What's the best way to clean cosmoline off an SKS?

PDA

Kestrel
October 13, 2003, 05:49 PM
The stock is clean, but the rifle itself needs to be cleaned. Should I use brake cleaner?

Thanks,
Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best way to clean cosmoline off an SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe Demko
October 13, 2003, 06:14 PM
Mineral spirits work quite well. So does a scalding Simple Green solution.

Snowdog
October 13, 2003, 06:17 PM
A little elbow grease and plenty of paper towels, Q-tips and Mean Green and you'll have all the cosmoline off in short order.

Being primarily a collector of military surplus, I've had my share of experience with the stuff. It's nasty but not all that bad. With most everything else, it takes patience.

Have fun.

jrhead75
October 13, 2003, 07:19 PM
I use brake cleaner, and soak the small parts in a galvanized bucket. This is a good method if you don't want to/can't disassemble the bolt (you need to get the firing pin channel squeaky clean). Simple Green and mineral spirits are also good for cosmo. For the stock, I heat the wood for 1/2 hour in a 170 deg oven (no hotter or longer) to "sweat out" the cosmoline, then rub it down mineral spirits. I've also found that Murphy's Oil Soap wipes works really well, and is easy on the finish. Just make sure you wipe it down after with a soft, dry cloth.

Note: don't use brake cleaner on the wood!

Hkmp5sd
October 13, 2003, 07:30 PM
Gun Scrubber is good for blowing out all of the small, tight areas.

Okiecruffler
October 13, 2003, 08:38 PM
What's with all the cosmo questions lately? Is there a sale I don't know about?

If it's just the metal parts, I would use old rags and a good heat source. Get it hot enough and it just runs off.

BamBam-31
October 14, 2003, 01:38 PM
Brake cleaner, Gunk Out, Gun Scrubber, all work well for metal parts. Some soak all metal parts in gasoline, but I've never tried it.

Purple Power works well on the wood. 50-50 PP and hot water, plunk the wood down in the bucket and start scrubbing with synthetic steel wool (kinda like a brillo pad). Let dry for a few days, slap on a few (maybe several) coats of BLO, and you're good to go. Rifle will look good as new.

You can also use the steam trick to raise any dents in the stock when it's still wet.

Do a search. Lots of info on it here.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
October 14, 2003, 02:27 PM
WD-40 works pretty well too----------spray it on and let it soak for a while----lots of paper towels or old t-shirts will be needed.

blfuller
October 14, 2003, 03:04 PM
Kerosene works well too. A metal oil change pan and an automovite parts cleaning brush with kerosene in the pan.

Caliburn
October 15, 2003, 12:37 AM
Paint thinner

Sleeping Dog
October 15, 2003, 07:46 AM
For the metal, I use hot tap water and Simple Green. Then if there's any grease left in nooks & crannies, I blast them with brake cleaner.

All grease will be gone, so you have to put something on the metal to protect it. I use "RIG" (Rust Inhibiting Grease).

Tropical Z
October 15, 2003, 10:10 AM
Mineral spirits is the safest of all these choices as you dont have to worry about getting it on this or that.Just use chemical resistant gloves,vinyl or rubber wont do.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best way to clean cosmoline off an SKS?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!