Does a 9mm revolver exist?

PDA

whatever
April 22, 2009, 06:09 PM
I've just found the joy of shooting revolvers (I just bought a cheap .22 Taurus) and I'd love another revolver that is the same caliber as my other pistols.

Does a 9mm revolver exist? I've never seen one, but to be honest, I haven't looked too hard either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does a 9mm revolver exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
April 22, 2009, 06:15 PM
Taurus makes the M905 in 9mm and Smith & Wesson used to make one, but I don't recall the model. I'm sure there were/are others.

PotatoJudge
April 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, Taurus, S&W, and Ruger have all made 9mm revolvers in SA and DA. They command a premium because relatively few have been made and there are lots of people wanting them for the same reason.

I think Charter Arms is about to release a 9mm revolver.

Gelgoog
April 22, 2009, 06:20 PM
S&W 940

I have a performance center model chambered in .356 TSW ( 9x21.5) which will also shoot regular 9x19.

VA27
April 22, 2009, 06:29 PM
I had a S&W 940. Nice gun, except that the cylinder would lock up with +P loads.

tekarra
April 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
Here are some of mine. Two S&W 547s, S&W 940 and a pair of Ruger Speed Sixes. Other 9mm revolvers that I am aware of are Taurus and FN Barracuda (made by Astra). Charter Arms made the Pit Bull which used a 9mm rimmed cartridge. Chrater Arms has announced a new 9mm revolver, but it is not yet on the market.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/9mmRevolvers.jpg

kanook
April 22, 2009, 08:32 PM
don't forget the blackhawk with 9mm cylinder:D

Revolver Ocelot
April 23, 2009, 03:46 AM
Lets see here.....
s&w 940
ruger sp101 ( they can be hard to find but are cheaper then the 940)
the medusa model 47 revolver (will also fire .380, .357, and .38 speacial)
taurus 905
s&w 547 came in 9mm
and you also could probablly find an extra cylinder in 9mm for alot of the .38cal sa revolvers.

and ummmm this:
http://i41.tinypic.com/xkvf9t.jpg
Its a Nosorog 9mm AEK 906 Revolver, reminds me alot of the mateba model 6 unica, this one was available in 9x18 and 9x19 (prehapse by changing the cylinder)

Larry Burchfield
April 23, 2009, 06:23 AM
S&W made two types. One uses the moon clip system and an older model that had a little gismo that held the case. I've only laid eyes on one of the later.
Larry Burchield
SEABEES/RVN/67/68/69
DAV

jahwarrior
April 23, 2009, 07:01 AM
that Nosorog looks like something out of Bladerunner....i want it.

Revolver Ocelot
April 23, 2009, 07:08 AM
that Nosorog looks like something out of Bladerunner....i want it.

I've looked high and low and have yet to find one, evidently its a russian made revolver from the mid 90s, it was geared for selfdefense and the design included a barrel on the bottom of the cylinder to give better point of aim and aide in recoild (much like the mateba) neat revolver but I doubt I'll get to see one first hand anytime soon.

4Freedom
April 23, 2009, 07:11 AM
Why use a revolver for a 9mm round? Sees a bit strange, when 9mm semi auto pistols are usually as reliable and can hold a great deal more rounds. Sorry, Just curious.

Revolver Ocelot
April 23, 2009, 07:37 AM
Why use a revolver for a 9mm round? Sees a bit strange, when 9mm semi auto pistols are usually as reliable and can hold a great deal more rounds. Sorry, Just curious.

its cheaper to shoot and its more powerful then a 38 special (for this reason I only tend to find 9mm j frames with 5 shots to be practical, where the recoil of having a more powerful .357 is to much and the power of the .38 is to little.)

Brian Williams
April 23, 2009, 09:43 AM
You have not shot a 9mm revolver yet.
I have a 940 cylinder the fits into either a S&W 642 or a S&W 60 that I have. You can shoot just about any 9mmx19 and even shoot LSWC. You should see how fast one can reload with the short 9mms and moonclips. A short snub nose with a short ejector rod will fully eject a moonclip of fired 9mm very quickly. I would love to have an extra cylinder for a S&W 13 that was setup for 9mmx23 and moonclips. It would be almost as fast as a 45 acp revolver and still be as powerful as a 357mag yet carriable as only a k frame can do.

