357 Snub, Which one??

PDA

Captain Kyle
April 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
I want a small 357 for ccw. I want the fit and finish to be nice and i want a fairly light DA trigger.

I like the fit and finish of the taurus 617, however i think the trigger pull is a little much.

Another thing, hammer vs no hammer. Pros and cons.

Anyone know of anything simillar in size and preformance. Please nothing really hard to find, some guns are hard to come by now a days. :cuss:

I will add a poll later with some of the pistols yall recommend.

Thanks allot!!!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "357 Snub, Which one??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlayGlock
April 26, 2009, 07:14 PM
Ruger sp101, all of the newest production that I have handeled have reaaly nice triggers, the older ones were a little rough to be sure. They are very solid and dependable.

KevininPa
April 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
..........better DA then go with a Smith. My 686 is so light it's scary(yeah, I know it's not a snub). I have two Taurus 605s and their trigger in DA mode is a little heavier, but manageable. What I don't like about them is that with range use, they might lock up till they cool down, mainly with.357s. I'll start a thread on this soon. Those are also new, so some wear with some snap caps is in order. My wifes blued one is already wearing in nicely.

sigbear
April 26, 2009, 07:34 PM
Another one for the Sp101. I got the 3" barrel because I only carry it a couple of times a year stoked with Fed. 180 gr. hard cast ammo when hiking. I traded my S&W titanium 12 oz. .357 mag for the Ruger, and am very happy I did.

Sigbear

Pistol Toter
April 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
Forget about Taurus!!
S&W will generally have a little better trigger. But probably more expensive than a Ruger SP101. A few hundred round and some dry firing will have the Ruger as smooth as the Smith out of the box. I carry the 2.25" SP101 every day and have for 7+ years; on my hip as I type. The SP is too heavy for pocket carry but heavy enough to handle the recoil of full house .357's. I handley carries IWB or OWB. I use a pancake made by Bianchi about 99% of the time and have another Bianchi IWB for deep concealment and an additional Clip-On IWB that is made by Bagmaster for fast and easy applications. AS I said I have the 2.25" and know a fellow that has the 3" gun and both carry equally well. If I were to buy again it would be the 3.062 version; not that I'm a bit disappointed with the 2"er. The SP101 gets my vote.

THE MACHINIST
April 26, 2009, 08:10 PM
taurus 617 total titanium 7 shot 2 inch barrel 6 ports. stout recoil, very loud, dangerous as hell , i cut 2 coils of the mainspring. reliable shooter.

Old Fuff
April 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
The best advice you'll get from me is...

Don't buy any small, light 357 Magnum snubby until you try it, or one like it, out first! ;)

If you come up with the line, "Well I can shoot .38 Special's in it..." don't bother with the .357, and buy a .38 Special instead. Otherwise you will have to always be scrubbing out the chambers, which can get to be a chore, and a real pain if you pick a model with a titanium cylinder.

April 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
I carry a Taurus 605 everyday. Shooting a lot of rounds through it and a lot of dry firing, the trigger is as good as any Smith or Ruger I have ever shoot. .38 spls at the range are very managable with some .357 just so I remember how they are.

Glockman17366
April 26, 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm with Old Fuff....357 Magnum in a snubby isn't a good option...not in a small frame revolver. Try before you buy or you never shoot it, or sell it in rapid order.
I have a Ruger SP101 (3.06" barrel), but I don't consider it a "small frame revolver". It does handle .357 Mag rounds pretty well.

Also, the OP mentioned a "light trigger". Not such a good idea in a carry gun, if that's the intended use.

So, my recommedation is a Taurus 85 stoked with .38+P rounds.

herbie1
April 26, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have tried a 2.5" .357, and with full loads shooting it is unpleasant to say the least. I my opinion, given the recoil, volume, muzzle flash, and loss of power out of a short barrel, the .357 is not the best platform for a snub.

H.

Iggy
April 26, 2009, 08:52 PM
Like Ol Fuff says. A small frame .357 is not a fun gun.

A steel J frame 38 is a reasonable option.

