308 Federal match - how to replicate?

PDA

Lovesbeer99
April 22, 2009, 10:22 PM
What's the recipe to replicate Federal Premium 308 168gr Sierra Match bullets.

So I know what type of bullets to buy and I have cases but what I need is...

Powder type and charge weight
Primer
Trim to length
COL

If you enjoyed reading about "308 Federal match - how to replicate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
45ACPUSER
April 22, 2009, 11:06 PM
You need to forget it! They use non canister grades of powder. You need to chrono the FGM, and then work up a load that matches the velocity. NO FREE LUNCHES!

Martyk
April 22, 2009, 11:32 PM
Trim to length you can measure.

Ridgerunner665
April 22, 2009, 11:50 PM
A hint or two...
IMR 4064 (I believe Federal once used this powder in their FGMM 308 loads, they don't always use non cannister grade powders)...It may have been IMR 4895, not sure which to be honest but 4064 has always been more accurate for me.

I use Reloder 15 for my target loads, which are more accurate than FGMM ammo in my guns.

Don't try to push them to the max...around 2,600 fps is all you need.

Schleprok62
April 22, 2009, 11:53 PM
Find the velocity... then tear one apart, weigh the powder... cross reference the powder weight and velocity to the data in your manuals. That's about as close as you're going to get. Tinker a little here and there...you will find something that works as well, if not better....

bullseye308
April 23, 2009, 12:54 AM
Last summer my Rem 700 ate these like candy:
LC cases
CCI 34 primers
44.5gr Varget
case trimmed to 2.022
OAL to 2.789
SIE 168 HPBT
I did not have a chrono at the time, so no velocity, but it shot one ragged hole averaging .9" at 100 all day long(10 RDS). Part of that was the shooter, with a better shooter it did tighten up to about .6".

These were safe in my rifle, may not be in yours, yada yada, yada. :D

Bart B.
April 23, 2009, 01:53 AM
People have been trying to duplicate various match ammo rounds for years. Virtually all of them never hit the mark. They worry too much about the "exact" velocity the maker claims they get with it but never get the "exact" barrel interior dimensions for bore, groove and chamber. So, they're already barking up the wrong tree, but not sounding like the right dog and may well be in a different stand of trees. The most accurate .308 ammo was never a duplicate of what Federal produced. All of it was a little bit to a whole lot different.

For what it's worth, when the .308 win. was "the" cartridge to shoot in highpower matches, IMR4064 was the most accurate powder used for 168 through 190 grain bullets. For Federal or Winchester cases,they used 40 or 41 grains with the 168 for 200 and 300 yards, 42 or 43 with the 180. For 600 or 1000 yards, 42 grains of IMR4064 was very popular in the thin walled WCC cases from the late 1950s, but only 41 grains in normal weight Winchester or Federal cases.

In no instance was there a concern with the muzzle velocity the bullets left with. Most folks had barrels with .300" bores and .308" grooves (some were a bit smaller) which is tighter than most factory barrels. Standard SAAMI chambers were used for their full-length sized cases. The milder primers worked best; Rem. 9.5, RWS 5341 and the Federal 210M was a bit hotter but did well. They all shot those same loads very accurate under 1/3 inch at 100 yards and under 4 inches at 600.

If your barrel and chamber dimensions are different and you load to a velocity supposed to be what the match ammo had in its test barrels, you will have a load quite a bit different than what the ammo maker used. Especially with different lots of powder, primers and cases.

To say nothing of the fact that one person can have up to 80 or 90 fps difference in the muzzle velocity they get with the same rifle and ammo as someone else. If the factory ammo was tested in a rail gun or rifle clamped in a machine rest, it's velocity with the test lot will be different than what us humans get shooting our rifles atop bags on a bench top.

So forget muzzle velocity requirements. Develop a very accurate load for your shooting objective, then get zeros for the different ranges you'll use it at. Don't try to make your bullets win a race to the target but instead make all arrive at the same place.

Jim Watson
April 23, 2009, 09:36 AM
I am not a good enough shot to tell a difference between 4064, Varget, and Re15 in .308.

Unfortunately, I CAN tell a difference from AA2520 which is a pity because it is a ball process powder and meters so precisely as to make loading it a lot easier than crunching the sticks. But is is noticeably less accurate with any load tried in MY rifle, so I got one of those automatic weighing dispensers for Varget.

Nanook
April 23, 2009, 01:13 PM
Here is a load I picked up from somewhere, and it works very well in my Savage rifle.

42.5 Grains RL-15
Federal 210M primers (good luck finding them)
Match brass of your choice
Sierra 168 Grain Match Kings (good luck finding them)

This is extremely accurate. It just seems to fit my particular rifle. Thank goodness I saw what was coming, and put back a number of primers and bullets.

Just about every online vendor is back-ordered on bullets, primers, and powder. I checked last night.

tjj
April 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
Bart B
You get an A+ for that essay. You should write a book. Maybe you already have.

Nanook
You been looking at my range book. That's about my identical load for my Rem 700 5R. You can substitute Nosler 168 HPBT competition bullets too. The ogive length is nearly identical to the 168 SMK.

45ACPUSER
April 23, 2009, 08:05 PM
Find the velocity... then tear one apart, weigh the powder... cross reference the powder weight and velocity to the data in your manuals. That's about as close as you're going to get. Tinker a little here and there...you will find something that works as well, if not better....

Very Poor Advice! You will never know what powder it is, and what some reloading manual used may have been in NON Federal cases. Pretty darn dangerous advice!

Chrono some FGM in your gun, and the work up a load to get you in the neighborhood. Federal Brass Sucks... get some WW or Lapua!

If you enjoyed reading about "308 Federal match - how to replicate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!