SDC
April 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
The Phillips & Rodgers M47 "Medusa" was a multi-calibre revolver that could chamber and fire just about any .38/.357/9mm/.38 Super round, including 9mm Luger, and they also sold conversion cylinders that would let you do the same with any L-frame S&W .357, but they're out of production now.
PS. Just as a sidelight, "Nosorog" means "Rhinocerous" in Russian.

ArmedBear
April 23, 2009, 10:28 AM
its cheaper to shoot and its more powerful then a 38 special

Cheaper to shoot is a moot point these days. Whatever I'm shooting, I'm loading myself.

More powerful?

If you can find a 9mm+P round that shoots a 158 grain bullet at well over 1000 fps from a 2" revolver, I'd like to know about it.

WC145
April 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
I carry a 9mm on duty and wanted a 9mm revolver for a BUG. Nobody makes (or has made) one that fit my criteria so I had a S&W 360J customized to meet my needs. It turned out super - super light (13oz), super fast to reload (moonclips), super versatile (can shoot 9mm, 9x21, 9x23, .38 Super), and super reliable. It's exactly what I was looking for, it is now my favorite carry gun.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/Sa1aoiSuLTI/AAAAAAAAAYo/pDJSbBroy8g/s720/SDC10436.JPG

ArmedBear
April 23, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm scared to ask how much the gun, laser and accessories cost, but that's a really neat setup. Love it.

chieftain
April 23, 2009, 11:31 AM
WC145

Nice weapon.

Who did you have do the work for you.

I presently have one of the old S&W 940's. It is the only all steel (well stainless anyway) 'J' frame I still have. My other two 'J' frame's are early 638 and a later 640. (Later don't mean no silly hole in the side plate to stick a key into either.)

Both airweights. I do like the option of lead bullets in 38Spl although I am now carrying the 110gr DPX Corbons. But as someone said early on, I like 9mm better than either 38spl or 357mag in a -2inch snubbie, and with the moon clips that little beauty reloads pretty fast, for me.

Some one above asked why 9mm. AS some have stated, I carry the 940 when all I am carrying is a 'J' frame or one of my Highpowers (Think 9mm). Otherwise if I am carrying one of the 1911's, I will, these days usually have the 642. My 642 has had a CTC laser grip the new 405 model IIRC. I recently did a class for snubbies. Had not done that since the early 80's. Anyway that laser worked very well with that gun. I shot much more accurately out to 25 yards with the laser. With the original sights that I still had on my 638, Learned something new because of that laser. I can now engage comfortably out to 25 yards with that little snubbie regardless of lighting now. I may be getting CTC lasers for the other two. Frankly if I was still carrying my S&W model 66 3" I think, since this experience, I would put some of those later model laser grips on that sweetheart too.

I figure if and when I have to transition to the snubbie, I am in really deep kimschie, and it will be used as a true 'belly' gun, contact range most likely, and I will keep pulling the trigger until I hear or feel click, click, click. If I do have to reload the snub, (I always do have at least one reload), things will have gone from down right terrible to "Aw S**T", and "tell mama to sell the Sh*TTER, cause I done kissed my ass Goodbye." territory.

Good luck.

Fred

andre73
April 23, 2009, 11:37 AM
Smith and Wesson Model 547 - 9mm Luger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpiBsEdbmw)

WC145
April 23, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'm scared to ask how much the gun, laser and accessories cost, but that's a really neat setup. Love it.

Thanks. The total was right around $1100 for the gun, the grips, and all of the work that was done on it. A lot of money for a snubby revolver but, for me any, it's well worth it.

WC145

Nice weapon.

Who did you have do the work for you.

Again, thanks. Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance did everything but the coating on the cylinder (Robar applied their NP3). He rechambered the cylinder, cut it for moonclips, and chamfered the holes. He also did an action job, bobbed the hammer, rounded and polished the trigger, and installed the fiber optic front sight. I did manage to install the grips myself.:D

kludge
April 23, 2009, 10:30 PM
pair of Ruger Speed Sixes

Ok, that's just not fair. :mad:

Nice pair!

Guillermo
April 25, 2009, 12:30 PM
I had a S&W 940. Nice gun, except that the cylinder would lock up with +P loads

I think the last part of that statement would make the first part inaccurate.

