boresnakes w/ CLP or universal cleaning kit?

PDA

dukefan70
April 22, 2009, 07:01 PM
Just have a 20 gauge and .45 for now, but wanted recommendations on boresnake w/ some cleaner-lube-protectant vs. a universal cleaning kit. From what I've seen, the boresnakes are 30 bucks at least and are caliber/gauge specific but are easier. But I can get a universal cleaning kit for 40 bucks. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "boresnakes w/ CLP or universal cleaning kit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chutchis
April 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
I don't really use my boresnakes for outright cleaning. I use the snakes to do a quick sweep of the barrel right after shooting (gets the big crud out before it hardens) and use the kit to do the real cleaning.

1KPerDay
April 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
If you can only get one get the full cleaning kit. Boresnakes are good for in-between, brush-up cleanings or after firing a few shots. But you need the full cleaning kit.

mfcmb
April 23, 2009, 06:51 AM
I use a boresnake (I've found them for less than $20), Eezox (general purpose cleaner, lube, anti-corrosion), gun brushes (nylon and bronze bristles, look like toothbrushes) and cotton cloth pieces (look like pieces of bedsheets).

LAK
April 23, 2009, 08:38 AM
Boresnakes are a handy field option; say on a hunt over several days of more, after each day of shooting.

Kingcreek
April 23, 2009, 10:50 AM
The cost of good maintenence is nothing compared to the cost of neglect.
Get what you need, get good stuff, use it.

rcmodel
April 23, 2009, 12:28 PM
Get the outers kit first.

To properly clean copper, lead, & powder fouling out of a barrel, you have to have a cleaning rod & patches & brushes. Brushes can get down in the sharp edges of the rifling groves where a Bore-Snake has never gone.

So, get a good cleaning kit w/rod first, then a Bore-Snake later when you can afford it.

They are handy for field use, but are in no way a substitute for a cleaning rod.

rc

GotAmmo!
April 25, 2009, 01:28 AM
I've seen bore snakes at wally world for less than $14

twolf811
April 26, 2009, 01:49 AM
Use my boresnakes and clp after each range visit.

If you enjoyed reading about "boresnakes w/ CLP or universal cleaning kit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!