midwayusa.com

PDA

AcceptableUserName
April 27, 2009, 04:31 PM
Worst website ever. This thing is terrible. Even at non-peak times of the day page constantly refuses to load for explicable reason, etc. etc. Pretty unprofessional. I have fast internet for this kind of stuff....hope this problem can be corrected...I've wanted to buy from Midway before and haven't because of the awful website...Brownells is equally as bad...they both fail to return obvious search results....return stuff totally unrelated to what I typed in....As much as I hate Cheaper Than Dirt, at least their site works...

If you enjoyed reading about "midwayusa.com" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
April 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
Jeez, don't get your c-bag in a knot! Might be your ISP, Midway's site always works great for me.

AcceptableUserName
April 27, 2009, 04:43 PM
doubtful. Every other site I use works great....

rogertc1
April 27, 2009, 04:45 PM
Works great for me...perhaps you need to replace your 20 yr old computer?

average_shooter
April 27, 2009, 04:45 PM
Midway is working just dandy for me.

Is your browser updated to the latest version? Do you need to check your settings? Are you behind any sort of firewall that might be causing issues?

Midway has rarely caused me any trouble and usually hitting "Refresh" fixes whatever error occurred.

Gryffydd
April 27, 2009, 04:46 PM
It's not his ISP. Midway's site does in fact suck. I have a background in web programming (NOT web design), and given any ISP, any hardware, or any operating system and any browser the problems are the same. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes you get constant errors and slowness no matter what you do, and the search function sucks all the time. Sometimes hitting refresh fixes the problem and sometimes it takes 5 or 6 tries.

That said, I buy from them pretty frequently...whenever I find something I won't get bent over for shipping on ;)

Samgotit
April 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
I like Midway, but I agree. Their site can slow to a creep at times, that's apart from the site being generally slow in the first place, and often many of the site's links don't work correctly.

I agree that's it not his ISP or browser. I view it from different locations and browsers with the same results.

Also, As Gryffydd implied, their search function is about as useful as tits on a boar hog.

Bill_Rights
April 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
I was frustrated too until I realized that when, after you search, and you get a screen saying something like
Products you are currently viewing: 5.11 Tactical Clothing drag bag

Your search returned no results, please broaden your search and try again.and you see some red dot-X symbols http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww25/Bill_Rights/btnRedX.jpgto the right of "5.11 Tactical Clothing", "drag" and "bag", respectively, you actually can left-click on the red Xs and see the products MidwayUSA has in those categories.

Don't ask me why their web pages are so mind-numbingly stupidly set up. But they do work. Kinda.

Walkalong
April 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
Midway at times is just super sloooooooooooooooooow. :banghead:

Overall it is a very good site. They have been upgrading, and hopefully when they are done, that issue will be better, hopefully.

Don't ask me why their web pages are so mind-numbingly stupidly set up
Yep, Lots of wasted space, and poorly laid out. An organized mind did NOT design this site.

CoRoMo
April 27, 2009, 04:53 PM
No probs here, skipped around their site just now.

If only their prices were a little lower, I'd visit them more.

SquirrelNuts
April 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have only positive experiences with MidWay. I know a lot of people complain about their shipping, but I order a lot of items from them, and I think their shipping is actually lower than what I would expect.

AcceptableUserName
April 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
Love the company...just wish they'd supercharge the site or something because it gets really bogged down apparently. At it's fastest it's comparable toc heaper than dirt's SLOWEST!

essayons21
April 27, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah the site sucks, but their selection, customer service, and shipping is great. You can shop around and find some cheaper stuff on other websites, but by buying everything at one place you make up that difference on shipping. Also if you shop the sales and clearance items you can get some good stuff for dirt cheap.

AirplaneDoc
April 27, 2009, 05:06 PM
I have notived it has been really slow latley as well. Also, their shipping is getting a bit out of line.

Samgotit
April 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah the site sucks, but their selection, customer service, and shipping is great. You can shop around and find some cheaper stuff on other websites, but by buying everything at one place you make up that difference on shipping. Also if you shop the sales and clearance items you can get some good stuff for dirt cheap.

Four months ago I'd would have totally agreed with you. Unfortunately, every time I try to get "everything" nowadays from Midway, 1/3 to 1/2 of it must be backordered (not necessarily their fault, though).

