Removing Primer issue

PDA

kestak
April 24, 2009, 05:12 PM
Greetings,

I just got quite a few of those (like 20%) and I wonder is there is not something I can do to prevent/correct that:

When I push out the primers from the 223 cases, the bottom goes out bu the sides stay in the primer pocket. I could understand if the primers were crimped, but those are not because the brass is PPU.

Any way to prevent that?
If not, any way to remove the remaining of the primer?
Is it worth the effort to remove the remaining of the primer of I am better to discard the brass?

Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Primer issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 24, 2009, 05:17 PM
Must be some sort of defective primer cup.

I don't think there is any practical way to get them out without running the risk of primer pocket damage.

Might maybe try re-seating them hard before depriming.

If the cups are stuck with some kind of corrosion or sealer, maybe that would pop them loose enough to come back out in one piece?

Probably not though.

Never ran into that so far in 50 years of reloading.

rc

Jim Watson
April 24, 2009, 05:23 PM
What is PPU brass?

Any road, I think it is a sign the brass was chemically cleaned and the primers corroded in place.

It is not unknown, mass production commercial reloading equipment includes "ringer detectors" to keep such cases from going to the repriming step. But 20% is a huge rate. I have not seen more than three or four in my 40 years.

You might could get the rings out with the right diameter easy out broken screw remover or a broken tap remover. Might not, though. Labor would be high per case saved.

Mal H
April 24, 2009, 05:24 PM
Just to double check - you are getting only the torn off flat end of the primer (and probably the anvil) when you deprime the cases? The cylindrical wall of the primer remains in the pocket? You must have to push very hard to do that. Sometimes primer pockets of some cases look like the primer wall is still in there, but it isn't. You're positive that's not what you're seeing?

If it is what's happening, then you should probably discard the cases. Getting the remainder of the primer out would be difficult and not worth the effort and the reason the primer stuck in it in the first place could still be there; corrosion for example.

If they were less than popular cases, where you can't get them by the hundreds at most ranges, I might try to salvage the cases, but not for .223.

kestak
April 24, 2009, 05:28 PM
Greetings,

I'll double check that what I see is really what I see. You are putting some doubt in my mind now. Maybe it is just appearing that way.

And no, I did not have to put more force than usual. In fact, it sounds the force was less....

Thank you

kestak
April 24, 2009, 05:38 PM
Greetings,

Ok, I took a close look and could not say with certitude if it is the primer sides or a crimp. So, I took a small screwdriver and with a hammer I tried to separate the primer side from the pocket and I was not able to do it really.

I tried to insert a primer in another of those "problematic" case and I could not get it into at all.

I took another look and if it was a crimp, I would see it do an edge and under it would be going back (like a roof and the veritcal wall...) but it is all straight...

I am puzzled....

Thank you

Mal H
April 24, 2009, 05:51 PM
Did you look in your primer catcher to see if you have the same number of primers as the number of cases you deprimed? Or if there are some primer remnants in there? There should be some evidence external from the cases themselves as to what is going on.

rcmodel
April 24, 2009, 05:52 PM
A GI crimp is very hard to see with the naked eye.

Take one, ream the edge with your chamfer/deburring tool, and see if you can seat a new primer in it.

If you can, it is a crimped primer pocket, not a broken primer cup.

And Mal is right.
If they are breaking, your primer catcher should have a bunch of disks & anvils in it, not complete fired primers.

rc

kestak
April 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
Greetings,

You got the same idea I got. The primer was going out completely, so it is a crimp. I picked up some other brass PPU that I did not process yet and I noticed the primer pocket looked different with the primer in it. There was some red around and it seemed deeper. It was not, just the brass was crimped.

Hehehe..I guess I am pretty dumb..It took me almost 4 hours to figure that out.

Thank you

Black07GT
April 24, 2009, 09:28 PM
I was having the same issue. 80% of my brass is PPU. I started useing a Lyman universal decapping die Part# 7631290. I haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Chawbaccer
April 24, 2009, 10:52 PM
Does it look like this? The one on the left is a crimp.

http://home.comcast.net/~duck911/primer2.jpg

kestak
April 25, 2009, 06:31 AM
Greetings,

Yes! Exactly like the one on the left.
I will try to use my deburr/chamfer tool to trim the edge and see if I can get away of buying a pocket primer swagger.

Anyone can tell me if it can do the job or it will create other issues?

Thank you

ar10
April 25, 2009, 07:30 AM
What is PPU brass?

Prvi Partizan, 31000 Titovo, Uzice, Yugoslavia

I've run in to the same thing with .223 brass, not many but a few. I didn't bother to look at the head stamp, I just tossed them in the scrap bucket. I used the universal de-capping die from Lee and what happened is it punched the bottom of primer but left the side wall stuck in the primer pocket, the cases looked fine with no bulges or splits. I have no idea what causes it but it would be interesting to see what someone comes up with.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Primer issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!