Hawaiian
April 25, 2009, 03:37 PM
Taurus 905.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Hawaiianone/Guns/Taurus-TF.jpg

hatchetbearer
April 25, 2009, 07:42 PM
charter arms rimless revolver (CARR) is supposed to come out sometime this year, first in .40 cal then .45 and 9mm following. as far as i can tell it works by having a second extraction star slightly rotate against the case rim while the rod is pushed in and retracts when it releases, letting the rounds fall free. it will also fire .380 rounds. genius idea really, and my reason for wanting a 9mm revolver, (and a .45 acp revolver) is not having to buy another cartridge.

harmon rabb
April 25, 2009, 09:41 PM
charter arms rimless revolver (CARR) is supposed to come out sometime this year, first in .40 cal then .45 and 9mm following. as far as i can tell it works by having a second extraction star slightly rotate against the case rim while the rod is pushed in and retracts when it releases, letting the rounds fall free. it will also fire .380 rounds. genius idea really, and my reason for wanting a 9mm revolver, (and a .45 acp revolver) is not having to buy another cartridge.

if it'll fire 9mm luger and 380, it'll also fire 9x18 i would think. very interesting.

No, 9x18 is tooooo big, ADDED by Brian Williams

PotatoJudge
April 26, 2009, 12:02 AM
9x18 is a .363 diameter bullet. 9x19 and 9mm Kurz (.380 ACP) are .356 diameter.

rmuzz
April 26, 2009, 12:53 AM
I had seen 9mm revolvers while browsing around online before, but hadn't really heard much about them from anyone. I enjoy my 4" 19-5, but considering future ccw options. The idea of a 9mm revolver never bit me, but reading this thread has me rethinking that a little bit... they sound pretty handy. I don't think I would mind one :)

Johnboy53
April 26, 2009, 01:25 AM
Here is a 686 that I had rechammered to the 9mm and super8. It takes moon clips and a joy to shoot.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/stevie53/Picture55555007.jpg

Jim K
April 27, 2009, 05:54 PM
Aside from the "just for the helluvit" factor, the main users of 9mm revolvers were a few (mainly foreign) police departments which wanted revolvers as a PR gesture - they were thought to look less threatening - but also wanted the free 9mm ammo they could get from the military.

Those multi-caliber revolvers are a solution in desperate search of a problem; they are novelties pure and simple, and never really were intended for any serious purposes.

Jim

Walkalong
April 27, 2009, 06:22 PM
Here is a 686 that I had rechambered to the 9mm and super8.
A 586/686 in 9MM, now that would be cool. What does it take to do, another cylinder?

tekarra
April 27, 2009, 08:14 PM
Walkalong,

Sounds good to me.

lanternlad1
April 27, 2009, 09:09 PM
I had a S&W 940. Nice gun, except that the cylinder would lock up with +P loads.

That's why I sold mine. The Smith 940 wasn't rated for +P 9mm loads. Easier to get a Smith 640 (.357 mag) or a 642 (.38 +P)and have it re-chambered for 9mm, then there are no problems when shooting +P. On the plus side, the 940 had the sweetest trigger I'd ever shot on a j-frame.

Still waiting on the Charter CARR, tho.
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CARR.html

Iansstud
April 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
six maybe seven rounds.... why not get an Auto, you get 2x the ammo and reloads are faster. The ammo was designed to be shot from an auto...

bhp9mm
April 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
I have a smith 940 and a ruger sp101 9mm there is a few gun smiths that u can send them ur 38 or 357 are sometime and get it turned in to a 9mm

WC145
April 28, 2009, 12:37 PM
Those multi-caliber revolvers are a solution in desperate search of a problem; they are novelties pure and simple, and never really were intended for any serious purposes.

This statement should be in the dictionary as a shining example of opinion.

six maby seven rounds.... why not get an Auto, you get 2x the ammo and reloads are faster. The ammo was designed to be shot from an auto...

Because an auto doesn't fit every need, capacity isn't everything, and the gun doesn't care what kind of ammo it is as long as it fits and it can handle the pressure.

Brian Williams
April 28, 2009, 03:00 PM
six maybe seven rounds....5 maybe 6 rounds more like it.
why not get an Auto,No mag to loose, no slide to jam in my pocket
you get 2x the ammo and reloads are fasterO, really, Google Miculek.
The ammo was designed to be shot from an autobut it works real well from any 4" barrel(cylinder and barrel = about 4 inches)...
Besides I like revolvers and moonclips

Hutch
April 28, 2009, 10:14 PM
from Iansstud six maybe seven rounds.... why not get an Auto, you get 2x the ammo and reloads are faster. The ammo was designed to be shot from an auto...Not to be snooty, but for those that like 'em, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation is sufficient. I have a 940, a 547, 2 x 625's, and a 25-2. I jus' likes 'em.

