GP100 cylinder binds

April 26, 2009, 11:05 PM
I had the Ruger GP100 at the range the other day. I fired six rounds DA and ejected the cases with a sharp rap on the ejector rod with the edge of my hand. When I tried to close the reloaded cylinder it wouldn't close and i didn't shoot any more. The cylinder can be closed in certain positions in its rotation but won't cycle through one "tight" spot in the action. I had the store where I bought it send it back to Ruger for repairs. Any thoughts on what caused the new issue?

I thought I had a headspace problem with this gun when i first bought it, but i didn't send it back. here's the thread about that:

If you enjoyed reading about "GP100 cylinder binds" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
April 27, 2009, 03:37 AM
Were you shooting reloads? If so you might have shot too light a load and some unburnt powder got under the ejector which would bind the cylinder. Even if they weren't reloads there might be some dirt under there.

April 27, 2009, 05:22 AM
nope, not caused by crap under the ejector. the only six rounds i fired at the range that day were factory .38 special rounds.

April 27, 2009, 07:33 AM
your ejector rod may have a very slight bow in it. happened to me once on a smith 13.

G. Freeman
April 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
The cylinder binding issue is common on GP's. I've owned 3 GP's and 2 of them had that problem. It didn't occur that early in its shooting though. Ruger will take care of you, but you'll have to wait a couple of months to get your piece back.

April 30, 2009, 01:22 AM
If it binds at one point in the rotation more than others, it is likely a bent center pin (or whatever Ruger call that part) or a high spot on the cylinder. Bill G mentioned a bowed ejector rod, and with an S&W, he would be right, (bowed or bent) as I had a Model 60 with that very problem, but the GP100's ejector rod does not turn with the cylinder, so it would not be a factor in this case. Ruger's CS has a good reputation for taking care of folks.

April 30, 2009, 12:52 PM
i`ve owned many GPs & only had one to bind & it was a headspace problem.
sounds like you`ve covered all the bases a owner is supposed to & maybe more.
call ruger & get a prepaid box out to ya & let em get it rite , don`t worry Ruger will take care of ya.

checked my records on the one that bound up , they replaced the crane asm.

May 1, 2009, 11:50 AM
My GP did that when it was new; worked perfectly when empty, but bound up when loaded. Ruger fixed it and it's perfect now. They replaced several parts, but I never understood the cause of the problem.
May 1, 2009, 12:03 PM
Had a timing issue on two chambers and a binding problem on my GP.

Sent it to the Ruger Warranty Center in Quebec. It was back in 2-3 weeks problem solved. Works perfectly now.

If you enjoyed reading about "GP100 cylinder binds" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!