buy a cheap POS and think it's as good as a Swarovski. Mine don't dim out, but I spend more than $89.95.
I recently purchased a scope with a max magnification of 9x. Is this going to be useful only to a certain range
Depends on the size of the target. Elk or prairie dog?

Art Eatman
April 21, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have found that 3x will let you ruin Bambi's day at 350 yards, with no trouble whatsoever. 7x is plenty good for prairie dogs to 300 yards or thereabouts. 10x let me get sub-MOA at 500 yards.

deacon8
April 21, 2009, 09:02 PM
My main hunting rifle has a good 3-9x. I usually leave it on 4x. In fact, I only shot one deer on a higher setting and that deer was close to 300 yards (the farthest out I'll go).

If you enjoyed reading about "Minimum scope magnification for distance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!