Peter M. Eick
April 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
I shot a S&W 547 a few times and it worked well. I wondered why it never took off.

jmorris
April 29, 2009, 04:32 PM
I shot a S&W 547 a few times and it worked well. I wondered why it never took off.

"In the late 1970's, the Israelis wanted to arm the Palestinian Police force with a 9mm handgun, but didn't trust them with an autoloading pistol. Instead, they wanted a simple-to-use a revolver chambered in 9mm (and by "simple-to-use", they meant "no-moon-clips"). They contracted with Smith & Wesson to make it for them. "

from http://www.vintagepistols.com/range_report_S&W_547.html

I think a moon clip version would be better.

The The ruger convertable 357/38, 9mm is an inexpensive option. There were also some made for the 9mm "auto rim".

Jim K
April 29, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hi, WC145,

Of course it's opinion. So is about every other post in this thread, including yours.

Jim

easyg
April 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have a Taurus 905 9mm snubbie and I think that it's just great.

george29
April 30, 2009, 03:51 PM
WC145, thanks for the picture and info.

tom327
April 30, 2009, 10:33 PM
There are a couple of things that (theoretically) would affect the accuracy of a revolver designed to shoot .357 and modified to shoot .355 (9mm)--the extra room in the barrel, and the extra room in the cylinder from shooting a shorter cartridge.

Have any of you who modified guns (there have been a couple posted here) noticed a degradation in accuracy?

Johnboy53
May 1, 2009, 03:30 AM
If you reload it is easy to use 357 dia bullets, then you don't need to stock two sizes.

4Freedom
May 1, 2009, 06:41 AM
You have not shot a 9mm revolver yet.
I have a 940 cylinder the fits into either a S&W 642 or a S&W 60 that I have. You can shoot just about any 9mmx19 and even shoot LSWC. You should see how fast one can reload with the short 9mms and moonclips. A short snub nose with a short ejector rod will fully eject a moonclip of fired 9mm very quickly. I would love to have an extra cylinder for a S&W 13 that was setup for 9mmx23 and moonclips. It would be almost as fast as a 45 acp revolver and still be as powerful as a 357mag yet carriable as only a k frame can do.

OK I AM SOLD... Where can I find the 940 cylinder for S&W 642. I never wanted a .38 anyway. I have a 9mm pistol and would love to share the ammo and get rid of the .38 stuff. But my S&W 642 is nice because its lightweight and fights in my pocket perfectly, has a hard trigger and is hammerless, making it ideal for pocket carry. Can I find one of the cylinders on gun broker that would be compatible with my snubby which is rated for .38 special?

rudolf
May 1, 2009, 06:50 AM
Have any of you who modified guns (there have been a couple posted here) noticed a degradation in accuracy?

I found the Ruger Blackhawk to be more precise with .357 than with 9mm, with 9mm still giving good accuracy, but .357 being better.
Using 9mm, the blackhawk has the right cylinder but the "wrong" barrel.

WC145
May 1, 2009, 10:52 AM

No appreciable difference in accuracy out of my gun with the 9mm versus .38spl self defense loads. Of course I'm generally shooting it at 15yds and under, if there is any big difference it might show up further out.

glockdude57
May 1, 2009, 12:05 PM
charter arms is bringing out a 9mm this summer go to charterfirearms.com they have info on it

BHP FAN
May 1, 2009, 06:24 PM
''I had a S&W 940. Nice gun, except that the cylinder would lock up with +P loads...''
me too.I still wish I hadn't of sold it.As for it being the solution to a non-existent problem,it fit in an ankle holster and made a decent back-up to a BHP back before most of the compact wonder nines came out.

Noxx
May 1, 2009, 09:40 PM
I hate you all, now I have to have that Nosorog. A brief search shows me that it's not going to be an easy purchase.

thesecond
May 1, 2009, 11:12 PM
4F: I don't think you can install a 9mm cylinder on your own, unless it's the Ruger convertible. There's a custom shop called Pinnacle, ask mod Brian Williams about it (he's in this thread, and I'm sure he'll refer you to the proper site). They modify the existing cylinder in a Smith j-frame or Ruger SP101 (steel cylinders only) or do the same in a K/L frame. $200-300, last I checked.