If you insist on a .357, look at medium frame models, you'll be glad you did.

wankerjake
April 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
+1 for a Ruger SP101. I love mine. I tried an S&W 642 and a model 60 and the sp101 was by far my favorite.

fire65
April 26, 2009, 09:10 PM
These guys think a 357 Snub Nose is great. :p

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=282173

Captain Kyle
April 26, 2009, 09:35 PM
I forgot to mention, this will be a shooter. I need something that will take the abuse of many trips to the range.

harmon rabb
April 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
why shoot a snub at the range a lot? that's just not that fun. i shot .357 out of a j-frame and my hand didn't really appreciate it.

ArchAngelCD
April 26, 2009, 09:50 PM
IMO if you want a J frame size .357 Magnum buy a S&W M640 or M649. I own a M640 and it's a great shooter.

Captain Kyle
April 26, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm not very recoil sensitive :D I'm a 200 pound dude and I've got some golfer hands, some of y'all will know what I'm talking about. I can handle it :)

Iggy
April 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
Get a Ruger or a K,L, or N frame Smith.

You may be tough, but you won't have much fun pumping rounds down range with a small framed .357 snubbie.

Your golf game will suffer if you insist on shooting a Mag snubby a lot.:evil:

Guillermo
April 26, 2009, 10:29 PM
I hate super light 38 snubbies...(but love big boomers like 44 magnums...go figure)

My carry snub is a steel framed Colt 38 (Detective Special). In addition to enjoying shooting it I shoot it very well.

My idea of hell includes being forced to shoot a light 357 snub.

I too am a couple of hundred pounds but would not consider the purchase that you are contemplating. I STRONGLY suggest that you do what has been suggested and shoot before you buy.

That is good advice even if you like the catagory of firearm that you are considering.

wankerjake
April 26, 2009, 10:30 PM
I forgot to mention, this will be a shooter. I need something that will take the abuse of many trips to the range.

Ruger Sp101

why shoot a snub at the range a lot? that's just not that fun. i shot .357 out of a j-frame and my hand didn't really appreciate it

I think my SP101 is my favorite range pistol right now. I have a hogue monogrip that really helps with managing recoil. I love shooting .357's out of it.

10-Ring
April 26, 2009, 10:46 PM
I don't like 357 magnums out of lightweight snubbies -- for that reason, I like the S&W 640. Now, if lightweight guns are what you're looking for, the 642/442 are really nice options

andre73
April 27, 2009, 02:10 AM
I like mine...

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9BEP0Ug-I)

:)

ArchAngelCD
April 27, 2009, 02:24 AM
andre73,
Nice video but where's the photo of the target? :uhoh: :D

Guillermo,
I agree with your post, that's why I recommended the M640 or M649 instead of the M340. Those super light Magnums are just too much to shoot well. (IMO of course)

Oro
April 27, 2009, 02:32 AM
Don't buy any small, light 357 Magnum snubby until you try it, or one like it, out first!

These guys beat me to it. I think the decision tree works like this:

Really small pocket gun = Yes? Then = S&W J frame = .38 = steel frame.

Upside is they shoot well, are pleasant, and you can practice with them without nerve injury. Stout .38's are totally deadly defensive rounds, don't dismiss them. And when loaded, the difference in weight between the alloy guns and steel is just not that great compared to how much more smoothly the steel guns shoot.

If Pocket? = No, then consider a 2.5" K frame (19/66 for example, used) or a Ruger. Totally manageable with the .357, very, very "pleasant" to shoot with the .38.

I joke that I have nicknames a few of my more favorite revolvers. This one would be called "Sweetness" if Stephen Colbert hadn't named his revolver that ('cause now I sounds like a copy cat, not because I detest Colbert):

PS - does anyone know what Scalia calls his Glock? ;)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/S-W/19-5/IMGP3117.jpg

hinton03
April 27, 2009, 06:49 AM
386 Night Guard.

BlacklabelOP
April 27, 2009, 08:13 AM
SP101 with buffalo bore tactical low flash .357 pew pew pew

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/sweetbeard/DSC02482.jpg

cortez kid
April 27, 2009, 11:17 AM
Personally, I carry a Mod 60-14 S&W. It's an all steel .357 with, YIKES, lock and all. Shoots great, never a hiccup. Not too heavy to carry and handles .357 just fine. I got it before I got my CCW. If I had to do over again, I'd opt for a hammer-less, but I'm used to the 60 and never feel under-gunned.
kid

iluvG.R.I.T.S
April 28, 2009, 05:34 PM
Heres mine, a 2 1/4 sp101 .357

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/657161/sp101.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-2/657161/ruger.JPG

.357MagTaurus
April 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
How about a Taurus model 605 . 357 mag?

