rifle forum split?

PDA

jim in Anchorage
April 24, 2009, 05:30 AM
I am not trying to pit gun owners against each other here[silly,but I have my reasons to believe it may be suggested] but should the forum not be split into semi-auto/other sections? The reason I bring this up is I may spot some thing I am interested in"just got a .358 norma" whatever and by the time I get back to it its on page 3,buried under SKS vs AR vs AK posts and of course no responses because it's off the chart. Just a thought.

If you enjoyed reading about "rifle forum split?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
April 24, 2009, 05:46 AM
There is a number of possiblities for forgoing the inconvenience you mentioned.

Master the search feature. I've found threads about 1911 modifications by recalling that somebody, somewhere in the thread used the word "farce" (or something like that) before. Once you know how the search feature works, you can find anything you want with even the most miniscule bit of information.

Create a "Favorites" folder in your web browser, organize them by date, add any pages you're interested in. Once you're no longer interested in older ones, delete the old ones. They'll be either at the bottom or the top thanks to the click you made to organize them by date.

Post your opinion/suggestion/etc. in the threads which interest you. Click on your name when you return, go to "See more posts by "jim in Anchorage" and they'll all be right there.

Etc.

jim in Anchorage
April 24, 2009, 06:04 AM
Yes I have done that but right now look directly below this thread. It was over under but I bumped it. the tactual posts are overwhelming.

Rubber_Duck
April 24, 2009, 06:05 AM
Post your opinion/suggestion/etc. in the threads which interest you. Click on your name when you return, go to "See more posts by "jim in Anchorage" and they'll all be right there.

I aleays post in threads that interest me, so this is how I do it.

ijosef
April 24, 2009, 06:10 AM
I guess they could really ruffle some feathers by splitting off a forum dedicated to AR/AK/SKS models and calling it the "assault rifle" forum.

jim in Anchorage
April 24, 2009, 06:19 AM
I did not use that phrase. Please read my original post.

jim in Anchorage
April 24, 2009, 06:30 AM
I give up.

Titan6
April 24, 2009, 06:59 AM
I think you have a good point. This is a very busy forum. Logical splits to me would be:

- Rimfire rifles
- CF Semi-auto
- CF All other type actions

Saying you want change and making the change there is lot of space between the two.

vicdotcom
April 24, 2009, 07:18 AM
Where would lever actions fall?

jim in Anchorage
April 24, 2009, 07:22 AM
Saying you want change and making the change there is lot of space between the two.

I don't know if that is something you put on every post,or directed at me specifically,but I have tried. I do not run this forum,and am sick of:banghead:on this issue.

hinton03
April 24, 2009, 07:56 AM
I started a similar discussion a few months ago on the shotgun page. I was trying to sew interest in a thread on sporting shotguns and 80% of the people responding were talking about the latest do-dad on there 870 home defense gun......they just couldn't resist. I have nothing against interest in tactical guns, but my primary interest are hunting and marksmanship.

What I did get by posting the suggestion of splitting the shotgun interest area into sporting and tactical was a long list of useful links to other forums that were dedicated to the sporting shotgun; so it was useful in the end.

jim in Anchorage
April 24, 2009, 08:10 AM
I started a similar discussion a few months ago on the shotgun page. I was trying to sew interest in a thread on sporting shotguns and 80% of the people responding were talking about the latest do-dad on there 870 home defense gun......they just couldn't resist. I have nothing against interest in tactical guns, but my primary interest are hunting and marksmanship.

What I did get by posting the suggestion of splitting the shotgun interest area into sporting and tactical was a long list of useful links to other forums that were dedicated to the sporting shotgun; so it was useful in the end.

Thank you for understanding my point.

madcratebuilder
April 24, 2009, 08:26 AM
I think Jim was a good point, after all, the hand gun section is split revolver and pistol. CF, semi auto and all other would be a good choice.

All other, unless it was a CF, then it would be CF.

JWF III
April 24, 2009, 08:37 AM
I have to agree, I'd like to see this change. But I'd like to see the forum broken into...

-Modern SA
-Mil-Surp
-Sporting

Mt reasonings for breaking it down this way are personal (and selfish, I know). But milsurps are my mine attraction in rifles, with sporting being second and modern SA being way behind each of those.

Or instead of milsurp, it could be C&R.

That's easy enough to answer. They're not semi auto, so...

Under Jim's suggestions- Any other
Under Titan's suggestions- Rimfire or CF other (depending on cartridge)
Under my suggestions Sporting or C&R (depending on age)

Wyman

JShirley
April 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
Also see the 2 April thread re this in this forum...

John

Titan6
April 24, 2009, 11:17 PM
The problem with a "sporting" category is that rifles and shotguns can be sporting like the Enfeild my wife uses to hunt with that are also Milsurp or home defense such as the M1 Carbine my father in law uses for HD.