With higher-pressure 9mm rounds, and nothing, design-wise, to attenuate felt recoil, I'd just get a .357 (bigger payload by a few grains). But I'd think harder about the modification if I could stuff a moonclip into a Glock or Sig. :)

Johnboy53
May 5, 2009, 10:25 PM
Mark will set you up, all you have to do is ship your cylinder to him and you will have a 9mm, 38 Super and 9X23 that you can shoot in her.

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/index.asp

grimjaw
May 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
The Ruger SP101 9mm was neat, IMO, but ultimately not my cup of tea. I keep thinking I want a Blackhawk convertible in .357/.38/9mm, but I never seem to acquire one.

http://grimjaw.net/guns/sp1019mm.jpg

Iansstud
June 18, 2009, 01:11 PM
Brian Williams:

Quote:
six maybe seven rounds....5 maybe 6 rounds more like it.
why not get an Auto,No mag to loose, no slide to jam in my pocket
you get 2x the ammo and reloads are fasterO, really, Google Michlick.
The ammo was designed to be shot from an autobut it works real well from any 4" barrel(cylinder and barrel = about 4 inches)...

Besides I like revolvers and moonclips

Wow coming from a Moderator.... Thats cool. 1st of all how old are you? "O' really Google Michlik" Im not sure what you are implying but if you are trying to say I'm a mall ninja or get my facts from google, (edited by taliv)

I thought this was the highroad but Ill stoop to your level!

so a new member askes a question he hasent looked into I say 1 thing, and it becomes YOUR thread!! and YOU think YOU can call people out!

harmon rabb
June 18, 2009, 01:23 PM
i predict ownage

taliv
June 18, 2009, 01:41 PM
iansstud, I think you're wildly overreacting here.

I think Brian meant "google miculek" as in Jerry M. who is famous for doing sub-second revolver reloads. he wasn't saying you get your facts from google (not a bad thing anyway) or that you're a mall ninja. He was just responding to your post, not calling you out

Jorg Nysgerrig
June 18, 2009, 01:49 PM
I had the opportunity to shoot a box of ammo through a 9mm SP101. While that's not much experience, I found it easy and enjoyable to shoot, with more than acceptable accuracy.

easyg
June 18, 2009, 02:12 PM
9mm revolvers are just too cool!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5676.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5678.jpg

SDC
June 18, 2009, 02:18 PM
What is that interesting load for the Taurus you've got there, easy? I don't recall seeing one like that before.

Brian Williams
June 18, 2009, 03:29 PM
I think Brian meant "google miculek"
sorry not michlick.
And yes some good info can be found on the web, also look for the youtube vid about the guy who can reload a Semi really really really fast.
Wow, that was more than a month ago.

Jorg Nysgerrig
June 18, 2009, 03:36 PM
SDC, I think those are the Hornady Critical Defense loads.

meanmotorscooter
June 18, 2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/CARR.html

http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/carr1.gif

Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR) will be available late Fall 2009!

Charter Arms announces an affordable revolver that chambers rimless semi-automtic rounds the same way as a standard rimmed-cartridge revolver.

Now the average gun owner can own an affordable, trouble-free revolver chambered in these popular semi-auto rounds without the need for specialized ammunition clips and a specialized gun.

With the patent-pending Charter Arms Rimless Revolver Round System a round is loaded into the chamber and a specialized spring engages the cartridge’s ejector groove. When the cylinder is opened and the ejector rod operated, it extracts and ejects the fired cases.

Available Calibers

Charter Arms will first offer the .40 S&W followed by the .45ACP and 9x19 mm Parabellum (the 9mm Parabellum revolver will also chamber factory .380ACP). All three Rimless Revolvers (9mm, .40 and .45) will be rated for higher velocity +P loadings.

Warranty

As with the other Charter Arms revolvers, the CARR has an industry exclusive lifetime warranty.

dullh
June 18, 2009, 09:14 PM
I, too, have a 9mm revolver - a Ruger Speed Six. I love it.

