Too hot?

PDA

moooose102
April 27, 2009, 06:40 AM
yes, i know, another wrong primer question. but it certainly is not for a lack of searching. :scrutiny: some combinations can be done safely by reducing the loads, and i do not have enough experience with this, so i am asking. federal magnum primers, and AA#7 in 45 auto. can this combo work, or it it going to be trouble? i will reduce by 20% for starters,. but what i do not know is if aa#7 is so volitle that it will ignite all at once :what: (with the magnum primers) instead of burn.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too hot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
April 27, 2009, 07:41 AM
It will work. Definitely not the best combo for it, but you will be OK. You can use the start load in manuals with AA #7, even with the mag primer.

The Bushmaster
April 27, 2009, 08:45 AM
What Walkalong said. No need to start at -20%. Start at the start load in your manual and work up. Again. This is where a chronograph would be a big help.

Let us know how it comes out. Especially if you use a chronograph.

moooose102
April 27, 2009, 07:04 PM
Thats fine, i just did not want to have missing or mangled body parts!

RyanM
April 27, 2009, 07:19 PM
Magnum primers are supposed to only add the equivalent of something like 0.1 or 0.2 grain of extra powder. I'd just cut the max load by 0.5 grain to be safe (and then reduce that by 10% as a starting load), and that should be enough to not worry about it, as long as the other components are the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too hot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!