Ruger SP-101....Nice Trigger.

PDA

Phydeaux642
April 22, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have decided that I am going to pick up another gun to teach my sister how to shoot seeing how she has a friend of a dozen years that is basically turning into a stalker. She has tendonitis in her right arm which causes some strength issues, so, I was trying to find something with a decent trigger that she wouldn't have trouble with. I think I can rule out a semi-auto since racking the slide is a bit of a chore for her. If she could do that I would use something that I already have.

The revolvers that I carry are Airweight J-frames and the recoil would be brutal for her or I would use one of those. So, I thought the SP-101 might fit the bill. The gun has a hammer if she wanted to shoot SA and have a lighter trigger. I wanted to try the DA to see how it compared to my Smiths and I was surprised. What a really nice DA trigger. I hate to say it, but it might be better than my 642s. I think she might be able to shoot it DA instead of SA. And, with the extra weight of the gun recoil shouldn't be a problem. If she likes it and can shoot well with it it will become hers. It's nice enough that I'd like to have one for myself, though.:D

I'm probably going to trade one of my Saiga 7.62x39s in for it, but I'm still debating that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SP-101....Nice Trigger." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
April 22, 2009, 09:22 PM
An SP101 is on my short list of what to buy next. I've really liked the ones I had the pleasure to shoot.

Rexster
April 23, 2009, 09:27 PM
Recent SP101s I have handled have had triggers that put the keyhole J-frames to shame, and are comparable to current K/L Smiths. I bought a 3-1/16" last month, that is SWEET!

The quite smooth 2.25" SP101 I bought two years ago was a clue, and handling several recent Rugers, from 4" Redhawks on down, has confirmed that SOMEBODY at Ruger has learned to really turn out a good, smooth action. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SP-101....Nice Trigger." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!