Could we add a footer?

PDA

CapnMac
April 27, 2009, 03:37 AM
The footer I miss, especially in great long threads, is a duplicate of the Site navigation header (the User CP to Log Out header)

Failing that, a Return to Top button would be nice, if the overhead for a new footer is too complicated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Could we add a footer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
April 27, 2009, 04:10 AM
Most browsers have a "Return to Top" function accessed by pressing the keybard button labelled "Home". In the event your browser doesn't like the home key, even the longest threads are quickly scrolled through by holding the "Page Up" or "Page Down" keys.

Either changes to the footer or adding the button would require modification of the templates which wouldn't be practical until the forum software is updated again, otherwise, any changes will just have to be recreated and tested. As such, it's not something that would be a quick change at this point.

Hopefully the keyboard shortcuts will suffice for the time being. If you are reading on a mobile device, such as a Blackberry, they also have commands to jump to the top. Hope the helps.

Six
April 27, 2009, 09:11 AM
Heh, look in the bottom right corner of this very screen, there's already a link labeled "Top"

Mal H
April 27, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yep, the "Top" button or "Home" key is what you're looking for. The User CP is also available in the Forum Jump menu at the bottom.

But, I have to ask why would you (or anyone on their own system) want to log out if that is the reason to get back to the top? You will be logged out automatically after 20 minutes of no activity if the "Remember me" box wasn't checked on login. If it was checked, that means you want the benefits of auto-login when you return or during long periods of idle time such as when composing a long post. It's the best of both worlds, so to speak, you don't remain logged in when you don't want to and you don't have to login when you come back.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 27, 2009, 01:13 PM
Heh, look in the bottom right corner of this very screen, there's already a link labeled "Top"
D'oh! You can tell how much I use the bottom nav bar, can't you? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Could we add a footer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!