new to relaoding lead

PDA

Kraylon
April 27, 2009, 10:06 PM
im looking to start reloading lead swc's for my sig 45 and mu wife's sig 40 I know that for target shooting the 200gr swc works great for the 45 but what weigh is the normal swc for target shooting in the 40??

If you enjoyed reading about "new to relaoding lead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bfoosh006
April 27, 2009, 10:17 PM
Not to steal your thread but... try these lead bullets,http://shop.blackbulletsinternational.com/main.sc once I started using them I never looked back. There is NO smoke. (safer for your health too, burning hot lead fumes are about the worst/fastest way to get lead poisoning)
And the newest "Lyman" reloading manual has tons of data.

Krakkon
April 27, 2009, 10:20 PM
So what are "Black Bullets" made out of?

bfoosh006
April 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
They are still lead,but have a coating like the old Fed. Nyclad rounds.

Its a plastic-like coating, resists melting and protects the powder flame from burning the lead. And has always kept my bore very clean.

Here you go...https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/

Randy1911
April 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
Most of the lead bullets I see are TC (Trunicated Cone) and are in the 180 gr.. They shoot good in my 1911 with 4.7 grs. of W231.

sqlbullet
April 28, 2009, 01:08 PM
I use 175 gr SWC in my 10mm for target. I cast my own, so I can't direct you to a source I would vouch for in purchase.

The smoke produced by lead cast bullets is from the lube, not the lead. Lead poisoning is a hazard when shooting indoors if the range has poor ventilation. But the lead oxide is from the primer.

Keep in mind that plastic shotgun wads and gas checks don't melt, and their melting point is half that of the melting point of lead, let alone the vaporization point.

Handling of lead bullets is another source of concern, however, if good hygiene is not practiced, lead bullets are only a small part of your concern. Once again, the serious concern is primer residue, which may be high in lead oxides.

The blackbullets products appear to be reasonably priced compared to other coated or plated lead bullets.

Marlin 45 carbine
April 28, 2009, 01:43 PM
231 seems to be a recommended powder for cast slug users - I've never used it though.
I load all my cast slugs over Red Dot or BullsEye - most loaders say the fast powders are best for cast slugs. I get best results with R Dot.

Kraylon
May 3, 2009, 02:32 PM
lots of good info but my question has still not been answered

What grain of lead is the most acurate in the 40 and is avabile in swc??

unloaded
May 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
The .40 S&W was really designed around TC bullets not SWC. I'd start with 180g to keep the velocity down.

peace.
unloaded

If you enjoyed reading about "new to relaoding lead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!