Odd question regarding Colt Cobra

PDA

Dr. Fresh
April 24, 2009, 05:20 AM
I got my Cobra for cheap, and here's why:

It has threading on the inside of the barrel, taking up about one inch from the muzzle back, so it's got very little intact rifling. It has a 2'' barrel, BTW. The threading throws the bullets all over the place past 7 yards. It's OK for point-blank defense, but I want a more functional firearm.

How difficult is it to replace the barrel on a Cobra? Is it even possible?

BTW, the dealer told me it was used as a movie prop or something, and was fitted with a fake suppressor. Makes about as much sense as any other reason to thread the inside of a barrel. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Odd question regarding Colt Cobra" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
April 24, 2009, 05:32 AM
Go to http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ and look up the Colt Cobra. If its a later model with the shrouded barrel or an earlier one with the plain barrel they seem to have some in stock for around $70.

You need to have a gunsmith install the barrel as they need the right tools to avoid damaging the frame.

Another option would be to talk directly with Colt and see if they don't have the part and what they'd charge to replace the barrel.

Dr. Fresh
April 24, 2009, 05:39 AM
Very cool. Thanks a bunch. I dunno why I didn't think of doing this earlier. Haha

GoodKat
April 24, 2009, 07:33 PM
lol suppressed revolver.

I suppose the cylinder locks to the forcing cone before each shot then? hahahahaha

dfariswheel
April 24, 2009, 08:18 PM
Colt will no longer do barrel work on the aluminum framed Colt's due to a tendency for the frame to crack.

If you have it re-barreled, pick your gunsmith VERY VERY carefully.
I recommend Cylinder & Slide Shop.

Dr. Fresh
April 26, 2009, 12:54 AM
lol suppressed revolver.

I suppose the cylinder locks to the forcing cone before each shot then? hahahahaha

LOL quite the opposite. I laugh every time I see a suppressed revolver in a movie.

Colt will no longer do barrel work on the aluminum framed Colt's due to a tendency for the frame to crack.

If you have it re-barreled, pick your gunsmith VERY VERY carefully.
I recommend Cylinder & Slide Shop.

Where are they located?

dfariswheel
April 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
Where are they located?

Here:

Cylinder & Slide, Inc.
245 E. 4th Street
Fremont, NE 68026
(402) 721-4277
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

C&S is a world class custom shop, so prices will be a higher, and turnaround may be slower, but the quality of work is absolutely top of the line.

Dr. Fresh
April 27, 2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Odd question regarding Colt Cobra" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!