Need help with SMLE

PDA

Arcticfox
April 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
I found a wire wrap SMLE no1 Mk3 for sale for $143. It is made in India.

I looked for the "EY" stamp meaning emergency use, but did not see one. Could not find a date of manufacture either.

There was a stamp of "CF" in a few places.

Can anyone tell me when the Indians started to manufacture these? Is this likely to be post WWII? Is $143 a good price for this specimen?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with SMLE" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arcticfox
April 25, 2009, 07:19 PM
Ok, found out Ishapore started manufacturing in 1909. Can anyone help me find the date of manuf? I didn't see anything obvious.

Eric F
April 25, 2009, 07:24 PM
is it a 308 or a 303?

Arcticfox
April 25, 2009, 07:31 PM
is it a 308 or a 303?

I wasn't savy enough to know they made 308, so I didn't look.

Arcticfox
April 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
is it a 308 or a 303?

Ok. its a 303. I know this because the bottom of mag is rounded.

Sunray
April 25, 2009, 11:41 PM
"...to know they made 308..." Yep. Called a No. 2A Mk III. Mid 60's. Used by Indian Police now. They're not conversions though. Made new with better materials than the .303 No. 1's.
No date on the socket under the bolt handle? A 'GR' stamp under the bolt handle?
Look at the barrel's condition.
Wire wrapped No. 1's are for launching grenades. Also used as line throwing guns by the Boat People(RN, RCN, etc). Could have been made at any time. Not likely to be post war though.

Arcticfox
April 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
So, the date should be stamped under the bolt. I don't remember finding it there. Is there another place to find a date stamp?

Does anyone know what the CF stamped on the stock stands for?

Grenade Firing (maybe its a GF?)

Canadian forces?

Central forces (Indian Govt?)

Jim K
April 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
IIRC, only rifles with badly worn barrels were relegated to grenade launching (and wire wrapped), so I would pass on that rifle if you want to shoot it. It would have a place as part of a collection of SMLE rifles.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with SMLE" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!