Captain Kyle
April 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
OK, Do the hammerless wheelguns have a lighter DA trigger than a hammer model? I think I want a hammerless, for faster draw, and it wont get caught on clothing and stuff.

wnycollector
April 29, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm with Oro on this subject. If you want small and light, get a .38 S&W J frame. If you want to move up to .357...the minimum (for me) is a 3" SP101 or preferably a Ruger Six or S&W K frame snubbies.

I think I want a hammerless, for faster draw, and it wont get caught on clothing and stuff.

You might want to search out posts by Dawgfvr. He has a SWEET totally custom 3" Ruger GP100 that is hammerless. I'm pretty sure the DAO trigger on his GP is super smooth!

Deaf Smith
April 29, 2009, 08:49 PM
Smith M66 2.5 inch snubs were the sexiest revolver made! And yep, I have one.

But nowdays, a Smith 640, .357, would be the way to go. Lighter than the SP101 but not like an Airweight .38. They have pretty fair DA triggers to. And yep, I have one of those to. A 'pre-lock'.

Thingster
April 29, 2009, 10:26 PM
All steel J frame or an SP101 is what you're looking for. With practice, either will process full load .357 until you couldn't imagine to BUT running 4 or 5 cylinders of full load won't wear you out.

The J frame will normally have a better trigger off the line, but the SP101 should be more durable in the long run and more likely to process, ehhem, excessively loaded .357 :D without an issue.

For the snub .357, you really do want an all steel gun. IF you want a lightweight alloy gun, just get a 442 or LCR and call it good.

Rexster
April 29, 2009, 11:11 PM
I am a fan of the .357 SP101, as evidenced by my three 2.25" snubbies, in various hammer configurations, and one I just bought in the 3-1/16" barrel length. I routinely carry one along with my duty/carry P229 pistols, and from early 2002 to late 2007, often carried two of the snubbies as my main armament when not in uniform, sometimes accompanied by a third. No, I am not kidding!

I do enjoy short range sessions with the SP101s. (Most of my shots are fired with K-frame .22.) WWB 110-grain .357 ammo is easy on the back end, and the fewer heavier rounds I fire are handled quite well. (It does help that I don't have the largest hands.) The trick is to hold HIGH on the grip; most folks I see shooting these little guns hold too low on the grip, which increases muzzle flip markedly.

I like K- and L-framed .357 snubbies, too, but am currently without one. (I do have a 3" GP100, if y'all consider that to still be a snubby.) In the J-frame, .38 is plenty enough, thank you.

Clarence
April 30, 2009, 01:05 PM
S&W M60 - steel frame and .357's are not a problem to shoot, it is definitely an easy to conceal gun.

CorpITGuy
April 30, 2009, 01:51 PM
My .357 has a 2.5" barrel. It's loud, the recoil is bad, but if you aren't shooting it every day it's fine. As others have been saying, try before you buy.

GRIZ22
April 30, 2009, 05:43 PM
Mine is another vote for no 357 mag smaller than a K frame. I am far from recoil shy but I found the S&W 640 not fun to shoot after qualifying with magnums. The 640 is on the heavy end of 357 J frames. I used to carry mine loaded with +P+ 38s. Much easier to control.

It's not only the extra weight of the K frame but the fact that the grip being larger spreads the recoil over a larger area. Put bigger grips on the J frame and you might as well carry the K frame.

Confederate
April 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
Forget the Taurus.

I've owned quite a few, never kept any of them, never regretted letting them go.

The SP-101 lean too far towards the snub-nose. Two inches is just too short. If a revolver company really wanted to get it right, they'd put out a 3-incher, 4.5-incher and 6-incher. I just have no use for a 2-inch tube.

If I didn't have a revolver, I'd probably try to find an old Security-Six Ruger or a S&W 66 2.5-inch revolver. These guns are great for carry. The 686s and GP-100s are geared more for range use than for CCW. S&W almost had to go to stronger frames for sustained magnum shooting, but Ruger didn't. They did just because S&W did. But 66s are great for carrying, as anyone who's had one can testify.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Speed-Six_3.jpg

The Ruger Speed-Six is great for CCW. It packs one
heck of a punch as well.