Surprisingly, for one of my last orders, I checked Kempf Gun Shop and everything was in stock at nearly the same price.

SquirrelNuts
April 27, 2009, 05:08 PM
Can someone give a specific example of high shipping costs? Most of my orders are around $200 and the shipping is between $10-$12. I consider that to be reasonable. My last order merchandise total was $240.50, and the shipping was $12.49.

runrabbitrun
April 27, 2009, 05:12 PM
It's all the flash animation and those 'new' flash cookies.
(Web 2.0?)

They want to know who you are and want to track you
in ways that we can't prevent them from doing so.

Web designers forget that many people are still on dial up too.
When they wonder why sales are down,
only the one with balls in the group will
pipe in and tell them the facts.

He/she may keep their job for pointing out the obvious.
Or maybe not.

dudester
April 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
It's way slow for me. I don't go there because of it.

essayons21
April 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
Four months ago I'd would have totally agreed with you. Unfortunately, every time I try to get "everything" nowadays from Midway, 1/3 to 1/2 of it must be backordered (not necessarily their fault, though).

Surprisingly, for one of my last orders, I checked Kempf Gun Shop and everything was in stock at nearly the same price.

Reloading supplies and ammunition are the only thing I have noticed to be consistently backordered, which is understandable given current circumstances.

I guess since nothing I buy is a "needed" item, I have no problem waiting until it is in stock and on sale.

SquirrelNuts
April 27, 2009, 05:18 PM
Ok. I just tried to order one box of Nosler bullets as a test. It is $16.49. The calculated shipping on it is $9.62. That certainly is nuts.

I never order less than $150 - $200 in my reloading orders no matter where. It seems that if you place an order, they charge you about the same for shipping regardless of the total amount.

Gryffydd
April 27, 2009, 05:54 PM
Can someone give a specific example of high shipping costs?
SquirrelNuts had a good one... Really it's a hit or miss thing. Sometimes shipping is OK, sometimes it's not. Try buying 1000 250gr bullets...$30 in shipping. If they used flat rate Priority Mail like all the commercial casters do It'd be about $10.

SquirrelNuts
April 27, 2009, 05:56 PM
I asked and asnwered my own question. :)

possum
April 27, 2009, 05:56 PM
sorry that you are having issues. the site works great for me, and i love the company, i order form them all the time.

Gryffydd
April 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
I asked and asnwered my own question.
Ha! :o I should really pay more attention...

runrabbitrun
April 27, 2009, 06:00 PM
possum... Hinesville, GA?

Ha... Been there done that.
It was a good time. :)

average_shooter
April 27, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ok. I just tried to order one box of Nosler bullets as a test. It is $16.49. The calculated shipping on it is $9.62. That certainly is nuts.

Something else about this, Midway charges something like $3 as a "handling charge" for orders that total under $20 or $25. That would bring your shipping cost mentioned above down to $6.62 if you had bought two boxes instead of just the one.

Also, I've noticed a couple times that the default shipping estimate suggested to me was not necessarily the cheapest option. So I'm careful during the checkout phase to make sure I select the cheapest shipping option, which usually ends up being USPS and takes about a week for me to receive my order.

AirplaneDoc
April 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
I recently ordered a shell sorter from Midway. The shipping bill of $10 would have been 25% of the order. I happened to know someone going by, and had them pick it up for me for free.

Compared to Grafs $4.95 shipping fee, Midway is high.

browningguy
April 27, 2009, 06:33 PM
I just placed another order today, yes they can be a little slow at times, but if you are just looking to complain why don't you tell them, none of us can fix it.

bearmgc
April 27, 2009, 06:34 PM
Never had any problems with the Midway site.

Walkalong
April 27, 2009, 06:35 PM
Sometimes Midways shipping is way high, sometimes it is not. They really need to look at how they figure shipping. I know it loses them sales, myself included.

why don't you tell them, none of us can fix it.I did, months and months ago.

AirplaneDoc
April 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
why don't you tell them, none of us can fix it.

I did say something to them about the web site being slow. In fact to someone pretty high up at midway, I met thru a mutual friend who lives in Columbia. He told me he would say something on Monday (A few weeks back). I know how IT people are, so I am not expecting instant results, hopefully something will get done soon.

