Colt 1860 - What's the value?

PDA

kdave21
April 27, 2009, 12:58 AM
So I dabble in gun dealing but this is the first time I have come across an 1860 as a dealer. I believe I have correctly identified this as a standard round cylinder army, three screw w/spot for shoulder attachment. The finish is all rusty patina, no silver on the trigger gaurd, a bit of scene, some significant pitting on the area in front of the trigger gaurd, not the serial number right in front of the trigger gaurd, but the serial number that lines up next to it is really pitted, almost unreadable. All numbers that I can see appear to match, not a lot of pitting, mainly just what I mentioned. Mechanically there is something wrong, sometimes the hammer does not stay back when it is pulled back, and it depends whether you have the gun pointed down or like you were about to shoot. Definitely an issue there though. Markings on barrel good, I dont think it has ever been cleaned, the ".44" seems to have worn away on the trigger gaurd though (I am assuming its a .44") serial numbered in the 80,000 range so should be civil war. The guy wants $1000 for it. Can I make any money on this or should I pass on this risk? What do you think? Oh yeah, the bore is dark but has excellent rifling and the grips are good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1860 - What's the value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oyeboten
April 27, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'd pass...

There's a lot of "1860"s out there, and they have a good following of course.

Decent, shootable, 'smooth-enough' patina, no Blue worn with some small piting but un-messed with, decent Cylinder Scene, ones are often less than 2 grand...much less even...far as I've seen...but they go 'up' fast as for fine points of condition.

Local Pawn Shop has a very decent, no 'pits', smooth patina with various tiny dings, good Screw Heads, good Caruches, ledgible Cyl scene shootable one, for $1,750.00...and they are very sharp on firearms and prices.

I hope others more savvy will post replies also...but so far, in my looking at or following "1860"s, such is my opinion.

Phil
l v

kdave21
April 27, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Phil for the feedback...maybe this one is better for consignment....

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt 1860 - What's the value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!