Along those lines though I guess if it split into categories built around purpose then you would have cross uses. I mention the action as a split because that is how the handgun forums are split.

shotgunjoel
April 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
They seperate handguns into general, revolvers, and autoloaders. Why not do something similar with the rifles??

hinton03
April 25, 2009, 05:17 AM
I think it would be better by function, sporting and tactical.

That way rifles that are being used for tactical purposes can go in the tactical forum and the same rifle being used for sporting purposes can go in the sporting forum (e.g. 700 XCR Compact Tactical, Rock River Coyote, etc.). This would make it independent of action type, origin, caliber........

Art Eatman
April 25, 2009, 09:59 AM
Way too much overlap in rifles, as compared to handguns.

Guys hunt with SKS rifles, and dress up hunting rifles with "sniper" or "tactical" stocks. Or ask about home defense with .22 rimfires.

Then you get threads about scopes for all types of rifles.

MMCSRET
April 25, 2009, 10:12 AM
Lets keep it simple and break it down by bore diameter of original chambering, even allowing sub categories for varying bores, as in 38-55; subbed in .375,.376,.377,.378,.379,.380,.381.etc. That way there would be no overlap and indecision on the posters part as to where to put his entry. Just think how easy it would be with 270 or even 7MM, 30 caliber would be a pleasure to moderate. Help!!!!!!some body stop me, I'm obviously out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bikerdoc
April 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
MMCSRET,
LMAO. Now go take your medicine!!!

Titan6
April 25, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think my original suggestion would work best P#8 (no bias really :)). I did not really support that position well though.

- Rimfire rifles are probably the largest category of ownership right now. Rimfires are ubiquitous and cover a broad range of functions and only come in few (most all are .22RF) calibers. The issues and proposed purposes for one type of .22 rifle is likely very similar to another even if the weapon design is entirely different. The conversations would also tend away from those involved with longer range rifles with heavier bullets and more power.

- Semi-auto rifles present a very large and growing category and if they are not already the largest will be soon. Semi-auto owners tend to lean more towards tactical and HD/SD.

- Other action types lean more towards hunting, target shooting, sniping and milsurp. Most owners that own a non-semi action of one type tend to own several different types of actions (just what I have seen from the surveys on the board and MPE). The same is not always true of semi-auto owners.

Certainly there is cross over but I imagine that the SKS shooter is likely not an accuracy freak and that the 1903 Springfield collector could give a hill of beans about the latest gadget you can stick on an AR rail. Just my $.05.

JShirley
April 25, 2009, 07:29 PM
the 1903 Springfield collector could give a hill of beans about the latest gadget you can stick on an AR rail
Well, that's an interesting point you mention, but there was a thread within the last few days debating AR-15 vs. 1903 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=445235).

Now, should such a thread fall into:

a bolt action forum;
a semi-auto forum;
a target-shooting forum;
a milsurp forum?

When folks post their OMZGwhatgunforTEOTWAWKI?!!!!1 threads and 47% of the responses say "AR-15", 28% say "get an AK platform", 14% say "an SKS is the best choice here", two people say "Mini-14 for the win!" and I and three others say "a sturdy bolt-action makes a terrific disaster rifle", what forum should we be be saying this in?

jim in Anchorage
April 25, 2009, 08:07 PM
You're going to get some hard to classify,sure but but most are going to be obvious. I would go same as handgun-semi,other,and general for the what gun for this purpose type posts.

JShirley
April 25, 2009, 08:28 PM
If you divide by action type, you're looking at at least three forums, plus general. (Who really believes that the MOST popular centerfire action type- bolt- should be relegated to "other"?!")

I really don't think we need four rifle forums. Perhaps much more so than handguns, most of us think multiple rifle types are suitable for multiple roles. I often suggest a CZ 527 7.62x39mm (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=15) for a general purpose rifle for those who don't live in areas with large dangerous game. Yeah, that's a bolt-action. And I think it's a pretty good home defense piece, with decent expanding ammunition.

Even if you believe bolt-actions are too slow for HD/"militia" type use, almost everyone agrees that slide-action and lever-action are fast enough. And there are examples of every rifle type that are accurate enough for target use.

In short, comparing what has been done in handguns is not very useful, because handguns are very different than rifles. There are TWO commonly encountered handgun types. There are at least FIVE commonly encountered rifle types, and as I just pointed out, all but one may reasonably be suggested for some uses. Not at all an apples-to-apples comparison, and the application of the suggestion is one that is likely to have adverse effects, in acting to stratify and separate us as a group.

John

Art Eatman
April 26, 2009, 06:21 PM
And I'm happy with the world as it is. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "rifle forum split?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!