SquirrelNuts
April 27, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hooah!

wormserco
April 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
Midwayusa.com does have bandwidth issues at times... I'm sure they're getting more hits and traffic than their backbone was really designed for. Latency is horrible at times.. but I still think they're one of the best on the internet! I refuse to order from cheaperthandiamonds anymore

Afy
April 27, 2009, 07:14 PM
Try MidwayUk.co.uk...
Horrible service and delivery. Also often mix up orders... :(

Captain Kyle
April 27, 2009, 07:17 PM
I agree, the website is worthless. When going from page to page sometimes it wont go and sometimes it will skip. It loads slower than any other website i can think of as well.

Cannonball888
April 27, 2009, 07:27 PM
Try http://www.midwayuk.com/
Horrible service and delivery. Also often mix up orders...
No ammo. How depressing. But I don't understand why they sell pistol magazines. Who are they selling to, LEOs?

Afy
April 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
Pistols are illegal in the UK.
You could use the magazines as throwing weapons... ;)
More importantly ammo is face to face..
Thank god for France. (Not a joke... gun laws rock .... for EU that is)

Coyote_Hunter_
April 28, 2009, 12:18 AM
Midwayusa.com works fine for me as well.

casey b
April 28, 2009, 12:37 AM
I have purchased several things from Midway and it is always very slow for me to.

AKElroy
April 28, 2009, 01:00 AM
Midway is my favorite online source---I have no trouble with the site & have total confidence in them. They may not be the cheapest, but knowing who I am dealing with is worth a few bucks. I would bet they are aware of these posts & my guess would be they will be all over any tech issues.

Rancho Relaxo
April 28, 2009, 01:12 AM
Wow, and I always thought it was just my crappy rural internet connection...

Funderb
April 28, 2009, 01:18 AM
works fine for me too.

Ed Ames
April 28, 2009, 01:19 AM
Oh no, Midway USA has some of the slowest servers (and it isn't their bandwidth per se) around.

If you do much searching you'll start seeing a bunch of "web service failed" type errors... that's a sign that one part of their site (the front end server you are talking to) is having a hard time talking to one of the back end servers (perhaps an inventory tracking system, a database, or who knows what) ... most likely because that back end server is overloaded.

That's been true for years.

Flintknapper
April 28, 2009, 01:21 AM
Site works fine for me.

Never had a problem with midway, great company and service IMO.

Ed Ames
April 28, 2009, 01:24 AM
Yeah, it works... I order there from time to time... but I've got a fast 'net connection and they are consistently among the slowest sites I visit... and the reasons, as far as I can tell, have more to do with their servers than anything else.

357sigRog
April 28, 2009, 02:11 AM
I buy things from Midway all the time and I am impressed with their quick shipping but every once in a while the website is slow I have noticed. I have also noticed that their shipping rates are about 3 to 4 dollars higher than Bass Pro when both are shipping from Missouri to Tennessee. But besides that I do like doing business with them.

moooose102
April 28, 2009, 07:09 AM
there website has steadily declined over the past several months. i dont know if they are flooded with that much extra traffic, or if they have lost there computer tech person. but it does get very annoying. i have gone as far as sending an e-mail to larry potterfield (owner), but there was no response. none. it is actually one of the better websites out there, you can actually get a decent photo and description of what you are going to buy. but it has gotten so slow that it is now horrible to browse / order from. natches and graff's website loads much faster, but sometimes, it feels (at least to me) that you may be buying a pig in a poke. i know that my purchases have suffered from their slowness. lets face it, who wants to spend 30 minutes to place an order for 5 or 6 items!

redneck2
April 28, 2009, 07:11 AM
You could get wild and crazy and just get a Master Catalog. That's what I use. #32 is on my shelf above me right now. Back when I was a child, I learned to use a thing called "index". Tells you right where everything is. Might want to try it. Never slow, never has glitches, works even when the power is out.

chuckusaret
April 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
The reason they don't up grade their site, you are still using the present site with all the problems to buy from them. Why should they spend the money to upgrade.

chuckusaret
April 28, 2009, 11:16 AM
possum... Hinesville, GA?