Tailroller
April 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
I agree with the try before you buy. I own a S&W Mod. 19 Combat Mag. 2" it's a handful with magnum loads. Follow up shots not easy to place and it's not a light frame.

ironvic
April 30, 2009, 10:40 PM
I shoot mostly .357 Magnum so go with the S&W 686 Plus on the "L" frame with a 2 1/2" barrel. I have owned a few .38 Special J-Frames and like those too. Only problem is (even with the short barrel), the "L" frame doesn't conceal well in a pocket holster, so I tend to wear Carhartts trousers as they hide the larger frame well in the front pocket.

Still, my 686 is not a bad gun and I hope to get some classy engraving done on it because it's such a nice shooter. Definitely a keeper:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66126&d=1193371198

wellregul8dmilitiamember
May 1, 2009, 01:45 AM
I want a small 357 for ccw. I want the fit and finish to be nice and i want a fairly light DA trigger.

* Stainless steel for long term/zero effort finish. Hidden hammer. You should try the trigger pull of a SA/DA vs a DA alone. I find the DA to be smoother. But then again, you can always do a trigger job.

I like the fit and finish of the taurus 617, however i think the trigger pull is a little much.

* I've heard bad things about Tauruses. But that was about 3 years ago and a lot of guns since. In favor of Taurus, they have some innovative hammer safety systems.

Another thing, hammer vs no hammer. Pros and cons.

*You've got hammer, shrouded hammer (SW 649), a de-spurred hammer (Ruger SP101), and a hidden hammer. My vote? Hidden hammer. Zero chance of snagging ANYTHING on the hammer pull/release. But I do think the SP101 feels better overall, and at times its nice to be able to cock the hammer.

Anyone know of anything simillar in size and preformance. Please nothing really hard to find, some guns are hard to come by now a days.

* I second (or third?) the vote for the SW640. Stainless steel with hidden hammer. A bit pricey, and the 357 is a workout. But its a 'classic SW' and there are a few options to mitigate the 357 recoil. One other thing. Wait a bit if you can. Word is SW is going to re-start manufacturing w/o the safety lock.

***Take your time and do your research. A good gun is worth the effort. And remember, there's a reason why revolvers (Colt's design) have been around for nearly 200 years. ;)

Good luck!!

ArchAngelCD
May 1, 2009, 02:10 AM
It's not only the extra weight of the K frame but the fact that the grip being larger spreads the recoil over a larger area. Put bigger grips on the J frame and you might as well carry the K frame.
Griz,
While I would tend to agree with you I have a M640 and with a change in grips it's much more comfortable and very shootable. I put a full size set of Badger Custom grips on my M640 and can now shoot 145gr Winchester Silvertip Magnums without discomfort.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/M640-02.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/ArchAngelCD/M640-10.jpg

Brian-M
May 1, 2009, 11:24 AM
This has a 2.5" barrel and weighs only 24.5 oz. Recoil is acceptable with mid-level mag loads.

Blue Brick
May 1, 2009, 11:43 AM
Speed Six

Cannonball888
May 1, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm with Old Fuff....357 Magnum in a snubby isn't a good option...not in a small frame revolver. Try before you buy or you never shoot it, or sell it in rapid order.
Nah. He'll just end up shooting .38 SPL +P like most of us.

gtmtnbiker98
May 1, 2009, 01:24 PM
My vote is for the MP340, it's my daily carry. No, .357 isn't pleasant but doable.

fastbolt
May 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
Which .357 Magnum snub revolver?

Current production or out-of-production?

It depends on your experience, skills and perception of what's an acceptable compromise between too much felt recoil versus acceptable controllability, to some extent ...

Really lightweight which is going to be carried much more frequently than shot? S&W Airlite J-frame with titanium cylinder.

Reasonably lightweight which doesn't punish the hand as much as the Airlites, but is acceptable to a fair number of folks for occasional shooting?
S&W all-steel J-frame. (This seems to be an acceptable choice for a number of folks.)

Not quite as lightweight, but still reasonably small-framed and more comfortable for many folks to shoot with Magnum ammunition? Ruger SP101. (Another seemingly popular choice.)

