Hey all

PDA

Zecho
April 23, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have been stalk... err.. lurking for a bit, and now am in a position where I could use some advice.

I have a Savage .243, Harris bipod, 6-24x50 scope blah blah blah. Around $1200 invested after the custom camo paint job.

Anywho, I've been looking to trade it for a wheel gun and have had a couple of offers this week and am not sure which way to turn.

First offer is for a Brand Spankin New Ruger GP100 357 6" barrel, still in the case with all of the stuff that gets stuffed in a box (paperwork, receipts etc.) and the full warranty card.

Second is a S&W 629 .44 with 8 3/8 barrel, pretty much same cosmetics. Just a little older and without the paperwork.

Now, if I go to W.Va and hunt bear, I would think I would prefer the 44, but considering I hunt here, in Oh, and for the most part I bow hunt, I would say the 357 would suffice.

So, the caliber doesn't matter that much to me as I will be using this for HUNTING (not shooting, I got enough of the sport of shooting growing up on a Texas farm). I like to hunt. and carrying around a shotgun full of slugs isn't hunting to me. I'm more interested in something I can climb a tree and wait, or stalk if I feel the urge. And if the occasion arises to go gun hunting bears, I can always pack up the AR and take it (yet I would rather take my bow).

So, opinions on which is more of a "hunter" I suppose, and which is a better deal I guess are my questions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jbkebert
April 24, 2009, 12:16 AM
The Smith is worth a little bit more than the Ruger. Either one is not worth the price vested in your rifle. I am also a bowhunter and would rather do that than any other form of hunting. I also however handgun hunt and would opt for the .44 over the .357. I use my Smith 29 or Ruger Super Redhawk for deer and hogs. In my personal opinion the .357 is a little light for medium sized game.

Zecho
April 24, 2009, 12:23 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'd be much happier if someone would come off of a Blackhawk or a nice Vaquero... But I don't see that happening.

calaverasslim
April 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
I suspect if your willing to get up off the $1200 price tag a little you may get what you want. In today's economy, that is a chunk o change to put out for a hunting rifle.

You may find a Blackhawk of the cal of your choice for around 400-450. I would seriously consider the 44 Blackhawk with either the 4.63" or the 5.5" barrel. then you would be set with what your looking for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hey all" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!