Gee, first time I have heard anything about Hinesville since I left Hunter AAF in 1974. Every thing was a little slow back then, hey they have computers now, we didn't when I was there, was happy to have a radio and one TV station.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 28, 2009, 11:20 AM
Works fine for me.

Select the USPS option for lower shipping rates---UPS sucks anyway---and the post office is faster.

And yes--you need to spend $25 to not get raped by the extra handling charge.

Furncliff
April 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
In general I like Midway. The Midway range bag I received for my birthday last year is a hell of a buy and after a year it is still my favorite. BUT the web site sucks. For all the above reasons.

MIDWAY your web page is frustrating some very good customers.

Ed Ames
April 28, 2009, 11:46 AM
Lol... telling people to traceroute when they are reporting web service error messages in the application. Sorry KD but you've got to admit that's funny. Especially today when everyone blocks ping at the server. (I could get into a pissing contest WRT 12 years, but who gains?)

Master catalogs are fine... they send me the dealer catalogs regularly and I do browse them but frankly paper catalogs just don't have the same feel as a website. Call me nostalgic but I would miss the glow, the ability to filter search results, the reviews, and just the overall experience. There is something about electronic media that just feels better than paper...hard to explain.

I received a care package from Midway just yesterday. Meprolight sights and a few other "gotta have" odds and ends that seem to have disappeared in a haze of discarded packaging at this point. Good prices, good service, fair shipping...good company...but server problems, they have a few.

Could be I'm a night owl and they maintain their indexes while I'm in a shopping mood.

ilbob
April 28, 2009, 12:26 PM
Midway's web site has the same kind of problems a lot of web sites have. It gets a little flakey under heavy usage.

Most of the time it works well. I have never had any serious issues with it. if it is not working, try again a few minutes later.

WC145
April 28, 2009, 12:40 PM
The Midway site works great for me. In fact, just yesterday morning I ordered a red dot mount and some scope rings. Got an email in the afternoon that they were in the mail and on the way.

That's one of my favorite things about Midway, they'll send smaller stuff via USPS. It was nice to only pay $6.57 for priority mail and know I'll have it by the end of the week instead of twice that for UPS that wouldn't get here until at least next Monday.

RP88
April 28, 2009, 01:05 PM
Midway works great for me. Them and Bravoco. are my favorite sites to buy from. Good customer service, good shipping, good pricing, good selection.

Ben86
April 28, 2009, 01:12 PM
It can be slow sometimes, but they have ALOT of traffic. I suppose they could solve the problem by creating a website that uses less bandwith or buy more bandwith. I doubt either will happen though.

Acera
April 28, 2009, 01:18 PM
I appreciate the support Midway shows for the shooting sports in their sponsorship of the Outdoor Channel's Wednesday Night at The Range. So I support them.

I find their site a darn site better to navigate than:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/
http://www.brownells.com

Gryffydd
April 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
It can be slow sometimes, but they have ALOT of traffic. I suppose they could solve the problem by creating a website that uses less bandwith or buy more bandwith. I doubt either will happen though.
I really don't think it's a bandwidth issue. The problem is either with their back end database or their front end application. Most likely the latter given some of the errors I've seen. Personally I'm not a fan of the ASP.NET platform they use, so maybe I'm biased :D

Gryffydd
April 28, 2009, 02:09 PM
You can do it yourself (unless you're on a subnet setup)
Um..that's what routers are for.
The site is super fast for me. That means it isn't the servers.
Righto. It's super fast for me right now too. It's just not reliably super fast. And sometimes it's just super fast to return a 500 error or something similar.
If there's a problem your ISP will know it and they will know how to fix it or they should anyway.
There's not a lot most ISPs can do once your traffic hits the backbones. At that point your packets are out of their hands.

rogertc1
April 30, 2009, 11:08 AM
just wonder how many of youall still have dial up?

rbernie
April 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
I really don't think it's a bandwidth issue. The problem is either with their back end database or their front end application. Most likely the latter given some of the errors I've seen.I concur.

But that doesn't stop me from using them. For many things, they are cheaper than Brownells and their customer support is just as good.

Gryffydd
April 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
But that doesn't stop me from using them.
Me neither...though my wife might wish it did :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "midwayusa.com" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!