S&W 637 & Comp I problems

PDA

April 28, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am new to the revovler game, so I am still trying to get to where I am proficient with my newly acquired 637. I have a Safariland Comp I speedloader that I am using, but I am having problems with the loader clearing the stock grips. It is a very tight fit and barely squeezes by. I can get it to release the cartridges except one, the one furthest away from the gun. I guess the grips are exerting enough pressure agaist the loader and cartridge to get it wedged. If I rotate the cylinder it drops most of the time, but that is just another step that I would rather not be there. Has anyone else had this problem? And how did you fix it? Do the HKS loaders do the same?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 637 & Comp I problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
April 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have an HKS for my little J-frame and it works fine. It is a tight fit, but all the rounds drop out.

The speed loader has to be held at a slight angle away from the grips, and it's best to keep it loose, not wedged against the gun. Don't jam it all the way up against the cylinder, either.

April 28, 2009, 05:56 PM
I may have to get an HKS loader to try it. The safariland loader has to get close enough to the cylinder so that it depresses the button in the middle to release the rounds. Maybe that is the problem, and an HKS loader will fix that since turning the knob on the back of the loader is what releases the rounds. Right?

ArmedBear
April 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yes, sounds like it.

The HKS loader locks the rounds in, and releases them, manually, with the knob. You could hold the thing somewhere over the gun and just drop the rounds if you wanted.

There's a lot to be said for the Safariland design, but probably not with the J-frame.

The other option would be to go to old-style grips if you really want to use the Safariland. I'm not sure the speedloader would fit with them, but they're a lot skinnier than the new ones.

This is what they used to have:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Getting%20a%20Grip%20on%20J%20Frames_files/image002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 637 & Comp I problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!