problems with lake city brass

PDA

dub
April 24, 2009, 05:43 PM
i just started reloading .223 and im having problems seating the primers in once fired lc brass does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

If you enjoyed reading about "problems with lake city brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
Military primers are crimped in place.

You have to remove the crimp before you can prime them again.

Reaming or swaging are the two accepted methods to remove the crimp.

Your reloading manual should have covered that in detail!

rc

MissouriBullet
April 24, 2009, 05:57 PM
Well, if you haven't removed the military crimp from the cases, you're certainly missing an important step. A very loud (and surprising!) bang is in your imminent future if you don't remove the crimp.

There are several ways to do this, one being the Dillon pocket swager, which is what I use. Others have their preferences.

dub
April 24, 2009, 06:03 PM
i got my reloading setup used and it was sans manual. i have been doing more research into reloading but, i have always loaded new brass and i have not run into this problem before. i think i will order a new manual. thanks for the help.

SlamFire1
April 24, 2009, 09:38 PM
I cut out a lot of .223 pocket crimps with the spay blade of a stockman's knife.

http://www.ebladestore.com/images/blade_spey.gif

Then I got the Dillion de crimping tool. If you are doing 5 gallon buckets of brass, the Dillion is worth the money.

If not, a pocket knife is cheap.

doubs43
April 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
RCBS also makes a swaging set to remove primer pocket crimps. I've been using mine for over 30 years.

AirplaneDoc
April 24, 2009, 10:44 PM
Your reloading manual should have covered that in detail!

The manual for the press will not cover the need to remove the crimp from military brass. A Loading Manual should be in the future (past actually) as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "problems with lake city brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!