What's Going On With The Ruger LCR?

PDA

BruiseLee
April 26, 2009, 05:31 AM
I just got my new Ruger 2009 catalog and noticed the LCR is now missing from the line up. Did Ruger find a problem with them like the LCP and the SR9? None of my local gun stores have them. I'm perplexed!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's Going On With The Ruger LCR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dimis
April 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
no they just printed the catalogs before the official release date so it was ommitted untill next year (in the catalog)
a few LCR are SLOOOOWWWLY creaping onto the market mainly in the midwest and on gunbroker.com
but if you live on the east coast as i do it may ba a long wait unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for one (some on gunbroker have reached 1500+)
im desperatly waiting to handle and hopefully shoot one before i make my mind up on buying one but im VERY interested in it i need a new CCW and i think it would be a great gun for that

Boarhunter
April 27, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have one and, trust me, the LCR will be well worth the wait.

Boarhunter

matt_s07
April 27, 2009, 04:34 PM
I've seen one, and watched it be sold. It was the laser grip model. They sold it for 650 or so. I just don't know how I feel about the polymer frame.

Boarhunter
April 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
matt_s07,

Shoot one before you draw any conclusions. The light, smooth trigger and apparent reduced recoil will make you forget its novelty and ugly looks.

Boarhunter

Pork Fat
April 27, 2009, 05:00 PM
Remember when there were waiting lists for PT Cruisers at the Chrysler dealerships and people were paying thousands over retail to be one of the first?

I wonder what they think of that now.

I just don't get spending a premium for what is destined to be a mass market, popular gun.

CoRoMo
April 27, 2009, 05:02 PM
Has it been recalled yet?

Dimis
April 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
HaHa Porkfat yea i remember the PT rage and thank god thats over those things are junk

UGH

im personaly tired of reading this about the LCR
yes the SR 9 and the LCP have been recalled and im sure various others from ruger through the years
i really doubt that this REVOLVER will get recalled tho most the recalls are for the autos...

that is if i recall lol

M'bogo
April 28, 2009, 03:03 AM
Well when you are batting .666% with two of the last three handguns being introduced being recalled, folks tend to take notice and remember. Lets just hope the folks at Ruger were taking notes as well as the gun buying public was.

M'bogo

C-grunt
April 28, 2009, 06:34 AM
My shop had a few and they said they sold really quick. I didnt see them though. One of the guys was very impressed with it. He said the trigger pull needs to be felt to believe.

Husker_Fan
April 28, 2009, 09:39 AM
I pray that the entry of the LCR on the market helps bring down the price of all J frame sized revolvers. A little competition in this area will be a very good thing.

hardluk1
April 28, 2009, 06:13 PM
All the folks that want one should just figure that there will be lots of problems and go on and buy something other than a ruger, right. Then maybe some of use can get ours quicker

KBintheSLC
April 28, 2009, 06:58 PM
I've seen a few on the the local classifieds between $500-$700. I'm going to wait a while for the honeymoon phase to go away so I can pay what its worth... maybe $400. Im not too concerned about a recall as much as I am about getting raped on price.

Marshall
May 4, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well,

One nice thing is, Ruger has a propensity to go overboard on revolver build quality so I assume they have the same mindset here. 5 hundred bucks, I might pay, anything over that, I'll pass.

SwampWolf
May 5, 2009, 04:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my new Ruger 2009 catalog and noticed the LCR is now missing from the line up.

When you say "now missing", it implies that there was a previous Ruger catalog that displayed the LCR. Was there one that did?

Capt Marvel
May 5, 2009, 05:05 PM
Over the years, I have come to like Ruger firearms, in general. They have managed to produce quality at a reasonable price.
Local dealer did not speak highly of the LCP, stating he felt the KEL-TEC P-3AT .380 was a better buy. I have never seen or fired either of these weapons and was not impress with the reputation of KEL-TEC in general. Seems price of the KEL-TEC has made it popular with many local "gansters".
Sometimes "cheap" does not mean poor quality. I have a Jennings .22LR that after cutting a coil off the recoil spring it preforms flawlessly with CCI "Mini Mags". Better than a sharp stick or being unarmed.