Enjoyable to shoot? S&W K-frame 2 1/2". I happen to like this compromise for an enjoyable range session of using Magnum ammunition, myself, but then I grew up shooting Magnum revolvers and don't mind the recoil of the cartridge. Probably the quintessential short-barreled Magnum revolver.

Perhaps even more enjoyable to shoot? S&W L-frame snub.

Enjoyable to shoot with better case extraction? S&W L-frame with 3" barrel.

Similarly larger frame but lighter weight than all-steel, which means the weight savings come at the expense of some increased felt recoil? Scandium aluminum model with titanium cylinder.

Heavy for daily carry but offering what many folks consider fairly good controllability? S&W N-frame (M27/28 with the short barrel, although not as easy to find anymore. ;) )

There's something for just about anybody nowadays when it comes to a short-barreled .357 Magnum. Lots of choices, especially when you consider the used market.

The very things that make short-barreled .357 Magnum wheelguns more suitable for daily lawful concealmen, however, also arguably make them harder for many folks to shoot safely, quickly, accurately and effectively.

I really miss my earlier Ruger Speed-Six revolvers with the short barrels. I never should have allowed them to slip through my hands.

I happen to like shooting the M66 2 1/2", although nowadays I prefer to carry my Ruger SP101 2 1/4" DAO if I want to use a Magnum wheelgun for all-day carry. I'd still like to add a 3" model to my working collection someday. I wanted the 3" model when I bought the 2 1/4" DAO model but couldn't find one back then. I think the 3" SP101 would be a fairly good compromise when it comes to balancing ease-of-carry and felt recoil/controllability considerations ... as well as having enough barrel length to make the Magnum loads at least somewhat justified ... but that's just me.

My M&P 340 was bought for a couple of features which didn't include it being chambered in .357 Magnum. While I do use Magnum ammunition for occasional practice and qualification, I generally choose to carry it loaded with +P ammunition ... and I bought it with that in mind. (They didn't offer it chambered only in .38 S&W Special.)

As mentioned, anyone considering the purchase of a short-barreled .357 Magnum revolver really ought to make the effort to find representative examples to try out on the firing line for themselves, with ammunition of the type they're considering using, before investing the money. It's not uncommon to find folks who bought Magnum wheelguns only to discover they really only wanted to carry and shoot .38 Spl ammunition.

Cleaning Magnum cylinder charge holes when only .38 Spl loads are used can be annoying. ;)

malix
May 1, 2009, 03:12 PM
I put a full size set of Badger Custom grips on my M640 and can now shoot 145gr Winchester Silvertip Magnums without discomfort.

Wow those are nice looking, is that rosewood?

I may have to get some of those for my 640...

J&J
May 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
sp101 is my carry gun. I also shoot plenty with it at the range, but only to practice self defense scenarios, not to bench rest target shoot... recoil is a personal thing, some hate it, but some can do well with it. You have to shoot it to know who you are...

KevininPa
May 2, 2009, 02:37 PM
Pick up heavy things. Put them down. Eat well. Sleep a lot. Repeat...

You sound like a bricklayer.

J&J
May 2, 2009, 09:03 PM
No bricklaying:)

Just a power lifter, for fun and competition

John

FLRon
May 2, 2009, 10:44 PM
You might have to look on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica, but the Colt Python 2.5" .357 Magnum is definitely a nice way to go if your budget permits.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb128/FLRon777/ColtCarrySetup1.jpg

Barker45
May 2, 2009, 10:47 PM
Wow, lots of great advice here! Here's my .02$:
Had a Ruger Speed six and sold it like a fool! Great gun good for belt carry.
Ruger Sp101, also sold it like a fool! great gun but not as nice as my Speed Six.
S&W 19-3 (2.5"), one of my favorite guns, beautiful to hold, look at, shoot, and carry! wonderful trigger!
S&W 640-1. 2.1/8" .357 I LOVE THIS GUN! I used to carry a 642 (still own it) when off duty but this 640 has one of the best triggers I have ever had on a revolver. I carry it both pocket and belt. I treat it like a K frame in that i mostly shoot .38spl +p with the occasional magnum. Of all my guns, I carry the S&W 640-1 and my CZ P-01 the most! They are works of art that I can bet my life on!
Whatever you buy, have a blast and shoot a lot!

If you enjoyed reading about "357 Snub, Which one??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!