Stun Guns

PDA

Dimis
April 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
how do you tell if a stun gun is of good quality?
can anyone recommend a brand that is KNOWN to be reliable and of good quality
all of these claims of high voltage around 1 million volts etc are they really claiming the truth or is this manufactured numbers just for sales
and lastly is 1M volts neccessary? is there a limit to the usefullness of the voltage like 100k volts will do it and 100,001 and beyond is kind of a waste?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stun Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coyotehitman
April 21, 2009, 11:42 PM
can anyone recommend a brand that is KNOWN to be reliable and of good quality

I would not trust my safety to ANY "stungun". IMO, they are worthless.

If you must have a "bug zapper", consider a Taser.

There is a difference between the two.

Dimis
April 22, 2009, 01:18 AM
i know the difference between a taser and stun gun
but these things have been around for a while and there has to be a good one in the mix somewhere

Hungry Seagull
April 22, 2009, 01:39 AM
Taser C2 is where you need to start. It's both a probe fire weapon and when the cartridge is dumped becomes just possibly the most dangerous stungun I have ever seen in my life. And Ive had many over the years.

If you are to contact the unloaded Taser in a sort of a Nerve attack against one part of the Badguy's body you stand a good chance of inducing cardiac arrest.

zignal_zero
April 25, 2009, 11:19 PM
we "touch tase" eachother, at work, all the time. if you wanna rely on one, go ahead, but there are ALOT of people that they will not deter.

seriously, we weren't 2 miles down the road after completing the qualifications and being issued tasers, before we started sticking eachother with 'em. the small of the back is the worst place i've ever gotten hit.

they're alot more effective, if you leave the cartridge on and "probe" somebody, but "touch tasing" someone is really iffy, regardless of how many volts you're crankin out :-(

Hungry Seagull
April 26, 2009, 12:17 AM
Try the neck near the collarbone above the heart. We will see who stays awake eh?

zignal_zero
April 26, 2009, 12:40 AM
well, even if these two targets did GUARANTEE incapacitation (which i doubt), i wouldn't want to rely on a device limited to being used on those areas as my only SD tool.

DAVIDSDIVAD
April 26, 2009, 03:30 AM
seriously, we weren't 2 miles down the road after completing the qualifications and being issued tasers, before we started sticking eachother with 'em. the small of the back is the worst place i've ever gotten hit.

they're alot more effective, if you leave the cartridge on and "probe" somebody, but "touch tasing" someone is really iffy, regardless of how many volts you're crankin out :-(

Good to know those expensive cartridges paid for by tax dollars are being put to good use. :D

zignal_zero
April 27, 2009, 11:44 AM
DAVIDSDIVAD -

nah, man, the cartridges are all ACCOUNTED for. you have to take the cartridge off, then use it as a "touch taser" basically, a stun gun.

we don't (normally) shoot cartridges at eachother. not only are they close to 20bux each and ALL inventoried, but it just seems a little beyond innocent pranking.

when playing tag with tasers, the only (possible) money spent is the electricity from charging it.

i promise, buddy, we're not wasting the equipment the public has paid for. hell, i don't know how many time we've sprung for our own training ammo.

Coronach
April 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
"Stun Guns" of the touch type rely on pain compliance. IOW, they REALLY HURT. But that's about it.

Tasers that shoot probes rely on pain compliance and neuromuscular incapacitation. IOW, not only do they really hurt, they also severely inhibit (in most people, completely prevent) voluntary muscular action. This is a lot better than mere pain compliance.

Pain compliance can be fought through. Someone who is motivated, desensitized, or amped up on drugs can work right through that. Neuromuscular incapacitation cannot be fought through...your muscles simply don't respond.

However, there are some drawbacks:

1. The effect lasts as long as the Taser is being cycled. Once it's done, it's done. There is no lingering effect inhibiting action, besides the psychological effect of just having felt a lot of pain. When that puppy is off, the BG is at 100%, and quite possibly miffed with you.

The C2 Taser deals with this by having a 30 second (holy CRAP) cycle. You zap him and run.

2. Tasers in "drive stun" mode (where they are utilized like a stun gun, without the probes) behave just like standard stun guns. You have pain compliance, and that is it.

3. Taser cartridges do not always deploy properly.

4. The probes can get hung up on loose clothing or lose connection with the target, which will make the taser ineffective.

5. Reloads are slow and clunky, and you generally only have one on hand, if that.

I think the Taser is a great tool for someone who needs to apprehend a BG in a non-lethal-force situation. They are NOT a replacement for lethal force, either for the police or for the armed citizen.

Mike

hso
April 27, 2009, 01:12 PM
there has to be a good one in the mix somewhere

No there doesn't.

Use what the LEOs are telling you to use since they'd use what you want to use if it was effective.

Coronach
April 27, 2009, 03:06 PM
Exactly.

Stun guns are just pain compliance. Some hurt more than others, maybe, but none of them do what Tasers do in "probe" mode. Tasers don't do what Tasers do if you use them in "stun gun" mode- they do what stun guns do.

Ask any officer who has used a Taser any length of time if he thinks the drive stun is anwhere near as effective as using probes, or a close-quarters probe deployment (where you are close to the BG and shoot the probes into him, then drive the taser into them in a second location). He'll tell you that it's not.

Stun guns don't work. Tasers work.

Mike

BushyGuy
April 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
this is my favorite part...tasers are junk they wont keep a assilant down very long a stun gun will definitely drop them for 10 minutes or so if you hold it for 3 to 5 seconds the best stun gun is a Raptor 750k volt trust me that you wont be disappointed with cuz its been tested already best the taser hands down. i own a Raptor i sold my panther and Sabre they dont do nothing except piss someone off.

Panzercat
January 5, 2011, 04:36 PM
Thought i'd ressurect this topic rather than open a new one.

Really? I thought a stungun was more than simply pain; that it was rapid muscle twitch that expended a given group's energy quickly and thus immobilize the attacker, not just simply induce "pain compliance". What am i missing in that equation and why is the tazor mentioned her so much more effective?

And seriously, $25+ for a cartrige you have to register because they're "worried about its use in bank robberies" when a gun is by far easier to get? I'd be HAPPY if a tazor was all I had to face from a criminal...

If you enjoyed reading about "Stun Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!