====
When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.
Viet Nam era Marine Corps saying

KBintheSLC
May 5, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have never seen or fired either of these weapons and was not impress with the reputation of KEL-TEC in general. Seems price of the KEL-TEC has made it popular with many local "gansters".

Sorry, off topic, but I have to disagree... Kel Tec has an very good reputation despite the occasional lemon... they make good guns at affordable prices that are backed by a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. On top of that they are made here in the USA.
Read a bit more, and maybe shoot one before you judge. I have two of them, and they have a valid place among my pricey, exotic imports and luxury domestic pieces.

CuzinMike
May 5, 2009, 07:32 PM
I finally had a chance to see one at a local shop, but it was for display only, and not for sale (owned by an employee I believe). All I know is that the trigger pull on the thing was absolutely incredible for a snubby. It seemed much lighter than my 642. After the honeymoon is over and prices recede on these things, I'll seriously look into picking one up, assuming reliability is not in question.

Animal Mother
May 5, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have never seen or fired either of these weapons and was not impress with the reputation of KEL-TEC in general.

My Kel-Tec is flawless when I pair it with the proper ammunition. I really like it and I am not a "gangster." Don't be so quick to judge, as there are many people who would think the same thing of your Jennings.

Capt Marvel
May 5, 2009, 10:05 PM
It seems I have offended afew on my KEL-TEC comments. You would have thought I had said something about their wife or the Marine Corps.

Excuse me guys, I am an old fart, will be 73 this year, but been a competive shooter most of my life. Starting with the rifle in the USMC in the 1960s and as a bullseye pistol shooter with the USAR, in the late 70s.

I love older Colt revolvers and older S&W revolvers plus my 1911A1. Nothing finer than a match Garand rifle.

So if it is blue steel, has a walnut high figure stock it's for me. Plastic doesn't turn me on even if it is on an M16.

bdg146
May 5, 2009, 10:38 PM

Read this (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=445537) thread and try and find someone who's had an equally bad experience with any of the recent Ruger recalls. Keep in mind some of those pistols were sold in 2002. That's 7 years ago. Flame Ruger all you want, but their recalls have been timely and well managed. They deserve credit for identifying the issue, being forthcoming with it, and fixing it quickly.

RippinSVT
May 6, 2009, 02:57 AM
Checked one out at the local shop today. Honestly, i was impressed. SMOOTH trigger pull, extremely lightweight, great ergonomics. It was like $725 with Lasergrips. They have another coming next week as a test gun, and I will fire it and draw some more conclusions.

bloodline
May 6, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't understand all the comments on the trigger pull. i handled a few at SHOT and I found it strange and sort of annoying.

this coming from a guy with a 340sc on his ankle with custom action...

jaholder1971
May 6, 2009, 11:43 AM
Saw one at the local shop, liked it except for the $525 price tag.

Great guns, but when I can get a new Smith J frame on sale at Cabela's for much less $$$. I'll get one when the newness and price wear down.

jaholder1971
May 6, 2009, 11:52 AM
Saw one at the local shop, liked it except for the $525 price tag.

Great guns, but when I can get a new Smith J frame on sale at Cabela's for much less $$$. I'll get one when the newness and price wear down.

Sam1911
May 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
Seems price of the KEL-TEC has made it popular with many local "gansters".

Wow! I've been duped, then, because someone told me that felons can't buy guns legally and probably aren't paying retail. Fool me once...

So what did the local gang member you know tell you they liked about the gun besides the price? And how popular is "popular?" Are these gangsters you're interviewing carrying Kel-Tecs MORE than Glocks, per se, or less? By what ratio? I don't know any gansters, so forgive my ignorance...