RUT
June 18, 2009, 09:50 PM
>>I, too, have a 9mm revolver - a Ruger Speed Six<<

As do I, although I'll probably never shoot it. I should probably sell it in favor of something more "useable". :)

SDC
June 18, 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Jorg.

easyg
June 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
What is that interesting load for the Taurus you've got there, easy? I don't recall seeing one like that before.
SDC, I think those are the Hornady Critical Defense loads.
Yep, Jorg got it right.

Hornady Critical Defense.

AJChenMPH
September 24, 2009, 04:12 AM
Bump -- came across this thread while searching for info on 9mm wheelies. Amazing, the search function actually works! :neener:

FWIW, the Charter Arms site is now reporting early 2010 release for the CARR...

ETA: out of curosity, what holsters fit a Taurus 905? I.e., are there equivalent guns I can use while searching on various vendor sites? Thanks...

Brian Williams
September 24, 2009, 09:15 AM
Any J frame holster will fit for a Taurus 905.

funkychinaman
September 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
Generic musing regarding the CARR: how would you reload it quickly? It obviously can't use moonclips. Does anyone make speedloaders for 9mm? Will speedloaders work for a rimless case?

GunTech
September 24, 2009, 12:00 PM
For those who like the Nosorog, and made reference to the Mateba, here you go. Not 9mm, but it looks neat.

http://guntech.com/mateba/mateba-4.jpg

Brian Williams
September 24, 2009, 01:22 PM
Speedloaders from a Model 10 will work.

funkychinaman
September 24, 2009, 03:42 PM
Don't Model 10's have six rounds? This is only five.

Brian Williams
September 24, 2009, 04:38 PM
oops, I was thinking about the newer taurus with six shots like a Colt Detective Spec.
A J frame should work, I have tried to put 9mms into a K frame speedloader and they worked.

AJChenMPH
September 24, 2009, 08:22 PM
Any J frame holster will fit for a Taurus 905.
Awesome, thanks...

AJChenMPH
September 25, 2009, 06:45 PM
Bump -- sorry, one more question: would the 905 (and any other 9mm revolver) be able to fire .380 ammo? The verbiage from the Charter Arms ad above says the CARR will be able to shoot it, but was just wondering about others. Thanks, sorry for all the newb questions...

Brian Williams
September 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Why, when 380 is so hard to find now? Yes, it would work.

AJChenMPH
September 25, 2009, 07:12 PM
Interoperability. My current pistol is a Browning BDA-380, so I plan to continue feeding that, but my planned carry gun is a G26 (once we move to PA over the next couple of months). I suspect that a .380 round would also recoil less, so I may be able to convince my wife to shoot it for practice as well. (I'm going to order 1200 rounds from Cabela's and just have them ship it when it comes in sometime in 2011...)

Thanks...

rogertc1
September 25, 2009, 07:16 PM
My stainless Taurus 905 even takes the S&W moon clips...

DBR
September 27, 2009, 02:41 AM
A question for Brian Williams:

If a 38spl cylinder is converted to 9mm isn't the free bore case diameter not bullet diameter?

If so, doesn't this cause a lot of blow by before the bullet engages the actual bullet diameter bore at the throat of the cylinder?

Brian Williams
September 27, 2009, 07:24 AM
My Cylinder is not a converted 38 cylinder but a 9mm cylinder from a S&W 940. It has a long freebore but it is still fairly accurate.

WC145
September 27, 2009, 09:18 AM
A question for Brian Williams:

If a 38spl cylinder is converted to 9mm isn't the free bore case diameter not bullet diameter?

If so, doesn't this cause a lot of blow by before the bullet engages the actual bullet diameter bore at the throat of the cylinder?

I'm not Brian but I can answer your questions, I have a 9mm that was rechambered from .38spl.

1. Yes, up to the original .38 head spacing shoulder, beyond that it is still the original .357" or whatever the factory diameter is. My gun was rechambered to 9x23, which has a short case length than a .38spl, so the original headspacing shoulder is still there but slightly beveled.

2. Yes, there is some blowby that results in a small amount of velocity loss compared to a cylinder originally chambered for 9mm but it isn't bad. The only reason you know it is happening is that you can see the soot on the outside of the fired cases. It is most noticeable with 9mm's, less so with .38 Super and 9x23 Winchester.

In addition to being rechambered, I also had the forcing cone on my gun chamfered slightly to clean up some burrs. Maybe that allows the projectile a smoother transition to the barrel/rifling after the jump through the freebore area of the cylinder, I don't know, but, in my hand, my gun shoots as well as it did with .38's. In my experience the theory that .355" bullets out of .357" barrels are going to be wildly inaccurate just isn't true, particularly at the short distances that snubbies are designed for. The people making these claims are basing them on math and not experience.

