Blended Style

PDA

StephanFowler
April 28, 2009, 09:12 AM
Had a customer ask for a mix/match of a couple of my more popular styles.

He wanted the Blade shape and size of my "Slim Fighter" with a guard like my S Guard stag pieces, with an Ironwood handle

whaddya think???

8" 1084 Blade w/ Hamon
Wrought S Guard and Fileworked spacer
Ironwood handle.

http://fowlerblades.com/web/wp-content/gallery/2009-knives/ironwoodslim.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Blended Style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
7X57chilmau
April 28, 2009, 09:32 AM
Very nice work! Looks like you filled his wishes nicely.

I'd have preferred a slightly smaller guard, mayb 3/4's the size, but that's what Custom is all about, right?

Very nice work. I'd love for you to describe in detail your heat treatment process that yeilds that hammon, but would understand if you preferred not to divulge.

J

StephanFowler
April 28, 2009, 09:49 AM
nothing particularly special about the HT except you need to be pretty careful with your temperatures.

I normalize several times, depending on how "dramatic" I want the hamon,

I quench using Parks #50 and 1084 will through harden VERY easily due to the manganese content, this batch even more so because it has vanadium in it, even with thick clay.

So what I do is use Multiple normalization cycles to lower the hardenability of the steel by refining the grain a LOT

other than that it's pretty much a standard HT for a Hamon

forge to shape
normalize 3x
grind clean
(for this one I normalized 3x again to lower the hardenability and shrink the grain)
apply Satanite clay to define hamon
heat to 1450 Deg F
quench into Parks #50
temper 2x at 450 Deg F (gives me around 59 RC)
polish

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 28, 2009, 12:04 PM
I think that I want one; nice! :eek: :)

7X57chilmau
April 28, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thank-you! I assume you're doing your HT in an oven, not open forge?

I'm gonna have to get me an oven one of these days...

J

JShirley
April 28, 2009, 07:10 PM
Beautiful! About perfect for a small fighter...

(Yes, I know it's not small in most folks' book.)

John

Gordon
April 28, 2009, 07:36 PM
Agreed! Someone was very wise and you did a wonderful job. Beautiful!!

Gordon
April 28, 2009, 07:40 PM
Think I want a Bootstremph Bowie!

Gordon
April 28, 2009, 09:15 PM
I just ordered his S guard fighter like the green micarta handled one shown in his gallery. I want Ebony scales however. I am excited about this knife, he looks like he makes knives after my own heart, which means Carbon steel, hand forged blades and mountings, flat ground,hamon, NO: sub hilts or weird blade geometry(chisels and linoleam knife designs) or round or wound grips ect.

StephanFowler
April 28, 2009, 10:38 PM
I've done a couple subhilts, but only on request, I don't care for the limited grip positions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blended Style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!