What if some of those folks who like Kel-Tecs because they are inexpensive are just poor? The might not be real gangsters at all, and that would skew the data. Do gangsters carry credentials?

-Sam

(Just "funnin'" :D)

MagnumDweeb
May 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
I've never bought a handgun for more than $400 for a handgun and those three times I paid were for a Ruger Redhawk 7.5", Ruger Redhawk 4", I got the Ruger Super Blackhawk for $200(granted an estate sale by a nice little old lady who wanted her deceased husband's gun taken care of and appreciated). Oh and I own two Ruger P90s(one I got just for my fiancee, she just loves shooting the P 90 model so much I got one for myself for only her to use), and a Ruger P89(which most of my students for my NRA First Steps Pistol like to use when I introduce them to 9mm, over the Taurus PT 92 or Norinco Tokarev 213 9mm).

I'll likely skip the LCR though, as much as I enjoy Ruger (I also own three S&W .357 magnums) because I'm into not carrying anything lighter than a 2" .357(yes I carry and practice with magnum loads in my snubbies). Instead I'll either go with SP 101 3" or Taurs 605 3" , dependent on price for my next CCW. Now if I see one sitting in my local pawnshop's display cabinet and I'm still making really good money in the stock market and with my classes, and it's $350 or cheaper(being used) than I might pick it up as one of those 'go anywhere with it' guns if it's the ight size, if it's close in size to the 642 than I'll probably get it. DAMNN!!! I was only going to get another three handguns and call it quits with retail regular guns. Oh well, as long as I have the money.

GEM
May 6, 2009, 06:43 PM
Saw an LCR with a CT used for sale. Wonder if the poor folk who bought are in the dreaded divorce sale or other financial disaster. In the mid 500s.

Big Daddy Grim
May 6, 2009, 06:45 PM
Tried it don't like it just my opinion but well thats it.

Capt Marvel
May 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
Reference to my remarks on "ganster"firearms..... I have two sons in law enforcement. Many shooter friends in law enforcement. My comments were made as a result of information from local armed 'gang members' busted.

Common method of guns on the street is "dead man FFL". ATF rules require a Zeroxed copy of FFL be given when a dealer makes a buy. One FFL some white out, a zerox machine and suddenly we have hundereds of phoney FFLs if not thousands. A trip to anyone of the hundereds of retailer / distributors and a roll of cash and walk out or have shipped to the address on the FFL (a rented property).

So at $400 to $600 a pop not to many S&Ws or Colts are hitting the street. But cheaper $100 to $200 wholesale guns leave room for profit. Same is true of SKS vs AR-15.

Add that to what ever the bad boys can steal and you get a decent view of the bad boy arsenal.

Point here is few of the bad boys are target shooters. Also the 9mm is the status symbol. Problem is until you start looking at balistics, you find out the 9mm is little more than an auto loading .38 special.

While my weapon of choice is the 1911A1 .45 ACP. Auto loaders (mechanically) can't take the chamber pressures wheel guns can. Yes, yes I know there are exceptions. Start looking at the big bore revolvers from the 1873 Colt on.

A concealed carry weapon is a matter of personal choices. The 2 inch .38 snubie proably wins hands down. I will choose a 6 shot Colt over a 5 shot S&W. But 2009 S&Ws and Colts are not the same quality the same companies were producing 40 years ago.

BruiseLee
May 7, 2009, 03:54 AM
"Well when you are batting .666% with two of the last three handguns being introduced being recalled, folks tend to take notice and remember.

M'bogo"

Actually, I have to give Ruger some credit for having the courage to recall their products. There are a lot of Beretta Tomcat owners like myself who would love to have Beretta recall the Tomcat, and fix its frame cracking issue at the factory's expense like Ruger does.

I would have to say Ruger takes better care of their customers than Beretta does. Just do a search on the Tomcat and you will see what I mean.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's Going On With The Ruger LCR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!