DBR
September 27, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the info.

One benefit of free bore is a significant reduction in peak pressure.

NMGonzo
September 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
Get a .357 revolver.

Vive la diversite!

Tacoma
September 27, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, you guys got me to thinking. I have a spare cylinder in 38 spl that came out of a 638. Maybe i should have it set up for 9mm.

p.s. Do have a moonclip fed SP101 3" in 9mm. Very cool and enjoyable gun to shoot.

AJChenMPH
September 27, 2009, 09:44 PM
My stainless Taurus 905 even takes the S&W moon clips...
I've read the S&W moonclips hold the rounds better than the Taurus Stellar clips...

Do you carry a reload when you CC/OC? If so, how do you carry the moonclips?

WC145
September 27, 2009, 10:10 PM
I've read the S&W moonclips hold the rounds better than the Taurus Stellar clips...

Do you carry a reload when you CC/OC? If so, how do you carry the moonclips?

The S&W moonclips are far superior to the Taurus Stellar clips (they're anything but stellar!). The S&W clips hold the rounds firmly and they don't fall out, unlike the Taurus clips. I always carry at least one reload, sometimes I'll just drop a loaded moonclip in a pocket but I usually carry two in a prescription pill bottle, there is a size that holds two loaded moonclips perfectly. I also have a S&W 646 .40 S&W revolver that I just started carrying, I found a nylon cell phone pouch that holds two moonclips fo the 646, it's handy on the belt without being too obtrusive.

AJChenMPH
September 28, 2009, 02:58 PM
Awesome. Where's a good place to get S&W moonclips? Or should my local gun shop carry them?

WC145
September 28, 2009, 03:28 PM
Awesome. Where's a good place to get S&W moonclips? Or should my local gun shop carry them?

I've bought mine directly from S&W and haven't had any problems with them, although you may find that they are a little too thick for your Taurus. Ranch products makes some 940 style moonclips out of a slightly thinner metal than the S&W version, you can order them direct from Ranch but be specific so you get the right one. Both brands may require a little file or dremel work for them to fit over the Taurus ejector star properly, it is shaped slightly different than the S&W.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=61521&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=16232&training=

http://www.ranchproducts.com/

AJChenMPH
September 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
Dude, you da man. Thanks!

Brian Williams
September 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
Ruger Moonclips hold even better than S&Ws.

AJChenMPH
September 28, 2009, 05:19 PM
Was it the Ruger moonclips that I read about that are really tough to strip?

Didn't seem them just now on the Ruger website...?

This thread gets an "excellent" rating from me! *grin*

Brian Williams
September 28, 2009, 06:37 PM
They are easier because they have a ring around the outside. Lay the ring on something and the round just presses out.

bhp9mm
September 30, 2009, 06:05 PM
i have a smith 940 2 ruger speed six in 9mm both ss one is like new in box and 2 sp101 9mm one is new in box and 3 smith 625s 45acp i like the moon clip guns

RobO9mm
October 1, 2009, 02:29 AM
I think I've solved my dilemma about which gun to buy. My wife wants a Bersa 380, I want to add a Taurus 905 to my other 9's (Kel Tec PF9 & Ruger P95). I'll just get her the Bersa, then I'll get the Taurus 905. Problem solved! You can never have too many guns...

tekarra
October 1, 2009, 08:36 PM
bhp9mm,
Show some photos.

bhp9mm
October 5, 2009, 01:51 AM
here is the new in box sp101 9mm made in 1993

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=1000

AJChenMPH
October 5, 2009, 06:24 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiice. Let us have first crack if you ever decide to unload it (or any of the others). ;)

tekarra
October 5, 2009, 09:01 PM
bhp9mm,
Here are some of mine; 2 547s, 2 Speed Sixes and a 940. Lousy photo though.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/tekarra_photo/9mmRevolvers.jpg

WC145
October 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
Love those Speed Sixes!!

AJChenMPH
September 2, 2012, 01:57 PM
Bump for an old thread -- just came across this:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pitbull_79920.asp

Looks like the old "CARR" finally made it to market...

If you enjoyed reading about "Does a 9mm revolver exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!